Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wing Ding & Reverse Trikes

Wing Ding & Reverse Trikes

Reverse trikes are starting to share the limelight. Besides a number of Spyders running around the campground, parking lots, and the town of Billings, there were three different reverse trike conversions being shown.

Motor Trikes has a conversion for both the Goldwing and the VTX700 (I think it is). The latter one was discussed here just a couple of weeks ago. They had three Goldwing RTs and one VTX RT available for demo rides. I dinked around and didn't get signed up for a ride since owning one is a non-starter for me. But I wish I would have just to see how it compares to the Spyder RTS. The four RT demo units were booked solid every day from Wednesday to Saturday. That, to me, indicates the interest out there in the reverse trike configuration.

I attended a seminar given by the owner of Motor Trikes. His topic was, "2 in the back or 2 in the front?" When I asked about hard engineering data or objective studies comparing the two configurations he said that would cost me about $100,000. Obviously they have spent a lot of money developing the RT and aren't about to freely talk about the engineering behind it. He rode a Spyder shortly after they came out and didn't like the way Nanny controlled things. He also could see that the reverse trike was the wave of the future, so he set about developing a conversion for the Goldwing that would provide a top notch riding experience. For a performance comparison he cited a highway curve with a reverse camber signed at 40 or 45 mph near their factory. A two wheel Wing, and the conventional trike, can take the curve easily at 65. He took his reverse trike around it at about 82 mph. His son, who is either braver or dumber, I don't know which, rode the reverse trike around the curve at 87 mph! As for cost the kit is about the same as the conventional trike but installation labor is about 1/2 as much. The front wheel track is a bit narrower than the Spyder.

In real life the coffin design doesn't look as bad as it does in the photos, but that still ain't sayin' much! I talked to one Goldwing rider who just came back from taking the RT for a ride. He was impressed how easily it steered. It had more sway than he liked. But he was impressed enough he is considering it a real option when he's ready to move from two wheels.

Hannigan had one reverse trike available for demoes and it was booked solid. I didn't pay too much attention to it other than the nose looks kind of like their sidecar and better than the Motor Trike version.

The third one, and one that's been discussed here, is the Tilting Motor Works conversion. There were no demo bikes available, but he had a Goldwing, an F6B, and a Harley there. The owner rode the just now finished F6B from Seattle to the show. I went to a seminar put on by the owner, Bob Mighell. From the way he talked his development was keep building and revising until he had a unit that performed like he wanted, which is to duplicate the two wheel riding experience. His unit for the Goldwing looks impressive. It is narrower than the other two conversions and Spyder. It also has less body, and to me, blends in better to the Goldwing shape. The TMW conversion will allow the Wing rider to tilt far enough to scrape pegs. I asked about the gyroscopic effect of the two wheels compared to a single wheel. He said it is a little bit more and provides absolutely true counter steering. Currently his conversion disables ABS braking but he's working to develop an ABS controller that will enable ABS braking. He offers an option that will automatically hydraulically upright the bike at parking lot speeds and stopped.

If anyone wants to seriously stick with a Goldwing, but wants the stability of the three wheel configuration I suggest you take a close hard look at the TMW unit. All three conversions are in the $10k to $13k price range.

According to what the Motor Trikes owner said, Honda's banner year for Goldwing sales was 2008 with about 12,000 units sold. The recession hurt them, as did the introduction of the Spyder. Sales last year were about 3,000 units, a 75% drop. I talked to a Honda rep who is the sales manager for power sports for WY, MT, and the Dakotas, plus maybe some more. I asked him about the Neowing. He said, "What's that?" He did not know Honda had a leaning three wheel concept vehicle out for show. He said Honda puts out many iterations and variations of new products to gauge public reception before they finally decide what, if any, new product they will produce. So the Neowing may still prove to nothing more than a pipe dream.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for a great write up, Mac.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I was also at WingDing. I took a demo on the 1800 with the Motor Trike 2 wheels in front. He said that it cost less than 2K because there was no differential and related stuff. It was a pretty poor demo ride, almost like going around the block. I also wasn't impressed with the overall construction.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for that....

Quite a read...it is interesting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Thanks for a great write up, Mac.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised that GoldWing sales have dropped so much...
    Is another manufacturer eating into their market share, or is the market segment just contracting?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is another manufacturer eating into their market share, or is the market segment just contracting?
    Market segment shrinking is a big factor. Ability to pay the price is a greater and greater impediment for the younger crowd when it comes to buying. Also, GW owners keep them a loooooong time so they aren't trading up and used ones aren't flooding the market. And, according to the MT owner, Spyders have eaten into their market.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Gold Wing sales are stale. They haven't done much at all to improve the bike in a long time. And, the Spyder sales and HD Tri Glide have taken off in comparison. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Gold Wing sales are stale. They haven't done much at all to improve the bike in a long time. And, the Spyder sales and HD Tri Glide have taken off in comparison. Tom
    The MT owner commented that when you have 500,000 (or whatever it is) car sales in a year, and a few thousand m/c sales in a year, it's not hard to realize which one gets the corporate attention and money!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GREAT INFO....

I have a dealer near me that builds the Motor Trikes (reverse & traditional) and the R18...I have ridden only the R18 and that is a VERY impressive ride...I should get to ride a MT reverse models yet this fall...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Goldwings

My dealer Is also a Honda dealer, he told me that they didn't sell one new Goldwing last year..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default Performance

"For a performance comparison he cited a highway curve with a reverse camber signed at 40 or 45 mph near their factory. A two wheel Wing, and the conventional trike, can take the curve easily at 65. He took his reverse trike around it at about 82 mph. His son, who is either braver or dumber, I don't know which, rode the reverse trike around the curve at 87 mph! As for cost the kit is about the same as the conventional trike but installation labor is about 1/2 as much. The front wheel track is a bit narrower than the Spyder."

Thanks for the informative post. I find it interesting that we are seeing an increased market for reverse trike conversions, which make sense given the layout offers greater stability than a traditional trike layout and likely the Spyder has provided some market acceptance.

Even more interesting is that the bike conversions, whether reverse or traditional, are free from a nanny's interference and the riders seem to be able to stay on the road. I thought without a nanny
    all trike riders were doomed to flip over on the first corner...or is that just Spyders?

Terry
    Last edited by Yukonf3; 09-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    2015 F3 SM6
    Windscreen, bags, backrest, cowl, BajaRon anti-sway bar
    Two Bros exhaust

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write-up, Mac.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Also surprised at the drop in Wing sales. Noticable here. Do not see as many Wings as I had previously.

Market contracting? We are gradually dying off.

It's going to be an interesting next five years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've been around in one form or another since 1975; It would be a shame to see them come to an end...
    I wonder how this 40-plus year run compares to other bikes?

Spyder Garage

They've been around in one form or another since 1975; It would be a shame to see them come to an end...
    I wonder how this 40-plus year run compares to other bikes?
    I had the first 1975 GoldWing sold in MSP/St. Paul area. Traded in a Triumph Trident. It was smooth but

give me a good Harley Ultra Classic any day for Freeway cross country traveling.

Jack

Harley has been around since 1903 and the final episode of Harley and the Davidsons is on tonight on

the Discovery Channel
    Last edited by jaherbst; 09-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that Harley has had a spectacular run; I'm talking about specific models from a manufacturer...
    The Sportsters came out in 1957 (I think...)

My GL was an '83 1100-Interstate!
    It was my favorite two-wheeler of all time!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great write up
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I had the first 1975 GoldWing sold in MSP/St. Paul area. Traded in a Triumph Trident. It was smooth but

give me a good Harley Ultra Classic any day for Freeway cross country traveling.

Jack

Harley has been around since 1903 and the final episode of Harley and the Davidsons is on tonight on

the Discovery Channel
    I have been watching that one. Interesting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tuned in for the first episode; it just didn't catch my continued interest...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-08-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wing Ding 38 - great turnout! Yes, with the poor economy all 'high end' brands including Goldwing suffer. Moving the Goldwing production to Japan was a big mistake! Earthquake damage to the plants, slow design changes, etc ....
    Reverse trike is a great design. It's taken a few years for Can Am to get the bugs ironed out, it will take others to get the Wing versions going.
    I've been a GW owner for 15+ years and bought a 2014 Spyder RTS last year. It's a FABULOUS machine!
    I'm a certified GWRRA Trike Instructor and have integrated 'reverse trike' information to my courses. My class at Wing Ding had 5 GW & 5 Spyders.
    GWRRA has always stood for Safety & Knowledge in motorcycle riding. Check out our web sites and stop by a local chapter and meet you friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk