Spyder Garage

Default Is this Spyder an ST?

So I just picked up a 2013, and according to the owner it is an ST SM5. However, when I ran the VIN through the Can-Am website to see if there were any recalls, it comes up as an RS TS 991 SM5. To me, it doesn't look like an RS. You sit up tall in the saddle, unlike the RS I test drove. The bike only has 3200 miles on it.

00O0O_arxhCB2d6g6_1200x900.jpg00S0S_2gptmaNOcLs_1200x900.jpg00Z0Z_2YnAVZR6pzQ_1200x900.jpg00505_7N9uCVbHbrZ_1200x900.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by commanderjb View Post
    So I just picked up a 2013, and according to the owner it is an ST SM5. However, when I ran the VIN through the Can-Am website to see if there were any recalls, it comes up as an RS TS 991 SM5. To me, it doesn't look like an RS. You sit up tall in the saddle, unlike the RS I test drove. The bike only has 3200 miles on it.

00O0O_arxhCB2d6g6_1200x900.jpg00S0S_2gptmaNOcLs_1200x900.jpg00Z0Z_2YnAVZR6pzQ_1200x900.jpg00505_7N9uCVbHbrZ_1200x900.jpg
    This is definitely a STS SM%. Not sure what the problem with the website vin check is.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default For sure....

The RS, RSS and the older GS all had small sport farings with shorty windshields. Looks to be 2013 or newer. The fenders changed around then. Sm5 refers to manual 5 speed. The coding seems off but could be the way the vin is on ST's
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    This is definitely a STS SM%. Not sure what the problem with the website vin check is.
    Thanks.

Gonna call Can-Am and try and find out why it's messed up on their website. Whenever I put in the VIN to get an insurance quote, it showed up as an ST.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure you didn't get a (some?) number wrong when entering the Vin?? It sure looks like an ST to me, & obviously a few others too??

Spyder Garage

ST-S for sure .and it even has the 2014 + airflow panels installed.

Spyder Garage

I have an st limited and I remember that when I bring mine in for service it shows up as odd name also. That is definitely an st though. you can tell by the headlights and the front nose cowling

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

That is a ST-S, same color as mine, mine is a SE5 so it has floorboards for rider. My insurance company had mine listed as that same goofy model, might be just some bad model info from BRP. The model ID is on the Tupperware just at the passenger seat. Be sure to read the Dos and Don'ts for new Spyder Owners in the General Info thread...
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    That is a ST-S, same color as mine, mine is a SE5 so it has floorboards for rider. My insurance company had mine listed as that same goofy model, might be just some bad model info from BRP. The model ID is on the Tupperware just at the passenger seat. Be sure to read the Dos and Don'ts for new Spyder Owners in the General Info thread...
    Yup, confirmed that is the ST-S SM5. It's got the passenger floorboards as well.

Rode it all weekend. What a blast. Took me a little while to get used to not having a front break lever or having to put my foot down at stop lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by commanderjb View Post
    Yup, confirmed that is the ST-S SM5. It's got the passenger floorboards as well.

Rode it all weekend. What a blast. Took me a little while to get used to not having a front break lever or having to put my foot down at stop lights.
    Be careful. The hardest part for me to learn during my transition was to stay in the center of the lane.
    Without thinking, I would naturally drift into the left tire track.
    When I did that on my Spyder, the left tire was over the center line.
    Good Luck and welcome.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey