Spyder Garage

Default Steering column play--How much?

Noticed a little steering column play and wondered what is the norm for this. My head tech thinks we might replace it while still under warranty. I would guess maybe 3/4 of an inch static with or without the engine running. Have not seen this subject discussed here yet. With all the experts on here I am sure I can get some opinions.
    What have others experienced?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

They all have a little. Mine is about 1/2 inch now or so.
    I think as the ball links wear it gets sloppier.. I am not going to worry about it unless it gets even worse. I don't notice it while riding.

I helped do a lot of BRP demo rides out here and rode a lot of different Spyders. Something I did notice was the 2016 RT models had a lot more NEW than previous years. A few of them I was like wow... this is a lot. Again though it did not seem to effect riding. Only notice it static when parked.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 09-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine seems to split the difference between you both: 5/8"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The loose play does not seem to affect the steering but I was a little concerned when the Tech (who is head Mech at very large dealer here) mentioned it. In a previous thread Lamont mentioned 0.08" play is normal. Most of us are way over that. I will have Ann and Joe (Squared Away) give me an opinion at Red Rocks Rally next week also.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

At the rally check some of the 2015-16 models. I think you will find a lot of them have more than you do.
    Not sure why that is but again I noticed it on brand new RT's at demo rides.
    Possibly some change in parts or something on these years.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose that this is somewhat a matter of perspective...
    We used to have a 1964 Ford F-100 truck, that we used around the property to haul firewood, dirt, and rocks.
    The steering had a bout six inches of "play" in it, before the front wheels would start to get with the program.
    My kid Sister learned to drive in that truck: I wonder if that's her problem today??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Steering play

I have a 2010 and the play is such, 1/2", that at various times I have been concerned. I keep looking at my front wheels for possible "out-of-balance", but that is not the case.

By the way I am currently runninf two Bridgestone tires on the front and am getting very good mileage, over 20,000 miles so far and holding their balances.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Have Ann and Joe take a look at it and you will get your answer and be able to rest easy. I have noticed more on the RT's but mostly while not moving but would not worry till you feel it while driving...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

The loose play does not seem to affect the steering but I was a little concerned when the Tech (who is head Mech at very large dealer here) mentioned it. In a previous thread Lamont mentioned 0.08" play is normal. Most of us are way over that. I will have Ann and Joe (Squared Away) give me an opinion at Red Rocks Rally next week also.

Jack
    Good idea. They know their stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Noticed a little steering column play and wondered what is the norm for this. My head tech thinks we might replace it while still under warranty. I would guess maybe 3/4 of an inch static with or without the engine running. Have not seen this subject discussed here yet. With all the experts on here I am sure I can get some opinions.
    What have others experienced?

Jack
    Just measured mine at 3/8" at the end of the bars.
    Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Steering Play

I just went out and measured my 2015 RT. Very rough measurement was 3/16" to 1/4". No concern for me. I had never noticed it at all previously, but I have read on this site of several having to have steering component replacement. That put a question in my mind regarding steering problems. When turning the handlebars to lock the glove box, it seems to me as if a major strain is being placed on the steering components. The wheels are being turned full lock while not rolling. Just a thought. I'd like to hear the opinion of others. Particularly some of you who have experience working on these things.

Spyder Garage

Doesn't make sense to replace the steering column unless you have side to side play or can rock the ends of the handlebars up and down.
    The slop most people I think are talking about is rocking the handlebars left and right horizontally and seeing play before the tires start to move.
    Let's go back to 2013 for a bit. Some were complaining of slop and steering issues. Turned out BRP had a bad batch of ball links and replaced them on some 2013 models.

I am not saying that is the issue now but the ball links are the wear items (or king pin bearings) and would probably be the cause of this kind of slop.
    My opinion anyway.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Jack what did you learn at Red Rocks from Joe and Ann about your steering play?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have Ann and Joe take a look at it and you will get your answer and be able to rest easy. I have noticed more on the RT's but mostly while not moving but would not worry till you feel it while driving...
    That's been my experience; maybe 3/4" at the handlebar ends while sitting in the garage without engine running.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Jack what did you learn at Red Rocks from Joe and Ann about your steering play?
    That would be good to know, I agree.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Put it in the wrong place and tried (but obviously failed) to delete it
    It's gone now
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I frequently move the bike around without the engine running and haven't noticed any play in the handlebars. If anything, they feel stiff.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I suppose that this is somewhat a matter of perspective...
    We used to have a 1964 Ford F-100 truck, that we used around the property to haul firewood, dirt, and rocks.
    The steering had a bout six inches of "play" in it, before the front wheels would start to get with the program.
    My kid Sister learned to drive in that truck: I wonder if that's her problem today??
    That wasn't play that was to build momentum & allowing proper positioning to not sprain your wrist, also why it needed the 16" school bus steering wheel for leverage poor millennials will never know true "POWER STEERING ", much less how to ride in a vehicle with no cup holders

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights