Spyder Garage

Default Resetting Odometer

I was driving my 2008 and was pushing the mode button cycling through the miles, trip miles, hours and time and the odometer reset to 0 from 64,000 miles. I checked after I stopped and it was not one of the trip counters but the actual mileage. Has this happened to anyone else?
    ("It is a great day for hockey." Bob "Badger" Johnson)

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

2012 Bronze RT-Limited Spyder ///SOLD///
    Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

2008 Yellow GS SM5 Spyder ///SOLD///
    Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

2015 Yellow Chevy Camaro Convertible

Spyder Garage

Never herd of that happening. Is it still 0 after restarting from a cold start? If not call it very low mileage. Will help on future resale......

Spyder Garage

I reckon if you search back thru the older threads, you'll find this mentioned a lot for the pre 2010(I think??) Spyders - it's to do with clocking over 100,000 kilometres! The early Spyders reset the odo at 100,000 kms/whatever miles that is (somewhere about 64,000 miles??) and those who rode that much found out there wasn't anything you could do about it!! But as Tim progressed, BRP fixed that 'un-documented feature' so now it doesn't occur on later MY Spyders.

So you aren't alone, & there's probably a few more Spyder Ryders out there who will find this happens to them/ their Spyders as they get up in the miles, but it's nothing to worry about - consider it free rein to start on doing another 64,000 or so miles/100,000 km!

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have an 08 as well. Early on it was discussed. You didn't cause it to happen. There was actually a software update to prevent it from happening however once it happens as yours just did. It's s done deal and cannot be changed. It actually reset at 100 kilometers

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim, when was the last time you had that RS in to a dealer for an update? They came out with the software update in late 2010 and it always surprises me when it catches someone who hasn't had the update.

When you go to sell you'll have to add 62,137 miles to the current mileage when you sign an odometer statement.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

We have had some members who have had to change the instrument cluster and wanted to have their mileage added...Can'the be done.. ah well you have to start all over from zero...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...dometer-update

Somewhere; Docdoru posted a video that showed his odometer rolling back to zero...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It reset to 0 and then just started rolling the miles. I now have 80 miles.
    You are right, I can get 2000 miles and sell it in Michigan and no one would be wiser. (JOKE)

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Never herd of that happening. Is it still 0 after restarting from a cold start? If not call it very low mileage. Will help on future resale......

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think of it as "Ultimate Recycling."

What is old: is new again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Now that it has been mentioned, I recall some discussion about the odometer reset.

I wonder if I have to give back my 5,000 mile and 25,000 mile pins?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I reckon if you search back thru the older threads, you'll find this mentioned a lot for the pre 2010(I think??) Spyders - it's to do with clocking over 100,000 kilometres! The early Spyders reset the odo at 100,000 kms/whatever miles that is (somewhere about 64,000 miles??) and those who rode that much found out there wasn't anything you could do about it!! But as Tim progressed, BRP fixed that 'un-documented feature' so now it doesn't occur on later MY Spyders.

So you aren't alone, & there's probably a few more Spyder Ryders out there who will find this happens to them/ their Spyders as they get up in the miles, but it's nothing to worry about - consider it free rein to start on doing another 64,000 or so miles/100,000 km!

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Spyder Garage

I was up to over 64,000 and it had been to the dealer so I am sure that the updates were done. I will have to look back in my records to see when the last time it was at the dealer. When I had the alignment and you hooked up buds as part of that, any chance that you did any updates? or was it just the "recenter" of the steering?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Jim, when was the last time you had that RS in to a dealer for an update? They came out with the software update in late 2010 and it always surprises me when it catches someone who hasn't had the update.

When you go to sell you'll have to add 62,137 miles to the current mileage when you sign an odometer statement.

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

I believe the issue was with 2008's. I only got up to 23,500 before trade off--so I don't know if the glitch was still there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimcrom View Post
    I was up to over 64,000 and it had been to the dealer so I am sure that the updates were done. I will have to look back in my records to see when the last time it was at the dealer. When I had the alignment and you hooked up buds as part of that, any chance that you did any updates? or was it just the "recenter" of the steering?
    We just reset the steering sensors but sometimes when we hook up to BUDS we get a message that says that critical updates are needed. Whenever I see that I always inform the owner that they need to take it to their dealer for updates. Don't know if they considered the computer update for the odometer critical or not. It just seems that over the years that you've owned the Spyder it would have been updated by your dealer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622