Spyder Garage

Default Success on adding a ION camera to a RT

I was inspired to add the ION camera by Tazzel. Thanks Tazzel!

The top of the dash is to high to mount the camera on the handlebar and have it viewing the road. Besides with the weird shape of the handlebar it would have been difficult.
    I had bought the camera via Amazon for about $45 and the iON Camera5002 Helmet and Bike Kit https://www.amazon.com/iON-Camera-50...0FRA0B1GXKZNRD .
    There was two fixtures to mount the camera on helmets but the curvature of the helmets is a lot different then the small curvature of top of the RT dash. So decided to reshape one of the fixtures.

Using a microwave and clamping I finally got it very close. I started the timing of the microwave @ 15 seconds, and slowly worked my way up to 2 minutes. That time and the following clamping method did the trick.

0918160821b.jpg

I then used one of the double sided and one of the single sided adhesives strips that came with the kit. After cleaning off a spot on the dash with alcohol swabs, I placed the fixture on the dash and clamped it for several hours.

0918161044.jpg

I added a tether to the fixture as a safety factor. Ran for a short ryde today to check it out. I guess I should have cleaned the bug spots of the windshield first!!!

0918161251.jpg0918161252.jpg

Now I need to learn how to edit the video files. Also what software tools to use.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

It should come with some kind of video software, if not try Windows Video Maker, there are plenty of free ones too. Does it connect to power thru out the ride or just run on rechargeable ones. One of my cameras won't record when aux powered.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    It should come with some kind of video software, if not try Windows Video Maker, there are plenty of free ones too. Does it connect to power thru out the ride or just run on rechargeable ones. One of my cameras won't record when aux powered.
    The ION camera does not come with video software. I do not have Windows Video Maker but found that I had Avidemux 2.6 on my computer. I had forgotten about that software. Works good, easy, and can delete audio if I wish.

The camera can be charged while ryding but I have not set up the power port yet, just another frakle on my do do list. No the camera cannot record and be charge at the same time. That is a drawback.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod