Thread: The Bagdad Cafe

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Bagdad Cafe

About 30 mi east of Barstow in the town of Newberry Spgs is a little cafe called the Bagdad Cafe. It got that name from the movie of the same name starring Jack Palance. Prior to the movie it was known as The Sidewinder Cafe. The Bagdad sits on Rte 66 and is an iconic feature of the Mother Road. It is crowded with tourists of all kinds especially from Europe and Asian. Rte 66 is probably more revered among foreigners than among Americans. I was at the Bagdad today for the very first time in my 45 years of living on the High Desert. Only 30 minutes from my home which ironically also is on Rte 66. The manager told me that once 3 buses stopped there which could probably only hold half a bus at best. He also said The Bagdad has more annual visitors than The Hard Rock Cafe. I don't know about that. Rte 66 joints from Santa Monica to Chicago are experiencing a resurgence of activity because of the interest by foreign tourists. Some of the highway is being renovated. Many Spyder owners live along the route I am sure. One of my bucket list items is to travel the route after my wife retires next month and to have my Spyder extended family join me along the way. That would be neat. I've been as far as Cuba, MO not all on the actual road. I love history and I love the Spyder. The two just naturally blend together it seems. What are your 66 stories? and or pictures
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Hi Desert Spyder,

Re: The Bagdad Cafe

Here you go: https://www.yelp.com/biz/bagdad-cafe-newberry-springs-2

I spent 13 months stationed at Edwards AFB & learned to love the desert. It has a beauty all it's own.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Route 66

I went to college in Socorro NM and love the desert.
    I now live in Pittsburgh, PA far from the dunes.
    I would love to join a trip along the Mother Road.
    Cheers, David C.

Spyder Garage

In 1961 my mother decided to move us from Chicago to California. I was 12 and my sister was 13, and we rode in the backseat of my mom's boyfriend's 57 Chevy on Route 66 the whole way. I have very vivid memories of that journey.
    We ended up only living in California for a year when my mom broke up with 57 Chevy guy, and we moved back to Chicago.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The desert is amazing in the early morning as the sun comes up and in the evening when it sets. But it pretty much sucks the rest of the time, especially in the summer. You can shoot a cannon out here and never hit anything. Still, its home. My town is like Mayberry,very little stress. Biggest business is Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Desert Spyder,

Re: The Bagdad Cafe

Here you go: https://www.yelp.com/biz/bagdad-cafe-newberry-springs-2

I spent 13 months stationed at Edwards AFB & learned to love the desert. It has a beauty all it's own.

Jerry Baumchen
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode from Bourbon, Missouri to the west side of Tulsa, Oklahoma on the Route. Only took me six days to go that far. There is a lot to stop and look at. I have ridden/driven other parts as well.
    The Harley Café in Bellemont, AZ has the "NO VACANCY" sign from the movie "Easy Rider". Just down the road (Route 66) you will find the gas station and cabins from the movie.
    You will go through Mickey Mantle's boyhood home town. In Catoosa, Oklahoma, you will see the Blue Whale. In Foyil, OK, you will learn about Andy Payne.
    In Cuba, MO, you have the Wagon Wheel Motel, which is actually somewhat like cabins. In Carthage, MO, you have the Boots Court Motel. It has been renovated to as it was in the '40s. Also, the Munger Moss in Lebanon, MO. All three are Route 66 icons.
    Just a passing along information from experience. Not all of the Route is in great shape. If you are truly traveling the route( not joyriding on the interstate), you probable will not want to take your beloved convertible. You will find places that the asphalt or concrete is pretty worn. You will come across two places the concrete is only eight feet wide. You will come across places that it is gravel. You will come across creek beds. Some of the Route is on private property. Be respectful and obey the speed limits. There are people watching.
    Enjoy the trip. Have a great time. There are a lot of wunnerful people to meet along the Route. When they meet you, most will never forget you.

Spyder Garage

I drove my 1966 Corvette all across Rte 66 from 1 end of Arizona to the other. I stopped at all the old buildings, stores, gas stations etc...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I drove my 1966 Corvette all across Rte 66 from 1 end of Arizona to the other. I stopped at all the old buildings, stores, gas stations etc...
    How about the red rock road at 25 mph. That was a surprise for me. I was on a schedule. Threw the schedule away.

Spyder Garage

In 2014 we rode Route 66. There are a few different alignments so some of what you see depends on which alignment you are trying to follow. And I freely admit that in Illinois most of our riding was on the interstate paralleling the route. We gave the route our best shot, but the freeze bumps were so bad we thought we were riding on a washboard. Even when slowed way down it was killing our backs. But we had done a lot of research and had the sites we wanted to see mapped out so it was easy to dart over and see them, then get back on smoother roads.

And we probably met more foreigners traveling the route that US folks. Even ran into a group of Japanese Harley Davidson dealers that were returning home from a convention in Milwaukee.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I saw a group of Dodge Superbirds that were having a rallly and going to the Daytona 500. Really cool to see the older muscle cars out being driven ( and worked on- LOL ).

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have only been on a little of it since moving to the southwest 2 years ago. Amboy Ca, Kingman Az, Oatman Az are all interesting to see.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White