Spyder Garage

Default Squeaky rear brakes

Worked on mine today. It's a 08 GS SM5. Found both bolts had grooves in them. Took and polished the pins and added springs between the pads on both pins. So far no noise at all. Even backing up no noise.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default No Squeaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Worked on mine today. It's a 08 GS SM5. Found both bolts had grooves in them. Took and polished the pins and added springs between the pads on both pins. So far no noise at all. Even backing up no noise.
    David
    Sounds like you have a good fix for a problem. I had a 2008 GS and the brakes drove me crazy in reverse they made great "backup alarms"! Tried new pads, cleaners, magic elixirs, and ear plugs. Thought about springs but thought that was too easy. I'm sure that many may benefit from your fix.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice...!!

Grooved pins will keep the pads hung up causing the squeal. You found a great solution but make sure the springs will not keep the pads from fully closing or you will get uneven wear no the pads .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Grooved pins will keep the pads hung up causing the squeal. You found a great solution but make sure the springs will not keep the pads from fully closing or you will get uneven wear no the pads .
    I think the grooved pins was most of the problem. Not worried about the shoes not seating. I can push the springs together with my fingers. The brakes puts out a lot of presser on the dish. Will see how they hold out. Was hoping to order just the pin, but only offered with the pads or bushing kit.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Great idea!

I'll try that! I've chucked the pins in a drill press and polished them, but the springs are a great idea! Next squealer I get, I will try it! Thanks!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system