Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would rather save the miles. I commute on my modded 50cc scooter. The little sucker can push up to 65mph which is good enough for any road but the highway. I can scoot around city traffic and park at the front door of my office. Plus its a blast to ride.

Spyder Garage

I am retired!
    However, since 2009 my Harley was and now Spyder remain my main means of transportation.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by thepower View Post
    Anyone one on the forum use their spyder as a daily rider/driver for work commutes ? I guess this would apply on non snow or heavy rain days I live in the South, so for the most part, I'd deal with rain and occassional snow and deep freeze weather. Anyways, im considering it. Pro's/Cons?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride to Work - Yes!!!

I ride to work whenever I can. Skip it if it's raining, snowing etc. The only drawback is that I end up at work.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Contact Tobor9 & SDM: they have two RTs, and nothing else!

Thanks Bob,thats right we sold both cars almost two years ago. since we live in Charleston,SC we rarely get snow and if we do we will have to just go slow(if snow bad they will close down bridges and we will be stuck at home)
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    With the drivers around here, I would kill myself on the Spyder. I'd rather sit in rush hour traffic with the ac on and in comfort than the Spyder. On a bike I can sometimes filter. At least on the Spyder I can use the HOV lane which improves things somewhat. If I didn't have to work in a major metropolis I might enjoy it more. Commuting sucks the joy out of riding unless it's somewhat rural or small townish.
    My 25 mile each way commute is a mixed bag. Close to home it's rural, but 10 miles out I'm in the city, and it gets worse as I get closer to work. No HOV lanes on the roads I use, so I sit in hot traffic a good portion of the drive. Traffic speeds are all over the place; I can be doing 5mph one minute, speed up to 70, and then hit the binders again. Gotta pay close attention!
    I drive my Ridgeline a couple days a week so I can pick up stuff that I can't carry on the Spyder- pool chlorine, paint, lumber, etc. It is certainly quieter and cooler than the Spyder, but it slurps gasoline nearly twice as fast. 16 mpg vs 30 mpg.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses! As of now, I ride my 2012 RT into work twice a week 46 miles round trip. Here in Atlanta, I have access to HOV lanes & I can take side roads home incase of rain or traffic. I am able to fit my laptop in either the back case or the front trunk which is cool. TOWards, the end of the year, I am allowing VW to buy back my car (Dieselgate BS) & really do not want to jump into another car if I don't have to. I can fall back on my wife's car if i need to for super bad weather, so just pondering my options at this point

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Every day unless it is raining or snowing have a nice 36 mile commute one way.

It's the only way I can maintain my sanity, crazy would be a very short trip. Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the ride... jtpollock

Spyder Garage

I have an one day a week that I ride my spyder to work. Why? Because on the other days I live about one mile from work; but one day a week I have to go about 50 miles to another office. I could ride my spyder to work everyday but I would hate to quit riding after one mile!

I try to ride that one day a week from spring to late fall. I have rode in heavy rains; but no snow. However, I did ride in January one time because we had a day that got into the low 50s. It did get back into the upper 30s before I got back home that night!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    i ride my 2012 rts pretty much everyday to work unless its raining hard when ready to leave the house.
    Same thing here, I get at least 3 days per week of Spyder riding.

Spyder Garage

Default Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My RT-Limited is my only vehicle...

...But the Missus has a RAV4 that she'll let me in!
    Identical situation, except my 2011RT has 66,000 on it now. We're both retired and Nancy lets me drive her Rav4 when I've been good. So, I don't get to use it much. I do have a backup, my 1986 Honda Helix. If I could only get my daughter's 2 year old Boxer to stay on the back seat, I'd use the RAV less. Nellie is Nuclear powered and no way to get her to sit still.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thepower View Post
    Here in Atlanta, I have access to HOV lanes & I can take side roads home incase of rain or traffic.
    I used to live in Newnan and worked near the Atlanta airport. I rode my Venture for work unless it was pouring rain, or cold enough that ice might be a problem. Most of my business travel was for a week or more at a time, so if it was in a couple days ride I took the bike there as well.

I guess what I see as the reason for not using a bike as a commuter comes down to issues such as the office dress code. Not sure I would ride if I was required to be in a suit and didn't have a way to ride without wrinkling the clothes. And storage for items I need to carry everyday.

On second thought, if I had to do downtown Atlanta during rush hour I might not take a bike. Too many idiots who do not even notice if you are beside them in a monster truck before they cut you off.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Weekend Toy

I have a company van that I use for work during week and I ride my Spyder at the weekends.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame