Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nasty View Post
    Hi,
    any RT owner bought one these and do a mod? if the postage is reasonable to England. I think I will get one, looks like its only a bracket fitting mod, maybe replace plastic arm with stainless, as I work in engineer industry.
    cheers nasty.
    They aren't generally available yet, Nasty, apart from a few beta versions that have been installed for testing. I have preordered for Australia and they expect them to be here around late October.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Ordered mine today from Temecula Motorsports. $34.77 But it is on back order.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    The kit should be FREE because it being sold to fix an engineering defect!

mark

BRP Steve, thanks for the info on the F3 idler wheel kits. This is a good step in the right direction for BRP. I am on my second RTS, the first was a 2010 and my present one is a 2014. lets face it, I believe all spyders have belt vibration at certain speeds and would all benefit from idler wheels. With any mechanical equipment, vibration is not a good thing. Over the long term, components are stressed and prone to failure. I am sure most of us simply avoid the speed and RPM's where our individual spyders vibrate the most. As mentioned in other post, tightening or loosening the belt will simply move the vibration one way or the other.
    Is the vibration on an RT a deal breaker? Of course not, we all learn to ride and adapt to the short comings of our machines and it becomes 2nd nature for us. It would be great for BRP to continue to address this issue to help us out.

"some who may have experienced some belt vibration" Should Read: All who have experienced belt vibration.
    "belt vibrations felt by some" Should Read: belt vibrations felt by all.

Of course we know corporate has to tip toe around saying too much. I understand. :-)
    Thanks STEVE for you help and all that you do for us. It is greatly appreciated.
    Stan

Last edited by StanProff; 12-21-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bump for date reference.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F-3S and I am now able to buy one of these idler wheels. I am in PA. Can anyone tell me where and how to order one of these?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any BRP dealer can get you one of theirs.
    But if you want one of Doc's: get in touch with the guy whose post is right above yours!
    (Personally: I prefer his setup with 2 bearings!)

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

They may be more money, but you're getting a whole lot more for your green!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down BRP flaw on F3 vibration

Of course BRP has recognized the vibration problem on the F3. I agree since it seems to be a mfg flaw, they should install the Idler Wheel Kit at their cost. Dream on, BRP is greedy. Why do you think all their accessories are double & triple the price of what we pay in the after market world. But if we don't buy it from BRP, they void our warranty. They don't care about the customer but they sure take our US dollars. Not fair!

Spyder Garage

I have read about all the different vibration dampeners out there but I was wondering about how well each holds up. How long do they last and who has had failures and what happens when they do fail. Do the bearings ever go out. It seems that the small size of some of the pulleys would make them have to run at a very high RPM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brass-monky View Post
    I have read about all the different vibration dampeners out there but I was wondering about how well each holds up. How long do they last and who has had failures and what happens when they do fail. Do the bearings ever go out. It seems that the small size of some of the pulleys would make them have to run at a very high RPM.
    Considering the BRP one is $35 and the others are $200 - $300 this should make the decision pretty easy. You could replace the BRP one many times for the price of one of the others.
    I've used the others and the BRP one flat out works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If "Cheap" is what matters to you:
    But with Murphy's Law lurking: it's not going to fail in your driveway.
    I think that Doc's setup should be more reliable over a longer period of time.

In my inexpert opinion; of course!

Spyder Garage

The nice thing about our kit is that if you go the cheaper route you can still upgrade later and use the bracket and spring. Only thing you need is the arm and pulley ($100).

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed the BRP one and it works like a charm. Easy install too. Hardest part is removing the panels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I have a 2016 F-3S and I am now able to buy one of these idler wheels. I am in PA. Can anyone tell me where and how to order one of these?
    I ordered through Two Jacks up in Wilkesbarre and they just installed. waiting to go pick it up!

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Any BRP dealer can get you one of theirs.
    But if you want one of Doc's: get in touch with the guy whose post is right above yours!
    (Personally: I prefer his setup with 2 bearings!)

They may be more money, but you're getting a whole lot more for your green!
    I do like this one from http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products Is the BRP aluminum grade like dochumphreys? Otherwise, I prefer to get Doc Humphrey instead.

Spyder Garage

Default idler kit

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We've got some great news for any F3 riders who have experienced some belt vibration at higher speeds.

As was discussed in this thread, BRP will in fact be offering an idler wheel kit (PN 219800412) accessory that will help reduce belt vibrations felt by some customers at certain cruising speeds.

The kit should be available this fall and its price is set at 34,99$ US/39,99$ CAN - note that this does not include installation time. Installation should take approximately 20 minutes.

This kit is only compatible with the F3 series of Spyders.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

- Steve
    Hi Steve,

I posted this question in the past and again yesterday: Will this idler kit help with the awefull howl my belt makes around 65 and around 130???
    ( I ride in Germany, where the speeds are somewhat higher..) At my dealer we did various attempts with the tightness of the belt, to no avail.
    I dont feel much of a vibration, but the belthowl is a pain, despite closed Shoei helmet!

Regards,Peter

Heidelberg, Germany

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    Hi Steve,

I posted this question in the past and again yesterday: Will this idler kit help with the awefull howl my belt makes around 65 and around 130???
    ( I ride in Germany, where the speeds are somewhat higher..) At my dealer we did various attempts with the tightness of the belt, to no avail.
    I dont feel much of a vibration, but the belthowl is a pain, despite closed Shoei helmet!

Regards,Peter

Heidelberg, Germany
    Truthfully, I am not sure if it will fix the howl. I have had my '17 F3S Daytona up to 110 and other than a great deal of wind noise and exhaust sound, that was all. I think if I were you I would buy the cheaper BRP one first and if that fixes it, you can always buy the cheaper upgrade kit #1 and use the guts of the BRP kit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    Hi Steve,

Regards,Peter

Heidelberg, Germany
    Are you sure it's the belt? How many miles ?
    I would check the front sprocket. Also could be a bearing.
    Might also try some belt dressing/lube. Just a dab of synthetic grease often helps.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious:
    Is this a "real" 130, or the metric one?

Spyder Garage

Default Hi Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm curious:
    Is this a "real" 130, or the metric one?
    its kmh, or, as you call it, 'the un-real one'. But I do regularly cruise, with the Madstad-screen up, with around 155plus/minus kmh on clean stretches of Autobahn. We do have over 80 million people in a country barely larger than north Dakota, and still one can can find empty roads and even Autobahns. IF THERE WAS NOT THAT ANNOYING HOWL FROM THE BELT!!!!

Regards, Peter

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Idler Wheel Kit

I ordered and installed the BRP Idler Wheel kit. It was easy and my trike's ride feels smoother all the way around.... A definite plus and winner.

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Is it fixed now?

Can anyone tell me if they have fixed this issue on the new 2017's F3's either by including the idler as standard or some other fix. Or do you have to purchase this to solve the vibration on new models also.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The idler is still an accessory.
    You have to realize that not everybody rides at the speeds where the harmonic vibrations occur.
    It's more cost-effective for everybody, to address the need for it; only when it is actually needed...

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    Can anyone tell me if they have fixed this issue on the new 2017's F3's either by including the idler as standard or some other fix. Or do you have to purchase this to solve the vibration on new models also.
    My 17 F3 Limited did not have it. I purchased BRP's idler and installed it in less than 30 minutes. I had the vibration between speeds of 65 to 75 mph. It works like a charm.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think anyone looking to buy an F3 should at least request the dealer fit the BRP Idler kit as part of the deal
    Its cost is so small compared to the total purchase price I don't think any dealer would not be willing to do it
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default F3 idle kit failure

I bought my kit about 400 miles ago and it has developed a high pitch whine at 31-41 MPH. Any suggestions? Another thread has started on this issue stating that a bearing in the kit is bad.