Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I know this is a very subjective question, just looking for ideas.

Finally should be getting our RTL buy the weeks end, yet we still have not decided on helmets. kind of just looking for ideas. We know we want light weight and have been looking at several modular helmets. Yes we know we have to try some on for fit and such. If not to much trouble can we see what you wear.

Thanks
    Chasin

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

Usually ride with a Fulmer 3/4. It saved me in scooter crash.

Now I have a Modular GMax 54S. Light and comfortable as well as affordable.
    It has a flashing LED light in the back of the helmet. Also an integrated sun visor.
    Purchased from ValueAccessories.net, one of our sponsors.

Spyder Garage

Default Schuberth c3

Wife and I switched from can am helmets to the Schuberth full face c3 helmet and couldn't be happier. Lighter than our old 3/4 helmet much better protection, and extremely quiet. Revzilla.com is an excellent web site with real nice reviews if your interested.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Schuberth C3 Pro here. Only advice: try one on if possible before purchasing.
    Super quiet. With a SENA 10U almost perfect. A bit expensive, but costs less than a skull repair job !
    Veni, vidi, discessit

Potius sero quam nunquam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Schuberth C3 Pro here. Only advice: try one on if possible before purchasing.
    Super quiet. With a SENA 10U almost perfect. A bit expensive, but costs less than a skull repair job !
    Your pic shows you with the Shoei Neotec. I just ordered 2 of the neotec's, tell me there isn't a good reason you switched......

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I wear a FF286 from LS2, it is a modular with a drop down tinted sun shade, very comfortable, decent airflow and lighter than the HJC I had, fits better too.
    It also uses a ratchet latch system on the chin strap instead of the double D rings, much easier to use!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Schuberth c3 pro quitest, lightweight, most, air flow , best air dynamics.
    You need to buy a littlte tight it will conform after two days of painfull driving.
    These helmets will make a huge difference on the comfort and fatigue of long rides.
    You realy have to try one on for good fit. BMW motorcycle stores have them in stock. You can not buy them even on line any cheaper, schuberth does not allow discounting of their helmets.
    Pricey but cheaper then buying and re buying

Spyder Garage

Default +1

+1 on the modular helmet. LS2's are quiet enough behind the wind screen. I did have to modify the top air intake though, added a small scoop to improve air flow--- works great. Fit is perfect for my fat, round head and comm. system installed easily.

KAOS
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

The best advise for Helmets.
    Buy the one that fits and you'll wear.
    www.webbikeworld.com is the best place to do research for Helmets. Look for the one that fit's your Head not other's.

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

My wife and I opted for the C3 Pro as well after trying several others. Find it best overall for the same reasons others have stated above. It is difficult to buy online without being able to actually wear the helmet and every manufacturers fits differently. Even the C3 Pro men's fits different then the C3 Pro Women's which has different padding.

We love the built in sun shade so I don't need to worry about sunglasses. Very quiet and allows us to enjoy Pandora on our Sena's 10S. My local BMW dealer (Morton's BMW - Frederickburg, VA) sells them cheaper than buying direct from Revzilla.com.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

You're in the bulls-eye on the subjective part. I wear a Shoei Neotec that is way too heavy for my bride. We went through the tortures of the damned finding one that was light and comfortable enough for her until she settled on a G Force open face that also has internal flip down sun screen. I would say though that the problem was less onerous than it could have been if it wasn't for Revizilla.com. We oredered and returned I don't remember how many helmets that she didn't like and the Revzilla folks were most helpful and accommodating -- and fast too.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am using an HJC Modular now because of fit, big round head and HJC goes up to 5X (wearing 3X). The wife has a Sedici Systema modular in XL. Both have the internal sun shield. Before these we had full face Scorpions that we liked. Their stuff has a lot of features for the money.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    The best advise for Helmets.
    Buy the one that fits and you'll wear.
    www.webbikeworld.com is the best place to do research for Helmets. Look for the one that fit's your Head not other's.

You asked to see what I wear: You can see mine - HJC CL-17 Redline Motorcycle Helmet Hi Viz Yellow

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg p.jpg (8.6 KB, 614 views)
    Last edited by BeRight; 08-28-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Figured out how to add picture
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends

...on what you want it for! If you want a helmet because you HAVE to wear one, then the Lovely German Army helmet, and other sill half helmets are out there! If you want one that is SAFE and will protect you should the unthinkable happen. Don't look at just a DOT certified helmet, go with any helmet that you find that bears the SNELL certification sticker on it. We wear ARAI Deffiant helmets. They are safe, quiet, EXTREMELY well ventilated and because they fit us we live them!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Helmets very subjective like oil and seats. They have to fit right to work good.

I have six assorted Nolan brand. N-40 N 100 and then upline N44 and N104. The Sena SM10 does not work on the N44--the attachment area is to thick. We have our communicators on the N40 versions.

I like the modular as compared to the full face variety. This is a comfort thing for us, rather than a safety issue. This year, I have yet to wear my full face version 104. My Nolans are not the CamAm brand. We bought ours locally so they could be tried on before purchase.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i ride with a 3/4 with a clear flip shield. i like the air in my face, so most of the time the shield is up. i used to ride with a half helmet. then one day i was lucky to be wearing my flip, and i went down and totaled out my helmet. if i was wearing the half helmet, i would of had bad road rash on my left side of my face and ear. never wore a half helmet again
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Because of the fit we have the Scorpion EXO-AT950 modular w/sena20s. once we tried these on, as compared to the HJC and Nolans, these one out.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...6&d=1471975526

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Because of the fit we have the Scorpion EXO-AT950 modular w/sena20s. once we tried these on, as compared to the HJC and Nolans, these one out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw another vote on the Schuberth C3-Pro pile!

But you have to pick the one that fits you the best!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    ...on what you want it for! If you want a helmet because you HAVE to wear one, then the Lovely German Army helmet, and other sill half helmets are out there! If you want one that is SAFE and will protect you should the unthinkable happen. Don't look at just a DOT certified helmet, go with any helmet that you find that bears the SNELL certification sticker on it. We wear ARAI Deffiant helmets. They are safe, quiet, EXTREMELY well ventilated and because they fit us we live them!
    Safety first of course but safety also come with fit and design. none of them will be safe if you do not wear them because they are etiher to heavy or fit poorly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...6&d=1471975526

I have the street version...EXO-920, but got mine from Italy because they had a better graphic that I liked. I got a Medium that it pretty snug around the cheeks, but I haven't worn it but a couple times and still need to break it in. We also added the Scala Packtalks to it and so far I like it. It's not DOT, but does have the Euro standards which some may argue are better.
    Scorpion-EXO-920-GEM-Klapphelm-BF1U1825.jpg

The hubby has a Caberge Tourmax and loves it....also from Italy (burnoutitaly.com).

I agree with reviewing Webbikeworld.com as they have a bunch of reviews. They also have some 'garage sale' items if you're the right size. Good luck shopping!

Spyder Garage

I am on my second Shoei Hornet. I destroyed the first one colliding with an Asian Black Buck on may 9th this year that was hidden in the grass and jumped right in front of me. I went over the handle bars and struck the pavement at about 60mph head first with enough force to crack my left eye socket. Spent 3 weeks in acute care. That skull bucket saved what few brains I have, for sure. I never realized how much helicopter rides cost, much less what 3 weeks in the hospital trauma center costs.

I ride a lot of dirt and I like the visor on the Hornet, even on the road bikes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TallyAmNole View Post
    I have the street version...EXO-920, but got mine from Italy because they had a better graphic that I liked. I got a Medium that it pretty snug around the cheeks, but I haven't worn it but a couple times and still need to break it in. We also added the Scala Packtalks to it and so far I like it. It's not DOT, but does have the Euro standards which some may argue are better.
    Scorpion-EXO-920-GEM-Klapphelm-BF1U1825.jpg

The hubby has a Caberge Tourmax and loves it....also from Italy (burnoutitaly.com).

I agree with reviewing Webbikeworld.com as they have a bunch of reviews. They also have some 'garage sale' items if you're the right size. Good luck shopping!
    They call the New EXO-AT950 the adventure touring helmet. the visor is removable, butbon it looks off raod

CapeSpyder
    Sent From my Note 5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wear an HJC IS-Max 2 because I needed a XXXL, the quality is solid, though not Shoei like I used to buy. Speaker cutouts make Sena install easier. It's a bit noisy in the wind, but not terrible. Ventilation is decent, pinloc as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an IS-Max... it was a very noisy ride; when compared to the Schuberth.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black