Spyder Garage

Default Another battery tender question

I was reading the recent battery tender threads, and I decided to try the 12V adaptor mentioned by several people. It arrived today, and I tried hooking it up, but without success. The adaptor is by Deltran, and I also have a 25-foot extension cord for the tender, also by Deltran (it fits between the tender and the adaptor; it's not a power cord extension cord). As far as I can see, the fuse in the adaptor is OK, and the 12V socket is definitely on with the engine off and no key (I tested it with my GPS charger). I also tried a direct hook up without the extension cord. My battery tender is NOT Deltran. It's a Harley-Davidson SuperSmart that I used for several years with my Sportster. When I hook everything up, the indicator light flashes amber, which the instructions say mean the tender is working but the connection to the battery isn't correct. It flashes the same with nothing connected. I thought I'd just go ahead and buy a Deltran tender, but now I don't know which one to buy: BT Jr., BT, or BT plus. I'd appreciate any suggestions on (i) why the hookup isn't working now and (ii) which Deltran tender to buy. I'm going to get a new battery when I have the 18K service done in the next 400 miles or so, and I'll have them put pigtails on the battery then, but I'd like to know the tender will work. (2012 RTS SE5 bought used in April with 15K miles.) Thanks!
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get the Junior...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Get the Junior...
    X2! Battery Tender Jr works great. If you can access your battery, just replace the aligator clips that come on the leads, with some loop connectors, and then hook the leads up directly to the battery. Then tuck the male/female connection somewhere handy, so all you have to do is plug in the connector when ya wanna. Whatever trips your trigger
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default You can't go wrong with a Deltran

I have used Deltran Battery Tenders exclusively for many years. We live in Oswego NY. The winters test both man and machine. My FJR1300 spent at least eight winters hooked up to a Deltran. Every Spring it started right up. We spend the Winter in Florida and we leave one of our vehicles in the garage on a Deltran. Never a problem in the Spring. My stand-by generator is connected to a Deltran Jr.. As far as I am concerned, a Deltren Battery Tender is the only battery tender to use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    The adaptor is by Deltran, and I also have a 25-foot extension cord for the tender, also by Deltran (it fits between the tender and the adaptor; it's not a power cord extension cord). As far as I can see, the fuse in the adaptor is OK, and the 12V socket is definitely on with the engine off and no key (I tested it with my GPS charger). I also tried a direct hook up without the extension cord. My battery tender is NOT Deltran. It's a Harley-Davidson SuperSmart that I used for several years with my Sportster. When I hook everything up, the indicator light flashes amber, which the instructions say mean the tender is working but the connection to the battery isn't correct. It flashes the same with nothing connected. !
    I've been thinking about your setup today... and there shouldn't be ANY possible way to go from ground to hot...

Try it without the 25 foot extension in the middle.

... but you should go back to your Supersmart, and re-check all of the connections: just to make sure...

Spyder Garage

I've been thinking about your setup today... and there shouldn't be ANY possible way to go from ground to hot...

Try it without the 25 foot extension in the middle.

... but you should go back to your Supersmart, and re-check all of the connections: just to make sure...
    Sorry, but I don't understand your first sentence. Can you dumb it down?

I did try it without the extension cord (see my original post), and the indicator light still flashed amber, just like it does with the extension cord or with nothing attached to the tender. I checked the connections, too, and they were all tight, and the adaptor plug is pushed as far into the 12V socket as it will go. I even opened the adaptor, which has a spring and a fuse inside, and switched the positions of the spring and fuse, and nothing changed. The wire inside the fuse is intact, as far as I can see. Weird.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there ANY way possible that your wires have become crossed, and you've got the positive and negative leads reversed?
    I'm sorry to have to ask this, but we've got to rule out all of the possible problems.

Spyder Garage

Default I don't think so. . . .

Is there ANY way possible that your wires have become crossed, and you've got the positive and negative leads reversed?
    I'm sorry to have to ask this, but we've got to rule out all of the possible problems.
    I don't see how. I just plugged all the connectors into each other, and they're the standard connectors with one socket and one exposed plug so they can only be connected one way. I'm going to Walmart today to see if I can pick up a Deltran BT or BT Jr. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that there shouldn't be a way...
    ...As long as the plug ends match up correctly!
    Since you've mixed brands during this first attempt: the plugs may not have been designed to be hooked together...
    Try tracing down the positive lead from your battery maintainer, and make double-sure that it ends up hooking to the positive lead through the extension cord, and the Battery Tender adapter...

Spyder Garage

Default Testing

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    I don't see how. I just plugged all the connectors into each other, and they're the standard connectors with one socket and one exposed plug so they can only be connected one way. I'm going to Walmart today to see if I can pick up a Deltran BT or BT Jr. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.
    If you have access to either a voltmeter or voltage tester, unhook everything and check for battery and ground at each connection starting at the Battery tender's output terminals and working towards the bike. If you have an open or cross that should allow you to locate it. DC wiring is simple, it's like water flowing through a pair of pipes, battery looking fore ground.

Spyder Garage

Default Got it!

Thanks, everybody, for the help! I love this place!

I got a new Deltran BT+ (decided to go whole hog), and it seems to have solved the problem. Strangely enough, the instruction sheet was word for word the same as the Harley one, so maybe Deltran makes that one, too. Anyway, this one is better, and apparently the old tender is either defunct or inappropriate/mismatched. I was thinking about replacing it anyway, as it was in constant use for 5 years already. The battery was over 80% charged (last rode 2 days ago), and it didn't take long to hit 100%.

I'm glad I read that original thread. Believe it or not, I didn't know there were such things as those 12V adaptors for the tender or I would have had it on one all summer!

Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're charged-up, and ready to go!