Thread: rain gear

Spyder Garage

Default rain gear

Well I have frequently asked for others opinions on what works for them to keep them dry while riding in the inevitable rain that you will run into when out and about. I recently purchased a Kilamanjaro jacket, Katmando pants and waterproof shoes all from First Gear and our friend and vendor, Bajaron.

After a complete tour of Michigans Upper Penisula, I spent 5 hours in the rain on the final leg of my trip. Did I say I spent 5 hours completely dry while riding in rain that was from toad strangling to a light mist.

My regards to Joe Meyer and Ron for their expert advice. If ya wants to be dry in all kinds of weather the top of the line at First Gear, Aero Stitch or other motorcycle apparel providers and you will ride dry and in comfort.

32K of smiles

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have had a Kilimanjaro Jacket for 5 years now and really like it. Not much chance to test it to the limit on waterproofness but have been in a few light rain showers that it did just fine in. I also like the Olympia jackets. Also water resistant.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default 😄

Have you ever regretted buying the very best? When it comes to rain gear, dry is the standard. I'm glad you invested in quality. As a former Michigander, I can say this: your weather is terrible!! Being warm and dry extends your season on both ends. Congratulations! Now, ride!! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear. Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

I have been a happy proponent of the Firstgear textiles. They cost more, but they work well. You have bought the best--IMO.

We did 4 hours in the driving rain coming back from Valdez one time. The only thing that got soaked were my leather (not waterproof) gloves. The rest of us were okey dokey.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN GEAR

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Have you ever regretted buying the very best? When it comes to rain gear, dry is the standard. I'm glad you invested in quality. As a former Michigander, I can say this: your weather is terrible!! Being warm and dry extends your season on both ends. Congratulations! Now, ride!! Joe
    Ok for a follow up question, when you need to clean/ wash your jackets/pants do you then have to retreat with waterproofing and if so what do you use?? Or do you just get your backup gear out and ship it back to the manufacturer for retreatment??
    Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Frog toggs

Spyder Garage

First Gear does not require retreating. It is a fabric like Gortex. Just gently wash it. If it is dirty it can not breath.
    Good luck
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    First Gear does not require retreating. It is a fabric like Gortex. Just gently wash it. If it is dirty it can not breath.
    Good luck
    Roger
    x 2. Six years old and still working as required. Gently washing and air drying.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Yup

Gentle wash. Ann sprays waterproofing, but not required. Gore Tex rocks!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Agree. You have found great solution. We are still quite pleased with our Aerostich Roadcrafters. After over 15 years, still do the job very well.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Quality

I purchased Tourmaster riding gear when I bought my FJR1300 in 2008. I no longer own the FJR. I now ride a 2015 RT SM6. I still have the Tourmaster jacket and pants. They still. Perform as flawlessly as they did when new. You get what you pay for.