Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Which Toy Hauler

The Wife and I have been looking at Toy Haulers for us and the Spyder we were actually in Hershey PA today and saw a lot of real nice units, does anyone have one they would like to comment on to help us make our decision?
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    LED Marker & Brake lights
    Custom Art Work

Spyder Garage

I did a bunch of shopping around this year for a toy hauler. There are plenty of trailers, but I wanted a Class A or C type RV.

I looked at a number of the Thor Outlaws. Their layouts are amazing! One of them had 3 queen beds! One was over the garage and in it's own little bunk house! The garages are very big.
    Outlaw-Toterhomes-Class-A-Toy-Haulers-RV.jpg

We saw one in use at a Harley Rally. Very impressive, but I kept looking because I wanted a diesel engine, not the Ford V10 gas engine. I also was disappointed with the quality of finish out of the inside of the units. Everything looked very nice, but it was cheap. I looked at a unit that only had about 35K miles on it and the inside did not hold up well to its use.

We ended up getting a 2008 Jayco Seneca ZX. It is perfect for us: big diesel engine (Chevy Duramax 5500,) has a lift-gate rather than a typical ramp, and the build quality is vastly better than the Thor units. Being 8 years old and 36K miles, the interior looked brand new. It is a beast of an engine and should last for many years. They quit making the toy hauler version in 2008.

2007_seneca_zx_outlook.jpg
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check with the Brydens also

At the Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally, "Mrs Lamonter" (Joan) was telling me about their toy hauler. I just wish. Now you got me thinking about that again. What if I robbed a bank?
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Dave, call me. I will ask you some questions that would steer you in with way you would want to go. Somebody else's answer may not be yours or what would work for you, or see me at the next meeting. This can be a fun process.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

I am on my second Work and Play Toy Hauler by Forrest River. Been very happy with them both. Hauling Spyder, UTV or Motorcycles. Nice interiors with all the amenities and generator.

Also lower than most Toy Haulers and makes for easier loading with a lower ramp angle so Spyder does not "high center" or get caught.

2017 25WAP (30 feet) Ford F150 ecoboost twin turbo with airbags. Trailer MSRP is about $29,000 as

equipped. Large generator, ducted A/C and heat. Nice roomy front separate bedroom with two electric

"Happy Jack" beds in the rear.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 09-18-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Just purchased a Grey Wolf toy hauler. So far I
    really like it. 2017 and very affordable

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Dave, call me. I will ask you some questions that would steer you in with way you would want to go. Somebody else's answer may not be yours or what would work for you, or see me at the next meeting. This can be a fun process.
    is your advice secret? How about sharing it with the rest of us?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    is your advice secret? How about sharing it with the rest of us?
    No secret, but depending on what they answer comes the next Question. Some may prefer a motor coach and tow a trailer, some would prefer a motor coach that can also drive there toy on, Some prefer fifth wheels, here you have more options, when you set up, your tow vehicle is able drive away. Some prefer something smaller, say a tow hauler tow behind. Towing trailers depend allot on the truck capabilities. Some only want cargo trailers that have no living quarters. Most depend on what they can afford. They can cost anywhere from $12,000 and up over $500,000 and up, for anything that has living quarters and space for there toy. Don't always think your getting a great deal, cause there are always better deals somewhere, but you might have to take a road trip.
    Last edited by rnet; 09-18-2016 at 05:39 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    We will catch up with you was a good experiance going to the show and seeing all the differnt options, not buying until maybe next year so have time to research and figure out whats best.
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    LED Marker & Brake lights
    Custom Art Work

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

We have a 36 ft Dutchmen Voltage 3200 that we got to haul the Spyder. It's the smallest of the Voltage models. It works well and we like it. I think your choice will be based on what you are looking for as part of the package, your cost range and the most important, towing limits. Do not overlook towing capabilities. Toy haulers are HEAVY. I replaced my single rear wheel F350 after we bought the Voltage. The Voltage empty weight was the top limit for the F350 to pull. I now have an F450 dually.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

0423161811_HDR.jpg0423161752_HDR.jpg

Not every toyhauler has to be 36+ft, we have traveled over 12000 miles with this 19ft trailer.

Spyder Garage

We had a 22' Continental Cargo Toy Hauler (Forest River Division). It wasn't the most comfy, but it had all the trimmings.

As many have said, the posted weight of the trailers tend to be understated. Ours was about 2000# understated. Towed it with an F-150 5.0 V8.... And while the truck did fine taking our time, we could have used either the ecoboot motor or more truck.

So I think the first thing you need to calculate is how much truck you currently have versus how much you will need.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER