Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Failure Update - Please Respond if you have had it happen.

So I was contacted by BRP Cares. A great thing by itself. They monitor the various social media sites as we all know. Curiously they claim not to see online reports of this or feedback from dealers. BRP has been working with me and the dealer to get my issue resolved. Where I have a BIG problem is the engineer in me would like to have a comfort level in why this is happening. After the 2014 models of the RT the sprocket was changed. All models of Spyders (according to Cheapcycle and PowerSportswarehouse) for 2015 use the same front sprocket. Only the RT models and F3 models use that sprocket in 2016. From what I have read and previous posts it seems about 25 or so F3 owners have experienced the failure. Not a huge number in itself when you consider the number of Spyders produced in 2015 and 2016 and according to my dealer the sprocket has been superseded by a new number. Please correct me if I missed it but I haven't run across any other models in the current year range experiencing this issue. That I find a little puzzling. If it is truly a random occurrence why not a sprinkling across all models. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyders (we are on our third in less than 3 years) and I don't want anything out of BRP other than my bike fixed and a plausible explanation. Not that I expect any particular outcome but please comment if you have had the failure along with year, model and mileage. As others have suggested, it would be good to take a peek around the sprocket for metal shavings and be sure the sprocket bolt is at the correct torque. Pick an interval you are comfortable with, some suggested oil change time (if you are using the BRP oil change interval I would recommend something shorted). Failures seem to fall in the 12k to 17k range with a few outliers (mine at 9K and BikerDoc at 26k)

Mine was a 2015 F3s with less than 9,000 miles

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default YUP

HAPPENED TO ME AT 17,000 MILES....
    HAPPENED TO A COUPLE OTHERS WITH ABOUT THE SAME MILEAGE....
    I HEARD THAT THE REPLACEMENT SPROCKET HAS A DIFFERENT PART NUMBER... WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT THEY'VE FIXED THE PROBLEM....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    EASLEY, SC

Spyder Garage

happened to me right around 12k! 2015 f3s!

Spyder Garage

2012 RTS SE5 @ appx 25K, though I believe mechanic error was a contributing factor.

Spyder Garage

What are the beginning signs of failure?

Spyder Garage

Default Listen....👂

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    I normally have my music on all the way into the garage so I did not notice till one day I got the mail then coasted engine off and head a knuckle grinding noise. The bolt had come loose. I re torqued it but it felt spongy so I replaced it and the sproket for the new one cause having been loose there was some wear. I did notice that the old sproket had a cotter keyway but none on the shaft the new one did not....wonder if that extra slot has to do with the bolt coming loose..

20150630_121204.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I would like to know if those that have had the failure were running a tensioner to mitigate the belt vibration? I have a theory that the high vibration harmonics are contributing to the problem.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

When I had my 2015 F3's at the Spyder Dealer shop yesterday for the Recall suspension stiffener the head technician manager told me excessive belt tension was causing output drive shaft part failures--thus they have changed from the belt tension # adjustment to the decibel meter for belt adjustment. He also stated that Yamaha was switching to the decibel belt tension method also.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default NONE

NO SIGNS....
    I RODE DOWN RT. 85, EVERYTHING WAS FINE... EXITED AND CONTINUED FOR ABOUT A MILE, PUT MY DIRECTIONAL ON TO TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT OF MY CREDIT UNION, TOOK THE TURN CLIMBED THE DRIVEWAY, SLIGHT INCLINE, TURNED RIGHT AND GAVE IT JUST A BIG OF GAS, AND Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz HEARD THAT SOUND OF 'TROUBLE'... AND NO LONGER HAD FORWARD ABILITIES... BASICALLY, ZERO WARNING....
    EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF WARNING 2 OF MY FRIENDS HAD...
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I would like to know if those that have had the failure were running a tensioner to mitigate the belt vibration? I have a theory that the high vibration harmonics are contributing to the problem.

I don't have a tensioner and wondered the same thing. It would seem that variations in belt tension could be a factor in why the failures happen at different mileages.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Very little. I had some noise but it was passed off as normal. If you look below the sprocket and see metal shavings it is probably starting to go.

CJ JAX