Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid!!!!!

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default stupid!!!!!

I just finished changing my oil and filters, again. And I cannot believe the intelligence level of the Can Am Spyder designers! To change oil one must remove not one, but 4 body panels to access the drain plugS and filterS. Not one plug, mind you, but TWO! STUPID! And replace not one oil filter, mind you, but TWO! And different filters at that! STUPID! Especially since the oil is used in both the engine and transmission, why TWO and not only two, but two DIFFERENT filters. In all of my motorcycles that used the same oil in the tranny and the engine not one had more than ONE drain plug and ONE filter.

Unbelievable!!

Spyder Garage

Default Share Your Concern

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    I just finished changing my oil and filters, again. And I cannot believe the intelligence level of the Can Am Spyder designers! To change oil one must remove not one, but 4 body panels to access the drain plugS and filterS. Not one plug, mind you, but TWO! STUPID! And replace not one oil filter, mind you, but TWO! And different filters at that! STUPID! Especially since the oil is used in both the engine and transmission, why TWO and not only two, but two DIFFERENT filters. In all of my motorcycles that used the same oil in the tranny and the engine not one had more than ONE drain plug and ONE filter.

Unbelievable!!

I share your concern(s). There must be logic for both filters ... it would be interesting to hear from BRP.

For me, I have been considering drilling out a large hole under the Spyder, so that a plastic cap can be inserted when not needed, to avoid the removal of the bottom plastic plate. It would then be so easy to snap out the cap, drain the oil, retighten the cap, and then snap the cap back in. I wonder if anybody else has ever done this?

Spyder Garage

If you only wanted one filter then you should have bought a manual version. It only has one. Maybe it's time to trade yours in.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If you only wanted one filter then you should have bought a manual version. It only has one. Maybe it's time to trade yours in.
    Flippy Flappy girl transmissions have two filters.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Engineers/ designers should be required to work on what they designed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Flippy Flappy girl transmissions have two filters.
    I betcha my left hand doesn't get as tired as yours whilst sitting at one of those extra-long traffic signals or tied up in rush hour traffic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I betcha my left hand doesn't get as tired as yours whilst sitting at one of those extra-long traffic signals or tied up in rush hour traffic.
    I have no problem, but you can always kick it up to (N) if the wait is too long.
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I was getting worried, thought I missed a filter! Didn't know that the SE's have two, the SM's only one, whew !!!

Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

....and don't forget...placing those two drains just ONE INCH further apart than my catch pan's diameter, so I can't drain both with the same pan at the same time.

....and the two filter covers that could, BUT DON'T use the same length screws, so that if you inadvertently get them switched your engine filter cover looks and feels tight, but won't hold oil. Ask me how I know.

....and NO COLD SUMP DIPSTICK!! 'Cause (see above) now I'm not sure how much oil I have left in the engine and I don't want to run it to op-temp to check the level since it might not be safe because, again, I'm not sure how much oil I have left in the engine. I guess I'll just dump 2 quarts in and work up from there.

I had a wonderful afternoon yesterday. Sure am glad I only do this once a year. Now I have a huge oil spot on my carport floor to remind me not do do stupid stuff in future.

Spyder Garage

I have a Suzuki M109 LE that has 2 drain plugs. It does however have only 1 filter. I just got the F3 T so have not experienced the filter and oil change yet but will no doubt have the same thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I have a Suzuki M109 LE that has 2 drain plugs. It does however have only 1 filter. I just got the F3 T so have not experienced the filter and oil change yet but will no doubt have the same thoughts.
    They have a different engine then you have and the HCM filter does not get changed everytime the engine filter does on yours.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yes, I agree totally.
    For routine maintenance, such as oil changes, taking off all that body work is really foolish.
    At least on the newer ACE engines, the maintenance interval has bee substantially increased.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: While your changing your oil, change out those allen/torx head drain plugs to hex head plugs from Dimple Products.

In general, I have to say that maintenance on these machines is not well thought out.
    Wait till you have to change out a headlight bulb !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Yes, I agree totally.
    For routine maintenance, such as oil changes, taking off all that body work is really foolish.
    At least on the newer ACE engines, the maintenance interval has bee substantially increased.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: While your changing your oil, change out those allen/torx head drain plugs to hex head plugs from Dimple Products.

In general, I have to say that maintenance on these machines is not well thought out.
    Wait till you have to change out a headlight bulb !
    Have done. What a PIA!!

