Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What now??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    The problem is that if you have long legs, your knees may not fit inside the cowling indent and may hit the widest part of the cowling instead. That, in turn, makes it hard to find the brake with your foot. The F3T I rode was slightly better than other F3's, but not by much. Other's with long legs, especially bigger guys with long legs, have reported this on the forum as well.

I am completely comfortable on any RT with a comfort seat, but the F3, as it's currently designed, is out of the question for me, and others built like me. I'm just pointing this out. I'm not really all that disappointed by it because my ride is the RT.
    Yep I've found that when I test rode one as well. Us lanky people can't fit on a F3.

Spyder Garage

The problem is that if you have long legs, your knees may not fit inside the cowling indent and may hit the widest part of the cowling instead. That, in turn, makes it hard to find the brake with your foot. The F3T I rode was slightly better than other F3's, but not by much. Other's with long legs, especially bigger guys with long legs, have reported this on the forum as well.

I am completely comfortable on any RT with a comfort seat, but the F3, as it's currently designed, is out of the question for me, and others built like me. I'm just pointing this out. I'm not really all that disappointed by it because my ride is the RT.
    There are replacement seats for the F3 to move you back 1.5 inches just like your comfort seat on the RT does. This would solve your long leg problem moving your knees below the body. The RT as delivered was out of the question for me too, had to replace the seat just like you did. Its no different for the F3 other than the F3 does accommodate a wider range of body builds in stock form than the RT does. Still it will not fit everyone as delivered. There is plenty of room for further adjustment to make it fit folks that fall outside that range.

Between the Tri-Axis bars and a Comfort or Ultimate tall boy seat, it cost over 2K to make my RT fit me. Cost far less to do so on the F3, less than 1k for my Russell Day Long Saddle. Louise will need a Russell seat along with the short reach bars so just over 1k for her.

Bottom line is both bikes require parts replacement to fit many folks.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 09-21-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Chad,
    Unfortunately; I think that "sticking a fork in them", is about your only option, for right now...
    The RS & ST models are done...

BUT... who can tell what BRP is cooking up?
    We spent last week with three reps from BRP, they have new items coming down the pipeline but we're very tight lipped and could not say anything about what things were in store. I know they have told me a "entry level" Spyder is on the way though. Also they did confirm that their marketing focus is on the Non-motorcycle riding community. 95% of the US population does NOT ride motorcycles. This is their area of focus for their Spyder products. The 5% that do ride motorcycles have so many choices and the battle is so fierce, they have chosen the larger piece of the pie. Look to see them more involved with NASCAR and automotive shows in the future. So are they abandoning the sport market? To some degree they are abadoning the "motorcycle" market!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We spent last week with three reps from BRP, they have new items coming down the pipeline but we're very tight lipped and could not say anything about what things were in store. I know they have told me a "entry level" Spyder is on the way though. Also they did confirm that their marketing focus is on the Non-motorcycle riding community. 95% of the US population does NOT ride motorcycles. This is their area of focus for their Spyder products. The 5% that do ride motorcycles have so many choices and the battle is so fierce, they have chosen the larger piece of the pie. Look to see them more involved with NASCAR and automotive shows in the future. So are they abandoning the sport market? To some degree they are abandoning the "motorcycle" market!
    I hope that's not as bad as it sounds...
    I hope that what you were trying to say, is that they are "re-focusing their marketing efforts toward a new and un-tapped demographic".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Demo the new F3 entry level model, it will snap your head back and looks really cool and it can sail around the curves like it is on rails.

Cruzr Joe
    I have ridden the model for approximately 1000 miles, it is no faster than mine (as my father and I have tested this fact repeatedly), and it does not have the same feel. As to the looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post
    Buy a Ninja 300, Yamaha R3, Honda cbr300?

Sv650, FZ-07, gsx-s...zx6r, GSXR, R6?

You have loads of sport bike possibilities.
    If I wanted a sport bike I would have kept one of the four I have owned. I want a spyder, just not one that feels like I am riding a couch. And what is with all the small displacement motors?? I am not poor or inexperienced, in my RS-S I have found something I like better. I just hate the fact that BRP is moving away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We spent last week with three reps from BRP, they have new items coming down the pipeline but we're very tight lipped and could not say anything about what things were in store. I know they have told me a "entry level" Spyder is on the way though. Also they did confirm that their marketing focus is on the Non-motorcycle riding community. 95% of the US population does NOT ride motorcycles. This is their area of focus for their Spyder products. The 5% that do ride motorcycles have so many choices and the battle is so fierce, they have chosen the larger piece of the pie. Look to see them more involved with NASCAR and automotive shows in the future. So are they abandoning the sport market? To some degree they are abadoning the "motorcycle" market!
    The customers you do tend to get out of the motorcycle market do tend to be the ones that are "settling" for the machine. It is a smart idea for them to market the machine to people that actually desire it. Entry level might also be nice for young riders, and if they offer customization options you might be able to create more of a family hobby similar to snowmobiling.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I rode a F3-S before I got my ST-S SE5, my biggest problem with the F3 was the foot position, it is just not comfortable for me. The ST is far better for me, I put my foot on the floor board, swing my leg over and sit down, and I am good to go. I could not do that on a F3. That is due to I have short legs along with 2 replaced hips that limit my range of motion.
    The foot placement on a RS is good as well, I preferred the ST, so that is what I got. I am considering doing a cat bypass, other than that I am very happy with the ST.
    I do not see myself looking to replace my Spyder any time in the next several years! By that time who knows what the market will bring...

Y'all ride safe out there!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I have ridden the model for approximately 1000 miles, it is no faster than mine (as my father and I have tested this fact repeatedly), and it does not have the same feel. As to the looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If I wanted a sport bike I would have kept one of the four I have owned. I want a spyder, just not one that feels like I am riding a couch. And what is with all the small displacement motors?? I am not poor or inexperienced, in my RS-S I have found something I like better. I just hate the fact that BRP is moving away from it.

The customers you do tend to get out of the motorcycle market do tend to be the ones that are "settling" for the machine. It is a smart idea for them to market the machine to people that actually desire it. Entry level might also be nice for young riders, and if they offer customization options you might be able to create more of a family hobby similar to snowmobiling.

Just sayin'...........

so, is what you're sayin'...

Want it now.jpg

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Bad

I hope that's not as bad as it sounds...
    I hope that what you were trying to say, is that they are "re-focusing their marketing efforts toward a new and un-tapped demographic".
    I think they realize that they will get their share of the motorcycle market as we age and seek to remain with our knees in the breeze we will seek out something like the Spyder, after all most spyder dealers sell other brands too so that is where they see their position with the MC population. As for the 95% of the population they look to show this as something fun, safe, and unique, something that will cause them to buy a Spyder but not any other motorcycle. Look to see a focus on the ladies as well.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Good to hear they are talking "entry level" . It will be interesting to see where that hits the market. The big issue for many new owners is the price to get in. You can buy some pretty fine motorcycles in the $10K to $13K range these days.

I am not there anymore, but of those 95% non-riders--there is a big market out there. I just hope BRP does not loose their focus on the 200,000 owners or so that have currently made the company what it is.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That 95% figure is just riddled with folks who will NEVER ride...
    Even I know that fishing in a dry hole, is a waste of time!

Spyder Garage

so, is what you're sayin'...

Want it now.jpg
    Not so much now, but I am going to be looking to add another spyder to the stable soon, and I am not real excited to see my options cut in half. You know me Bob, I am definitely not your average spyder rider. What I resemble is a younger market that BRP has yet to address. I think they are headed in the right direction, with a couple (?) models one being less expensive and another being more performance oriented (?), but the current paranoia caused by the lack of information is a marketing technique I do not favor.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...You know me Bob, I am definitely not your average spyder rider. I think they are headed in the right direction, with a couple (?) models one being less expensive and another being more performance oriented (?), but the current paranoia caused by the lack of information is a marketing technique I do not favor. Just sayin'............
    Your lovely Bride tells me, that you are way above average. (just sayin'... )

Spyder Garage

Just sayin'...........
    You gave up your sport bikes for a Spyder? I guess if I physically couldn't ride mine, I would too. Hope you are okay (I don't know your history). If I did get hurt and couldn't ride my Yamahas, I would want a sportier Spyder as an option.

If you are physically able to ride but don't want to be bent over, test ride an Indian Scout. It rides close to a sport bike.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

I am looking at the 2017 models and I am a bit worried. I have heard plenty of rumors as to why there are no new RS or ST models. My concern is, what machine am I going to buy when I get my next one? After spending significant time on all four models of spyder I have come to realize that the RS is my favorite by a long shot. Is BRP giving up on the sport market? Am I stuck waiting for another company to build a fun roadster? If anyone has some details as to what is going on with the RS, or the future plans that BRP might have, I would love to hear them.

Just sayin'............
    Wait for the Honda Neo Wing, there will be a flood of used Spyder's on the market. Too many people have been frustrated BRP not owing up to mgf defects. I have owned several Spyder's and will be the first in line to trade my Spyder for a reliable Honda. I've had it with BRP and their lack of integrity. The last straw was forcing me to buy a new shock if I plan on riding two up on my 2015 F3s yet they furnish the F3 with passenger pegs, seat and backrest. Come on!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Yep I've found that when I test rode one as well. Us lanky people can't fit on a F3.
    Did you guys test ride the F3 with foot position at position 5?
    I'm 6'4" with long legs and the F3 fits way better than the RT or the ST. I had an ST, which I bought instead of RT because it fit my long legs and arms better. The RS was out of the question - legs way to crunchy. Then I got to drive an F3 set up in position 5.
    It was the clear winner! I can stretch out my legs and arms. So much more comfortable! I just don't get it!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Currently I think the best you can do is find a 2016 RS/S and buy that. Only other option is to wait it out and see what BRP does. I'm like you. I'm a younger rider (by Spider standards anyway...I'm 43) and I don't feel comfortable on an F3. I'm short, 5'-8" so its not a leg length problem. Problem for me is the "cruiser" riding position. Every bump and road imperfection is transferred to my lower back and butt (just like my Harley and pre REV sleds). 50 miles down the road and I can barely get off the bike. So, unless BRP or the aftermarket comes up with a set up that puts you in an RS or even ST riding position on an F3 I'm not buying one. My other complaint with the F3 is........Feels like there is an awful lot of machine in front of you, between you and the road where as on the RS it feels like me, the windscreen and the pavement. I'm not saying the RS is perfect. I can make a list of the things I'd do differently but in terms of riding position it works for me where as the F3 doesn't. I'll never buy an RT. If I wanted an RV, I'd buy an RV

I was planning on buying a new spyder next year but those plans have changed now. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do now?

Spyder Garage

You gave up your sport bikes for a Spyder? I guess if I physically couldn't ride mine, I would too. Hope you are okay (I don't know your history). If I did get hurt and couldn't ride my Yamahas, I would want a sportier Spyder as an option.

If you are physically able to ride but don't want to be bent over, test ride an Indian Scout. It rides close to a sport bike.
    What nobody seems to understand is that I did not give up bikes because I had to, I did it because I like the spyder better. I like the spyder for the ride it is, I am not trying to be a motorcyclist. I understand the way the spyder rides and it is comfortable for me. I would be less interested if it were anything like a bike.

Not every person who rides a spyder wants a bike. Some of us a roadster people and not motorcycle people. I can ride a bike anytime I feel like it, I just do not feel like wasting my free time like that. It is also like the general assumption that if you like the RS you can't afford the RT. Some of us just don't like the RT. I do not go around assuming that people do not ride the RS because they are old and decrepit. I get really frustrated when people talk down an RS. It is the best looking, lightest, and best performing model direct off of the showroom floor. And there are some of us out there who still want to play......

Just sayin'...........

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I loved my 2009 GS,but was not comfortable for my wife...One local dealer has stopped selling Spyders,rumors are another one will too,they don't want to work on them,since they also sell Harley's...Another one says Spyder service is slow and killing them..

Spyder Garage

What nobody seems to understand is that I did not give up bikes because I had to, I did it because I like the spyder better. I like the spyder for the ride it is, I am not trying to be a motorcyclist. I understand the way the spyder rides and it is comfortable for me. I would be less interested if it were anything like a bike.

Not every person who rides a spyder wants a bike. Some of us a roadster people and not motorcycle people. I can ride a bike anytime I feel like it, I just do not feel like wasting my free time like that. It is also like the general assumption that if you like the RS you can't afford the RT. Some of us just don't like the RT. I do not go around assuming that people do not ride the RS because they are old and decrepit. I get really frustrated when people talk down an RS. It is the best looking, lightest, and best performing model direct off of the showroom floor. And there are some of us out there who still want to play......

Just sayin'...........
    Here's another suggestion. Buy a new C7 Corvette. It's more fun than my sport bikes and the Spyder. You will have a hard time getting anyone to test ride one, but go for it. Manual.

I'm half debating between even riding my sport bikes anymore since the vette is so incredibly awesome. I love it.
    Last edited by Jenfz09; 09-25-2016 at 08:20 AM.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another suggestion. Buy a new C7 Corvette. It's more fun than my sport bikes and the Spyder. You will have a hard time getting anyone to test ride one, but go for it. Manual.

I'm half debating between even riding my sport bikes anymore since the vette is so incredibly awesome. I love it.
    I keep getting the impression that your garage is just chock-full of REALLY nice toys....

Spyder Garage

I keep getting the impression that your garage is just chock-full of REALLY nice toys....
    Yes.

It's BS that money doesn't buy happiness
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... it might not buy happiness...
    But it really allows you to get your groove on, with a much cooler state of misery!

Spyder Garage

Default My .02

I think BRP has made some great changes and it's not a shock they got rid of the RS and ST. The entry level F3 is the same price as what the RS used to be. Other than those complaining about the seating position, everything on the F3 is superior to the RS.. better engine, faster, handles better, better MPG, etc..

So for right now you have the F3 line with that seating position and the RT with the more upright seating position that many of us have been used to for years. Although how many of us put forward pegs on those for more comfort? I know I did and found my legs wanting to be on the highway pegs more than the stock pegs.

I see them removing the rear bags off the RT and having an ST like model built on that platform. That should make those liking the upright seating position happy that don't want a full touring bike... and you'd get the benefit of the 1330 engine.

Although I wouldn't put it past them to come out with a RS type model with that ECO 600 engine in it...

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

F3, Feet forward and why I don't like it...

As mentioned before I do iron butt events. The vast majority of bikes on these are Sports tourers and Adventure bikes i.e. where the sitting position is very similar to an RS/ST. I've NEVER seen a Harley at any of the events and only the odd Japanese Cruiser. That probably tells you a lot about feet forward and long distance riding. I have tried two feet forward motorbikes but never got on with them, also tried an F3 but found it very uncomfortable as well.

RT and why I don't like it...

One day maybe I'll see the advantage of 'barn door tourers' like Goldwings and RT's but I suspect that's at least 30 years off. I like to feel the wind and the rain when I'm riding.

Cars, Corvettes and why I don't like it...

Why the hell would I want to be shut in a cage?! I'm happiest in that perfect state of oneness between bike, road and landscape. Just the endless ribbon of possibilities and adventure that envelops you when riding. Nothing comes close.

...Like Otter I ride a Spyder RS not because I have to but because it's better than a bike for the sort of riding I do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    F3, Feet forward and why I don't like it...

As mentioned before I do iron butt events. The vast majority of bikes on these are Sports tourers and Adventure bikes i.e. where the sitting position is very similar to an RS/ST. I've NEVER seen a Harley at any of the events and only the odd Japanese Cruiser. That probably tells you a lot about feet forward and long distance riding. I have tried two feet forward motorbikes but never got on with them, also tried an F3 but found it very uncomfortable as well.

RT and why I don't like it...

One day maybe I'll see the advantage of 'barn door tourers' like Goldwings and RT's but I suspect that's at least 30 years off. I like to feel the wind and the rain when I'm riding.

Cars, Corvettes and why I don't like it...

Why the hell would I want to be shut in a cage?! I'm happiest in that perfect state of oneness between bike, road and landscape. Just the endless ribbon of possibilities and adventure that envelops you when riding. Nothing comes close.

...Like Otter I ride a Spyder RS not because I have to but because it's better than a bike for the sort of riding I do.
    I put 80,000 miles on my 2008 GS... then 24,000 on my 2012 RT.....
    I've done many long days... 600-1,000 miles on the GS and RT and liked to be able to vary my foot position from standard to forward.
    My main beef with the RS/RT seating position is that you sit on top of the bike instead of in it like the F3. The F3 handles the corners so much better due to that.
    No one thought people would do long miles on the original GS models.. but we did. Many are now doing long miles on their F3's. Add floorboards and you can have whatever seating position you want.
    My next ride will be an F3.. outfitted with removable Givi V-35's just like my GS had so I can tour and also cruise around town with them off. I look forward to the cruiser seating position, but may add floorboards so I can change things up.

Agree about the cage 1000%. I also miss the elements that I had to deal with more on the GS than the RT.. the RT provides great protection if that's what someone wants.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!