Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited SS Cons

We've all seen and heard the praises of the F3T and F3 Limited. But here are some cons I have noticed over the 6 months of ownership.

Manual turn signal cancellation: Absolutely blows! Seriously, this is the worst turn signal set I have ever had on a motorcycle in my life. Every time you go to cancel the signal, after lane changing, it will activate the other direction's signal, unless you hit it exactly dead center. Automatic cancellation after a turn, however, works flawlessly. Solution... don't use turn signals for changing lanes. Seriously, it's not worth the hassle. Oh, and good luck finding the signal button at night, or the radio controls for that matter! Maybe on a $30,000 machine you could splurge and backlight the buttons, ya cheap bastards!

Adjustable air shock: Really cool feature but make sure you check it at least every two weeks because you will have lost 5-7psi in that time.

Dashboard clock: Give it a couple of weeks and you will be, on average, 5-10 minutes faster than every other clock in the the free, friggin' world.

Hard bags: Oh these are real finicky bitches to close. Sometimes you have to get them just right with a 'not too strong, not too soft' pressure when closing them. Which, by the way, can be a real pain in the d*ck when you're in a rush and just want to go, go, go!!

Aside from these very minor shortcomings (because honestly, I wasn't looking for the manufacturer to kiss my ass or wash my feet) it is an incredible machine. You have moments of 'Wow, this is worth every penny of the 30 grand' to moments of 'really, this was overlooked when designing a bike that costs 30 grand??' But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Well, except maybe for a model that has these pains in the ass anomalies adressed!
    Last edited by Midian; 09-08-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    We've all seen and heard the praises of the F3T and F3 Limited. But here are some cons I have noticed over the 6 months of ownership.

Manual turn signal cancellation: Absolutely blows! Seriously, this is the worst turn signal set I have ever had on a motorcycle in my life. Every time you go to cancel the signal, after lane changing, it will activate the other direction's signal, unless you hit it exactly dead center. Automatic cancellation after a turn, however, works flawlessly. Solution... don't use turn signals for changing lanes. Seriously, it's not worth the hassle. Oh, and good luck finding the signal button at night, or the radio controls for that matter! Maybe on a $30,000 machine you could splurge and backlight the buttons, ya cheap bastards!

Adjustable air shock: Really cool feature but make sure you check it at least every two weeks because you will have lost 5-7psi in that time.

Dashboard clock: Give it a couple of weeks and you will be, on average, 5-10 minutes faster than every other clock in the the free, friggin' world.

Hard bags: Oh these are real finicky bitches to close. Sometimes you have to get them just right with a 'not too strong, not too soft' pressure when closing them. Which, by the way, can be a real pain in the d*ck when you're in a rush and just want to go, go, go!!

Aside from these very minor shortcomings (because honestly, I wasn't looking for the manufacturer to kiss my ass or wash my feet) it is an incredible machine. You have moments of 'Wow, this is worth every penny of the 30 grand' to moments of 'really, this was overlooked when designing a bike that costs 30 grand??' But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Well, except maybe for a model that has these pains in the ass anomalies adressed!
    You're right, it is an incredible machine.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep Awesome

Nothing to complain about here!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Nothing to complain about here!
    You obviously didn't have to ride your brand new Spyder home 3 hours on mostly freeways in the dark, Pirate.....you would have a different take on the lack of illumination and using the indicators for lane changing then.

Of course, it is not a problem now that I know the buttons by feel, but it was one very hairy trip home 😜

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Of course, it is not a problem now that I know the buttons by feel, but it was one very hairy trip home 😜 Pete
    Exactly! It would be that way on any new vehicle you buy. It's just a learning curve.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default It Would? No it Wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Exactly! It would be that way on any new vehicle you buy. It's just a learning curve.
    I can't agree with that Copperman. I also rode my Victory Vision home in the dark. All the major controls were lit, so you could see where indicator and horn were positioned in the pitch black, and holding the indicator for two seconds meant it auto cancelled after 3 flashes when changing lanes.......common sense and already popular additions even in 2011........it made the ride home easy........and the Vision was cheaper than the Spyder.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the Spyder and doubt I would ever go back to two wheels, but BRP have made some calls to save a couple of bucks.....literally......that are hard to understand.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Learning curve is one thing. Hitting the horn, lowering the volume on the radio, going into ECO mode and flipping through the menu screens while changing lanes is something entirely different. I agree with the gentlemen that said they were saving, literally, a few dollars. But it is a first gen machine. And just like others that bought first gen F3 machines have no room to complain about the suspension, etc. we have no room to complain either. Thankfully, our bugs are easily squashed.

