Thread: The Pace

Spyder Garage

Default The Pace

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pace

So, my guy Joe is a huge proponent of "The Pace" - see the attached article. For those who have been riding Spyders for a while, at speed - how does this translate? Riding with Joe, I learned to not use my brakes much, but am still tentative about how fast I can really take corners. I am MUCH less about speed around corners than he is (he rides a BMW 1200GS and a BMW R1100), however many times when I go out to ride, I want to improve my cornering skills and want to know I can take them at speed if I have to or want to. The Pace makes a lot of sense to me in many ways, but I have only been riding for 4 years. I'd really like to know your thoughts..

Thanks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting and useful!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reissooz View Post
    Very interesting and useful!
    Beautiful Spyder, btw.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Like skiing

Hi Sue;

Have you tried to change your position as your corner speed increases?? Stepping harder on the outside peg/floorboard and bending the inside elbow to bring your shoulder lower ( lower C/G ) make a speedy corner much smoother and I think easier.
    I can run a 7 tenths up Mt. Rose hyw. easily. But I do know the road well. It seems someware about 8 or 9 tenths--- nanny kicks in( and I don't like it --- seems aburpt)

I'm sure others will help out but practice ( like skiing ) is needed for improvement and calmness when cornering. Try changing position a bit and read the Pace again.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Hi Sue;

Have you tried to change your position as your corner speed increases?? Stepping harder on the outside peg/floorboard and bending the inside elbow to bring your shoulder lower ( lower C/G ) make a speedy corner much smoother and I think easier.
    I can run a 7 tenths up Mt. Rose hyw. easily. But I do know the road well. It seems someware about 8 or 9 tenths--- nanny kicks in( and I don't like it --- seems aburpt)

I'm sure others will help out but practice ( like skiing ) is needed for improvement and calmness when cornering. Try changing position a bit and read the Pace again.

Kaos
    Hi Kaos - I've learned to put a lot of pressure on the outside peg, inside knee against the tank, inside shoulder in and down, outside arm extended and strong. Many times I enter a corner and expect it to be more than it is, so am surprised by how easily I can take it at the speed I'm at. How do you push past your comfort zone without scaring yourself? I believe I am now a much better rider than I think I am, and can take corners at a different level. But after a crash on 2 wheels very early on in my learning, it is difficult to trust myself, as I panicked and target fixated. Does that make sense? I've read The Pace many times, and will continue to do so. I want to put it into practice more now.

Spyder Garage

Default just stay in your comfort zone.

I rode bmws for about 30 years and 300,000 miles.bmw riders tend to push the envelope because they can.I wouldn,t want to try to keep up with me back in the day on my spyder.I dont think real buddies would expect you to get to far out of your comfort zone.You might want to think about finding some riders that travel at your pace.Thats what I did.

Spyder Garage

The name that article gives it - 'The Pace' - may have come into being in about 1984, but my quite old uncle, a former professional driver (road racing, track racing, vehicle tester for various media, & a much sought after test driver for new car & automotive product manufacturers in the early days of motoring in Aust) & a long distance rider introduced me to the technique & practice of 'competing' against yourself & other skilled riders/drivers many many years ago & way earlier than 1984!! He claimed he learnt it from 'the old guru's of motoring' when he first learnt to drive - btw, his drivers licence was one of the very first 100 ever issued in this country well over 100 years ago, & we had cars & motorbikes not very long at all after the first vehicles hit the roads & tracks anywhere, so there weren't really too many around before him!! So it's been around for a while, but not necessarily under the same name!

Whatever you call it, it's definitely not racing; it's more along the lines of doing it RIGHT & getting your run as close to the 'perfect' run that you can; sometimes over a set distance, often with other riders/drivers accompanying you & trying to do their own 'perfect' run; sometimes you can do it with 'judges' scoring, sometimes it's just you competing with yourself & often doing it entirely alone (so it really doesn't help to 'cheat') but there's almost always room for improvement!! And the better you get the better you feel when you have a really good run, altho there is almost always something that you know you could've done better - so you try to fix that next time!! And it doesn't take a heap of driving or riding this way for the practice to improve your skills or to sneak into your everyday motoring! You can do it any & every time you are at the controls of any motorised device! And I do, altho I don't now & probably won't ever call it 'The Pace'!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-12-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Won't not Wong - bloody auto-correct!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pace

So, my guy Joe is a huge proponent of "The Pace" - see the attached article. For those who have been riding Spyders for a while, at speed - how does this translate? Riding with Joe, I learned to not use my brakes much, but am still tentative about how fast I can really take corners. I am MUCH less about speed around corners than he is (he rides a BMW 1200GS and a BMW R1100), however many times when I go out to ride, I want to improve my cornering skills and want to know I can take them at speed if I have to or want to. The Pace makes a lot of sense to me in many ways, but I have only been riding for 4 years. I'd really like to know your thoughts..

Thanks!
    Sue, I've tried to answer your questions about "The Pace" on Facebook, but this post is worded a bit differeintly. If you are interested in learning how to corner better, that is a completely different animal. The Pace is about safe street riding, it sounds like you should sign up for some track days in your area and learn the correct way to ride faster. They will have qualified instructors who go out on the track with you to point out mistakes, and help make you a better rider.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting... but you only need to ride your OWN "pace"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Similar riding style and experience makes the group flow

Just an observation that you and Sharon ride very smoothly with a relaxed "pace" and I saw very little brake lights if any during our 6 bike ride Saturday. You two in the lead made me very comfortable riding in the middle (a place I usually don't like), but the open roads, and more open trailing distances as mentioned in the article made for a very nice ride, in addition to the scenery. I was amazed that over the 200 plus miles the group stayed together all the time and the 1330's, Indians and Victory all seemed to flow smoothly. Thank for setting the pace so well!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with "the pace" but it also includes that the leader modify their pace to those behind them. Comfort and safety is number one. Leave the egos at home, ride your pace, come home safe. The more miles you get, the smoother you will be. Another way to put this, if the pace of the person I'm following is too fast I let them go.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

With those who recommend ryding your own ryde. There are articles and classes that can help you but in the end you will have more fun and enjoyment if you are not worrying about keeping up with others. If you do ryde with faster than you groups relax and meet them at the rest spots or catch up in the sraight-a-ways. Although I can keep up with the best of them I no longer push myself to do so. Why are you really out there..? I am not out there for anyone but Me.....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Just an observation that you and Sharon ride very smoothly with a relaxed "pace" and I saw very little brake lights if any during our 6 bike ride Saturday. You two in the lead made me very comfortable riding in the middle (a place I usually don't like), but the open roads, and more open trailing distances as mentioned in the article made for a very nice ride, in addition to the scenery. I was amazed that over the 200 plus miles the group stayed together all the time and the 1330's, Indians and Victory all seemed to flow smoothly. Thank for setting the pace so well!
    Thanks! It really was fun, and a great group of people. I'm just always trying to get better...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Sue,

I'm sure you know this trick ( works great for two wheels also)--- Look through the corner, dosen't hurt to do this on average speed ( speed sign limit) corners. It dosen't help ( actually hinders) me to look at the rider just ahead of me.
    A basic tenant of motorcycle riding is " you go where you look." I think it works with the 's also.

Kaos

Sue, After reading you origional post again, I thought of something else ( again related to skiing)

If I stand at the top of a double diamond chute and think " Holy crap this is steep and I'm going to fall"---- I will. But if i think-- 'this looks like fun, set your edges a bit harder." I have fun and have skied a run that most skiers can't. ( Check out " The Chutes" at Mt. Rose /Ski Tahoe).
    So if you want to run you "pace" up a notch---do what you already do, look through the turn, and have fun.
    Last edited by Lew L; 09-12-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Hi Sue,

I'm sure you know this trick ( works great for two wheels also)--- Look through the corner, dosen't hurt to do this on average speed ( speed sign limit) corners. It dosen't help ( actually hinders) me to look at the rider just ahead of me.
    A basic tenant of motorcycle riding is " you go where you look." I think it works with the 's also.

Kaos

Sue, After reading you origional post again, I thought of something else ( again related to skiing)

If I stand at the top of a double diamond chute and think " Holy crap this is steep and I'm going to fall"---- I will. But if i think-- 'this looks like fun, set your edges a bit harder." I have fun and have skied a run that most skiers can't. ( Check out " The Chutes" at Mt. Rose /Ski Tahoe).
    So if you want to run you "pace" up a notch---do what you already do, look through the turn, and have fun.
    All great advice, Kaos! "Look there, go there" is a exceedingly important concept for any kind of riding. I did that once very badly on a Honda Shadow I had. I panicked and couldn't not look at the ditch I didn't want to go into. What happened? I rode into the ditch.

And on your second note - You are spot on - Attitude is (almost) everything - a little skill helps too.