Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Have an RT? Trade up.....to an F3. Then get the idler pulley! And 2 up rear shock!
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fantabstic View Post
    I bought my kit about 400 miles ago and it has developed a high pitch whine at 31-41 MPH. Any suggestions? Another thread has started on this issue stating that a bearing in the kit is bad.
    Its still under warranty.....dont hassle something that they will replace. Do it now, the riding season awaits you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got home from my dealer and a long ride after he installed my BRP idler. My vibration issue 100% GONE! I also noticed the bike was smoother at lower speeds as well even after hitting bumps. I'm guessing when the rear tire/belt bounces from a bump the idler keeps the belt from bouncing too much. I still think BRP should have made the idler a warranty item but it was a cheap fix so thumbs up anyway. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Default It's the idler arm

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Just got home from my dealer and a long ride after he installed my BRP idler. My vibration issue 100% GONE! I also noticed the bike was smoother at lower speeds as well even after hitting bumps. I'm guessing when the rear tire/belt bounces from a bump the idler keeps the belt from bouncing too much. I still think BRP should have made the idler a warranty item but it was a cheap fix so thumbs up anyway. My thoughts.
    Mine was the same for just 400 miles then the whine started. Took off the idler arm and the vibration was back but the whine was gone. Put it back on and the vibration was gone and the whine started again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fantabstic View Post
    Mine was the same for just 400 miles then the whine started. Took off the idler arm and the vibration was back but the whine was gone. Put it back on and the vibration was gone and the whine started again.
    You could be correct. I dont know what the future brings but I wear hearing protection when I ride so I will probably never hear the whine you describe. I have over 300 miles with it and so far so good. The vibration is almost completely gone. For the $50.00 it cost to purchase and install I feel I got my monies worth. Do I spend 3x that on other brands that are built the same way? I don't have the answers but I'm happy so far.

Spyder Garage

I have only a couple hundred miles on my idler as well. No whine...and the vibrations are gone.
    On my 2008 GS I had another 3rd party tensioner and it whined like crazy.. people riding behind me noticed it big time.

If mine fails or starts whining I'll switch to the 'Doc' modifies version and see how that does.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Just put the idler on my F3-T and the vibes are gone but I keep looking in my mirror to see where the cop is (or fire truck or ambulance). That's how loud the thing whines! Wonder if there is a "fix" like lubing it....

Definitely suspicious that the thing bolts on to the existing frame with the bolts already there. Worked in the auto industry for 20 years and I understand the cost savings. Heck we used to drop things that cost pennies. BuRP probably thought about including it but didn't for 2 reasons. Not all F spYders vibrate severely and it's NOISY! So, they make us pay $40 for it. Is it worth it? Only reason I put it on was because my F3 shuddered at 65-73 mph. Highway speeds on the nose. Just turn up the stereo* and forget it.

****EDIT****
    Make sure that the idler roller is perfectly straight to the belt. Even a little off and it will whine. Just a slight misalignment will cause noise. Fixed that and mine no longer whines. Wonder if that's the cause of failures.
    ****EDIT****

*NOTE on the iPod nano 5. If you use the little trick for listening which would be push the ECO button just after turning off the key, the stereo will play but it forgets where it was on the iPod and plays all your songs in alphabetical order. I have an ear worm of "Abra Abra cadabra. Just want to reach out and grab ya" . Getting back to where it was can be a pain. Select playlist and thumb through your songs to get there using those ultra comfy multi tasking buttons.
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 12-20-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you already have the BRP kit for either the F3 or RT (with our adaptor), the upgrade is $115, which includes shipping...

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

Spyder Garage

I have doc's on my 15 RT-S No whining noise at all.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I wish you would ship to Canada as well Doc........

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
    I wish you would ship to Canada as well Doc........
    We do all the time and I believe it is the same cost (or close). PM me your address and I will have Kathy reference it.

Spyder Garage

I had the Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner installed on my 2016 F3 LTD. I decided to spent the extra after seeing the BRP tensioner. Smoothspyder just looked better and like it would last MUCH longer. I can say I absolutely love the difference in the way it rides. No vibration at any speeds and has improved the downshifting so it is smooth as well.

Love My Spyder

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have the BRP model for well over 2000 miles and no whine or vibration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    Where can it be ordered from?
    Amazon has them
    2016 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

I have BRP Idler kits available, $38 including shipping.
    PM me or Email me at jim@smoothspyder.com if you need one.
    Thanks