Thread: Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment

The individual that did my laser alignment last weekend, forgot to set to zero at alignment point the steering angle sensor. The bike steering is off probably like a few centimeters. I contacted the individuals and he does not have any problem fixing it, but my question is, does he need to do another laser alignment or he can plug the bike to BUDS and center the steering angle sensor? It is my fault that I did not catch the steering not to be straight until I start riding on the highway, and looking at my handlebar it did not look straight. I drove the bike for the past 3 days with the steering off, and I am not getting any kind of error codes. For the gurus out here, 1) Does he needs to first zero the steering angle sensor and that will be it, or 2) first zero the steering angle sensor and do another laser alignment. Thanks.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

This is not reseting the angle sensor. THis is your handle bar is off center when the alignment was done. He will need to do the alignment over and set the toe with the steering input centered. It is a bit difficult on the RT as there is no point to place a level or straight edge to ensure the bars are centered. Its by eye only. The F3 is easy, just use a level. He should have had you test ride it when he was done. I have had the same problem and had to redo one myself. It happens and likely he will redo it willingly.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I understand but I do not recalled him making the steering straight before starting. Yes he lives in a small community (20 mph)or less speed and I test rode it but until I left his home, and hit the highway, that was the time I noticed the handlebar was a few cm's off. He told me to bring it on Sunday. Does he need to reset anything in the BUDS software? I want to make sure I have it done right the second time.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    I understand but I do not recalled him making the steering straight before starting. Yes he lives in a small community (20 mph)or less speed and I test rode it but until I left his home, and hit the highway, that was the time I noticed the handlebar was a few cm's off. He told me to bring it on Sunday. Does he need to reset anything in the BUDS software? I want to make sure I have it done right the second time.
    He will need to redo the whole alignment including the steering angle reset in BUDS.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, well I had the laser alignment redone on my bike, the tech re-wrote the information from BUDS to my bike and , the software to reset my bike was not the correct version, therefore, the bike went on Limp mode. It took us to find the correct update on the BRP site (the person that did my laser alignment) and have a subscription for the software after 2 hours. We found the right version, re-updated my bike computer, and the bike went back to working. What a scare....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Wow, well I had the laser alignment redone on my bike, the tech re-wrote the information from BUDS to my bike and , the software to reset my bike was not the correct version, therefore, the bike went on Limp mode. It took us to find the correct update on the BRP site (the person that did my laser alignment) and have a subscription for the software after 2 hours. We found the right version, re-updated my bike computer, and the bike went back to working. What a scare....

Was that a BRP dealer? I even have the software for the 2017 already, they must not do much business if they don't have the software update for 2016 in September.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622