Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What now??

Spyder Garage

Default What now??

I am looking at the 2017 models and I am a bit worried. I have heard plenty of rumors as to why there are no new RS or ST models. My concern is, what machine am I going to buy when I get my next one? After spending significant time on all four models of spyder I have come to realize that the RS is my favorite by a long shot. Is BRP giving up on the sport market? Am I stuck waiting for another company to build a fun roadster? If anyone has some details as to what is going on with the RS, or the future plans that BRP might have, I would love to hear them.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with you....

Unfortunately I don't even think time will tell... may be when time runs out as it did with the Harley's we will get some good imports to match the spyder. Remember when the Suzuki Intruder was first introduced here state side. It could only come in as a 700 cc harley look a like. The Canadian version was a 750 cc. Then the ban ran out and we started getting they Intruder in 750 and 1100 cc and Kawazaki came in with the Vulcan and you know the rest of the story.

Soooo, if BRP doesn't bring the RS back we will get something like it here shortly....maybe that is the plan...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Chad,
    Unfortunately; I think that "sticking a fork in them", is about your only option, for right now...
    The RS & ST models are done...

BUT... who can tell what BRP is cooking up?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Unfortunately I don't even think time will tell... may be when time runs out as it did with the Harley's we will get some good imports to match the spyder. Remember when the Suzuki Intruder was first introduced here state side. It could only come in as a 700 cc harley look a like. The Canadian version was a 750 cc. Then the ban ran out and we started getting they Intruder in 750 and 1100 cc and Kawazaki came in with the Vulcan and you know the rest of the story.

Soooo, if BRP doesn't bring the RS back we will get something like it here shortly....maybe that is the plan...
    Those early Suzuki Intruders really did look like the Harley's of the day. I wonder if that's where the term "poser" originated. I owned a Vulcan 750 - which "tried" to look like a Harley, but it never quide made it. Still not a bad looking bike, though.

Unfortunately, I don't think the RS or the ST will ever be back on the Spyder line-up. They may come out with something else in the future, but at least for now, I think BRP believes that the F3, with its 'UFit System", is the answer to everyone's dream. And that if some of us don't like it... well, then there must be something wrong with us.

There's nothing wrong with the F3 for many folks. It's just not the Spyder for everybody.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-19-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I am looking at the 2017 models and I am a bit worried. I have heard plenty of rumors as to why there are no new RS or ST models. My concern is, what machine am I going to buy when I get my next one? After spending significant time on all four models of spyder I have come to realize that the RS is my favorite by a long shot. Is BRP giving up on the sport market? Am I stuck waiting for another company to build a fun roadster? If anyone has some details as to what is going on with the RS, or the future plans that BRP might have, I would love to hear them.

Just sayin'............
    I thought that the new Daytona was supposed to be the replacement for the RS? Relaxed nanny, drag bars, etc.?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    I thought that the new Daytona was supposed to be the replacement for the RS? Relaxed nanny, drag bars, etc.?
    How have we not met at Gilligan's???

Until it get's the turbo and some added horsepower, I do not feel that it will be an adequate replacement for me. Not a bad model, and I like the F3-T, but the RS is prettier and I like it better for playing in the corners.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Until it get's the turbo and some added horsepower, I do not feel that it will be an adequate replacement for me. Not a bad model, and I like the F3-T, but the RS is prettier and I like it better for playing in the corners.

Just sayin'...........
    we have met. Last summer, you and your wife came in on your RS.
    we talked about trying to get 20 or so Spyders to show up at bike night. Last August I believe.
    Than life got in the way and it never came to be. I still think it would be fun.

Spyder Garage

Just sayin'...........

Demo the new F3 entry level model, it will snap your head back and looks really cool and it can sail around the curves like it is on rails.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got to agree with Joe...

Joe Knows.jpg

The center of gravity on them is a whole lot lower, than on the other models!

Spyder Garage

Just sayin'............
    At the moment, I think the F3 Daytona is going to be closest to your current wants. Its updated with the 1330 and has a mode to tame the VSS. Going in the right direction for those who want a little more. IMO.

Who knows what may come up at the great Homecoming Party? They may have a couple "bombs" to drop in the way of "new." If they are smart--they should have something.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MISSING FROM SPYDER LINE-UP

A few years ago I predicted the Spyders with the V-twins would be dropped ( it took longer that I thought ).......My NEW PREDICTION ...... BRP will bring back an RS type / style etc. Spyder .....however it will be powered by something other than the V-twin it had previously .... the 1330 triple ...possibly , however the engine from their base Sea-Doo is what I would bet money on, but punched out with more HP, ....JMHO........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    A few years ago I predicted the Spyders with the V-twins would be dropped ( it took longer that I thought ).......My NEW PREDICTION ...... BRP will bring back an RS type / style etc. Spyder .....however it will be powered by something other than the V-twin it had previously .... the 1330 triple ...possibly , however the engine from their base Sea-Doo is what I would bet money on, but punched out with more HP, ....JMHO........Mike
    and me too on the predictions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Those early Suzuki Intruders really did look like the Harley's of the day. I wonder if that's where the term "poser" originated. I owned a Vulcan 750 - which "tried" to look like a Harley, but it never quide made it. Still not a bad looking bike, though.

Unfortunately, I don't think the RS or the ST will ever be back on the Spyder line-up. They may come out with something else in the future, but at least for now, I think BRP believes that the F3, with its 'UFit System", is the answer to everyone's dream. And that if some of us don't like it... well, then there must be something wrong with us.

There's nothing wrong with the F3 for many folks. It's just not the Spyder for everybody.
    Had a Suzuki Intruder 800 and then a 1400 because it was about the only factory custom that looked like the sort of chop I wanted to build but didn't have time to do so. They were also the two bikes that taught me that for the distance riding I did feet forward just wasn't going to work. The power output was wrong for my sort of riding, the tank was stupidly small with a reserve that would only get to the side of the road, and the very thin front tire on the 800 didn't exactly suit wet riding either. But they looked good:-)

So the lesson learned was "May look good from the side but doesn't suit how I ride". Same for the F3 which is why I'll stick with my RS until another sporty 3 wheeler comes along.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PREDICTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and me too on the predictions.
    Yep, I should have said .....WE .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Buy a Ninja 300, Yamaha R3, Honda cbr300?

Sv650, FZ-07, gsx-s...zx6r, GSXR, R6?

You have loads of sport bike possibilities.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post
    Buy a Ninja 300, Yamaha R3, Honda cbr300?

Sv650, FZ-07, gsx-s...zx6r, GSXR, R6?

You have loads of sport bike possibilities.
    Yes your right and that I think is the danger for Can-am. You could also say...

Why buy a RT when there's Goldwings, etc

Why by an F3 as there's Hardley Davidsons, etc

The thing is that up until this point Can-am have expanded their range to match bike types so if you did a rough comparison against Honda's lineup for example you'd have:

RT = Goldwing
    F3 = Valkyrie
    ST = ST
    RS = VFR

Suddenly Can-am have cut out two of the options reducing the appeal across the market. At the very time when both Honda and Yamaha are sounding these very two market segments. I can understand about the RS/ST needing updating but to drop them before offering or even hinting at a replacement seems slightly stupid.

I understand in the US the RT and F3 are the biggest segment of the market but in other countries that's not necessarily the case. Taking the local riders here, we have one RT, two ST's and everyone else rides an RS.

So when my RS needs replacing will I get an F3 or RT, no. If no other three wheel option is available I'll be going back to two wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP has based this decision on it's sales, and marketing surveys...
    When they introduced the GS as a 2008 model: they may have been thinking that it would fill a different niche in the marketplace.
    Now that things have sorted out, and the Spyder has a more defined role: it was inevitable for them to have to point in another direction.
    But it doesn't mean that they can't take another run at it!

They'll come up with something!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    So when my RS needs replacing will I get an F3 or RT, no. If no other three wheel option is available I'll be going back to two wheels.
    My options are not quite so limited yet, as the RT has always been the Spyder for me. I'm glad I bought a 2013 though, because I've come to love that high revving 998 engine. My last two motorcycles (before the RT) were both big-bore V-Twin touring cruisers. (Well the Yamaha RS Venture was actually a V4, but it looked and felt like a V-twin.) That said, however, I have to admit that they were right to move to the 1330 engine on the RT. The 998 was never quite right for that type of large tightly cowled machine.

That aside, you make a good point. But your argument assumes that most folks who ride Spyders are making a decision to choose three wheels over two. I don't believe that is the case here in the U.S. I believe that there are more people riding Spyders who can no longer ride on two wheels for one reason or another - age being the primary, but not the only factor. BRP would do well not to forget that segment of their market. For those who don't like or don't want an RT, the F3 is currently the only option. However, many people (myself included) find the F3 very uncomfortable to ride, despite their attempt to make it "one-size-fits-all". The engine position simply makes it too wide and awkward for many folks.

So I agree with you when you say they should not have abandoned the RS/ST before they came up with something to replace it. I believe that was probably a financial rather than a pure marketing decision. Still, I hope they can find a way to recapture all those customers who loved those bikes. I want to believe BlueKnight's prediction that they will eventually come out with an "RS-like" model again. But if they seriously want to retire the 998 engine, they will have to come up with something other than the wide horizontal 1330 to put into it.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can never tell exactly what they're working on...

frankensteins-lab-1931.jpg

Spyder Garage

I honestly think all they need to do is offer midship controls on the F3 to provide a sport oriented riding position on the lower center of gravity and the RS riders will trip over themselves with the better handling and acceleration. Really believe this simple update can fill that market niche.

Looking at the mounting locations and controls hardware, it would not even be that hard for an aftermarket supplier like Lamonster Garage who already makes pedals etc to offer such a kit as an upgrade.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I honestly think all they need to do is offer midship controls on the F3 to provide a sport oriented riding position on the lower center of gravity and the RS riders will trip over themselves with the better handling and acceleration. Really believe this simple update can fill that market niche.

Looking at the mounting locations and controls hardware, it would not even be that hard for an aftermarket supplier like Lamonster Garage who already makes pedals etc to offer such a kit as an upgrade.
    That may capture some additional F3 fans, but the forward foot position is NOT the only problem with the F3. The dang thing is just too wide. They need to slim it down in order for some riders not to have to wrap their legs around that wide engine. Maybe they could simply do that by lengthening the frame on some models - don't know how that would look, though.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The seating position is also quite a bit lower... if you pull your feet back toward you: you're going to be all "scrunched-up".

Unless you raise the seat. (And ruin the center of gravity advantage! )

Spyder Garage

That's a good point.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    That may capture some additional F3 fans, but the forward foot position is NOT the only problem with the F3. The dang thing is just too wide. They need to slim it down in order for some riders not to have to wrap their legs around that wide engine. Maybe they could simply do that by lengthening the frame on some models - don't know how that would look, though.

You are the first I have heard of anyone complain of the width of the F3. Its narrower in the console area than my RT was but I have only ridden an RS or GS a few blocks after an alignment and never any extended distance. The front track is the same as the RS and ST. Yeah if the width of the seat / tank area is a problem for you, there is not much they can do other than reduce fuel tank size and shrink the surrounding tupperware.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You are the first I have heard of anyone complain of the width of the F3. Its narrower in the console area than my RT was but I have only ridden an RS or GS a few blocks after an alignment and never any extended distance. The front track is the same as the RS and ST. Yeah if the width of the seat / tank area is a problem for you, there is not much they can do other than reduce fuel tank size and shrink the surrounding tupperware.
    The problem is that if you have long legs, your knees may not fit inside the cowling indent and may hit the widest part of the cowling instead. That, in turn, makes it hard to find the brake with your foot. The F3T I rode was slightly better than other F3's, but not by much. Other's with long legs, especially bigger guys with long legs, have reported this on the forum as well.

I am completely comfortable on any RT with a comfort seat, but the F3, as it's currently designed, is out of the question for me, and others built like me. I'm just pointing this out. I'm not really all that disappointed by it because my ride is the RT.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-20-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link