But you gotta give BRP a big middle finger for going cheap on their second highest priced model.

Spyder Garage

I can't agree with that Copperman. I also rode my Victory Vision home in the dark. All the major controls were lit, so you could see where indicator and horn were positioned in the pitch black, and holding the indicator for two seconds meant it auto cancelled after 3 flashes when changing lanes.......common sense and already popular additions even in 2011........it made the ride home easy........and the Vision was cheaper than the Spyder.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the Spyder and doubt I would ever go back to two wheels, but BRP have made some calls to save a couple of bucks.....literally......that are hard to understand.

Pete
    Agree,
    cannot understand why they put a $50 made in Mexico rear shock on an f3s.
    BMW, Ducati, mv and a few others can put full electronically controlled suspension set ups ie sport, criuise..... Instead of paying $1500 US ($2,000 Australian) to get better BRP fox shocks front and rear with stage 5 adjustability rear and 3 stage fronts.
    BRP are just starting to let the nanny loose. Ie sport mode.
    BRP should offer a sportier (with electronic suspension) version for riders who have over 10,000 miles experience. Re many posts about getting miles up before writing the handling off , as the Spyder is unique - car front end - bike rear. Hence unique handling foibles.
    it was like going from a bike to a sidecar setup, or 4 wheel drive Audi A6 , sti wrx.
    Like most, after 5,000 miles I can now feel comfortable with the front wheel lifting a bit off the ground.
    I see some people jump in for a quickish fiix and fit a bigger stabiliser, this tightens the front but be aware of the issues with off camber roads when you ONLY stiffen up the front end. Rally drivers kill themselves on off camber corners. Australian roads have quite a few of thes corners. Podium fox 5 / 3 stage shocks or ohlens etc are a better option. Sorry but having designed and raced cars for 40 years , big fat stabilisers are what you did in the 70's. Shocks have evolved to fully electronically controlled for a reason.
    Re :- like a few other posts learn to ride a Spyder then decide what you need (After you get the obligatory wheel alignment with BUDS centralisation of the power steering), and get their tyre pressures correct.
    Love to see spyders get on the race tracks one day.
    I have been to two tracks now and I am not the slowest 60 year old against some fast bikes, allowed me to set up the suspension properly re high slow speed rebound etc. All with the standard tyres. In the dry. Love to have a Spyder track day.
    The 1330 is so detuned so much it is not funny.
    Sign me up for the turbo version, but is not desirable for many(and too costly), we all have different desires and needs/wants, budgets, meanwhile I now love the riding the Spyder as it is.
    BRP would open up the market to cashed up youngsters.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your "turnsignals and switches" problems will go away with more time on the bike...

Who know: they might even add lighted switch clusters someday!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You obviously didn't have to ride your brand new Spyder home 3 hours on mostly freeways in the dark, Pirate.....you would have a different take on the lack of illumination and using the indicators for lane changing then.

Of course, it is not a problem now that I know the buttons by feel, but it was one very hairy trip home 😜

Pete
    Wow! Don't know where that came from? I have put thousands of miles on my spyder in day night rain etc. Still nothing to complain about. Sorry to have offended you.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Wow! Don't know where that came from? I have put thousands of miles on my spyder in day night rain etc. Still nothing to complain about. Sorry to have offended you.
    You don't know where my reply came from??? Right back atcha for your reply above, Pirate. You said that you had nothing to complain about. I said that I didn't either, except for very first hairy trip home from the dealer in the pitch black because the controls weren't lit, which you obviously hadn't experienced.

I don't know how you could interpret my post as a response to you offending me, or that I was upset with you? I apologise unreservedly if you think that post was some sort of missive aimed at you. That was definitely not its intent. The written English language can be easily misconstrued.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't noticed those problems on my F3T.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)