Spyder Garage

Default Change Headlight Bulb on ST

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Yes, I agree totally. For routine maintenance, such as oil changes, taking off all that body work is really foolish. At least on the newer ACE engines, the maintenance interval has bee substantially increased. IMPORTANT NOTE: While your changing your oil, change out those allen/torx head drain plugs to hex head plugs from Dimple Products. In general, I have to say that maintenance on these machines is not well thought out. Wait till you have to change out a headlight bulb !
    I will be changing the original two-different-sized drain plugs to Gold Plug drain plugs at the next oil change. Both use 17mm wrenches ... just like "real" motorcycles, and the magnets are supposed to be super magnetic. As for changing a headlight bulb on an ST, yeesh .. who thought that process up! Many parts to remove, skinned knuckles ... owch! There are many areas of the Spyder that makes one wonder who thought of the way to put everything together. Try changing spark plugs and an air filter on an ST. :-( :-(

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Got you beat, my Triump Rocket3 has 3 drain plugs

Spyder Garage

My Honda NighthawkS had 3 drain plugs plus the spin on filter. The use sections of the frame to circulate the oil up to an oil cooling radiator. One large oil pan would catch the filter, the crankcase, and one frame drain. Then a coffee can caught the 2nd frame drain. Fun fun fun. It was a great bike tho! Shaft drive and auto valve adjusters so oil and plugs were about the only maintenance ever needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    I share your concern(s). There must be logic for both filters ... it would be interesting to hear from BRP.

For me, I have been considering drilling out a large hole under the Spyder, so that a plastic cap can be inserted when not needed, to avoid the removal of the bottom plastic plate. It would then be so easy to snap out the cap, drain the oil, retighten the cap, and then snap the cap back in. I wonder if anybody else has ever done this?
    It's not really that hard to remove and replace that panel. But if it bothers you that much. Do as many others do and just do not put it back on. Hang it on the wall as art.

It is perfectly logical to have 2 filters. There are 2 separate systems that only share the oil and oil tank on a SE5 like you have. The HCM draws oil out of the oil tank. That oil could be dirty after returning from the engine. So it needs to be filtered before going through the HCM. Same with the engine. Oil in the tank could be dirty so needs to be filtered before going through the engine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not really that hard to remove and replace that panel. But if it bothers you that much. Do as many others do and just do not put it back on. Hang it on the wall as art.

It is perfectly logical to have 2 filters. There are 2 separate systems that only share the oil and oil tank on a SE5 like you have. The HCM draws oil out of the oil tank. That oil could be dirty after returning from the engine. So it needs to be filtered before going through the HCM. Same with the engine. Oil in the tank could be dirty so needs to be filtered before going through the engine.
    Doesn't make sense to me. The method off rotating the shifting drum has nothing to do with the oil or internal components of the transmission or of the engine crankcase. So, why is it logical to have 2 separate systems? Requiring 2 separate filters? Arrange the oil return passages/lines to utilize one filter.

Spyder Garage

Of course oil is involved in rotating shift drum. Hydraulic pressure moves the external shift lever. That replaces your foot doing it on a manual.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of course oil is involved in rotating shift drum. Hydraulic pressure moves the external shift lever. That replaces your foot doing it on a manual.
    maybe I am the stupid one, but I must disagree a bit. True, the hydraulic piston does the actual shifting, but this piston is completely sealed in the oil bath. The actual actuation of the shifter is done by an electrically powered solenoid valve outside the transmission housing. Sooo, again I ask why the separate filter for the transmission?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi kep-up,

Re: Doesn't make sense to me.

It does not make any sense to me either. I'm a retired Mech Engr & agree with everything that you've post in this thread.

A very simple effort at efficient design would have one filter + easy access to it = lower costs to the owners.

What is so difficult about that?

Jerry Baumchen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't make sense to me. The method off rotating the shifting drum has nothing to do with the oil or internal components of the transmission or of the engine crankcase. So, why is it logical to have 2 separate systems? Requiring 2 separate filters? Arrange the oil return passages/lines to utilize one filter.

This is the reason why you are the consumer and they are the manufacturer, engineers. Life is full of unknown but we need to deal with and move on.

You are also the reason why things get better by pointing out issues that can be improve. I've work on a diesel engine that no oil change is required because the old oil is process and added to the fuel system. I have chevy equinox that have no auto transmission dipstick. We can accomplish a lot of things when we work together.

Welcome to our new world

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I miss the "Good Old Days"; when we only complained about the valve stem on the rear wheel...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2 cent's worth on the subject. if you do not have a skinned owie, or a stripped bolt/nut, or a missing fastener, you are CLEARLY NOT BONDING WITH YOUR SPYDER. It is a gentle and loving learning curve...... Think about it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    Having known a few engineers myself it helps to know they are still just doing their job & were givin a set of parameters to work with. Those parameters are not yours. At this time, when it is your time what will you come up with?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bfromla; 12-09-2016 at 02:21 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights