Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well Road Force Balance

was a Bust.

Took it to a shop that had a road force balancing machine only to find out 1.5 hours later that they don't have an adapter to fit the front wheels.

Then I called around and that turned into a bust.

So for those that have had the road force balance done what adapters did they use if you know?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smart Car Wheels?? I was talking about SPyder front wheels..

Or is an adapter that fits smart car wheels for the spyder?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I tried as well, no one around me has a small enough adapter.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Smart Car rims have the same centre, dia, & stud pattern as the Spyder front rims, so if they have the adaptor to fit & can balance Smart Car wheels, then they can balance Spyder front wheels.

The Spyder rear wheels are different again & you probably won't find too many who can do them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: It doesn't read the same without the comma's!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well from the calls I placed earlier today nobody has one that small or close to it. They would say bring in the wheel and we can check..Dont feel like driving all over to find out it does fit the wheel.

May just have to go and try the spin balance again someplace else and see what comes out if it..

I seen a adapter hunter sells that looks like may work but if the tire shop doesn't have it then I am SOL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Well......

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    was a Bust.

Took it to a shop that had a road force balancing machine only to find out 1.5 hours later that they don't have an adapter to fit the front wheels.

Then I called around and that turned into a bust.

So for those that have had the road force balance done what adapters did they use if you know?
    I bought the needed adapter.
    RoadForce and weights reduction is the way to go.
    I posted several years ago about my positive experience using the Hunter RoadForce system

Bill Pitman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    I posted several years ago about my positive experience using the Hunter RoadForce system

Bill Pitman
    Where did you buy the adapter? Thanks Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Here ya go......

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post

Bill Pitman
    This info is from August of 2011:

Additional info from Hunter....

Bill, Feel free to post the following on your CanAm Spyder forum. I should have taken a couple pictures of the cone & adapter setup we used!

Additional information that may be beneficial to others seeking a vibration-free ride with the use of Hunter's GSP9700 Road Force Balancer:

Hunter has a web site to locate shops that have 9700s (www.gsp9700.com) whereby you can enter a zip code and search around that area. You will not be able to know if the shop has sent technicians to Hunter's advanced "Rolling Smooth" training and you will not know if they have the adapters needed to mount and center the Spyder wheels on the unit. On the other hand, using the necessary adapters and procedure below isn't really advanced skill level.
    Adapters utilized: #20-1929-1, Medium Duty Truck cone kit (see page 9 of Hunter Accessory Brochure) was needed as we used half of this two piece kit to establish a backing plate area on the balancer's hub that would accommodate the Spyder's small flat wheel surface. Without this, it would likely be a crap shoot to properly mount it with any other adapter pieces. #192-51-2, Smallest low taper cone (see page 11 of Hunter Accessory Brochure) was then used from the outside to center the wheel. With this "outside cone" set up it is also necessary to use the standard accessory #223-68-1, Pressure Ring with the wing nut (see page 6 of Hunter Accessory Brochure).

Procedure used:
    1) Quick Check balancer calibration
    2) Perform Centering Check on first assembly to insure the adapter set up was accurate and repeatable
    3) Used SmartWeight mode, standard on all late model GSP9700s & older ones that have been updated
    4) Reduced SmartWeight balance tolerances with a simple ccw turn of the GSPs knob
    5) Insured that all tire pressures were consistent throughout processes (we used 20psi)
    6) If tire to wheel matching is needed, best to use the "Measure Bare Rim" mode on the 9700 as the outer flange of the Spyder wheel is not suitable for an accurate measurement
    7) Used tape weights and two plane "Spoke" mode to locate outer plane weights behind wheel spokes-out of sight

The vibration sensitivity of the Spyder isn't known (many car companies publish their maximum road force variation limits) but we were able to get one down to three pounds and the other down to seven pounds and this solved my vibrations along with a good SmartWeight balance. Consequently, if you can get the roadforce variation into single digits you're likely going to also experience success.

Bill here- I'm thinking of maybe buying the "low taper " cone & wheel spacer plate so I'VE GOT WHAT'S NEEDED for future balancing!

Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds expensive buying the tools needed to balance the wheels/tires.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BALANCING FRONT WHEELS

Been having wheels balanced on machines since forever ..... I don't " ROAD FORCE BALANCE " ( machine ) .....I always thought of them as a High Speed balance machine .....ie it's spins your tire/wheel really fast and calibrates where to put the weight/s .......well I've had my Spyder fronts done at a couple of different local shops and NOBODY said they couldn't do it. One re-marked it was very similar to a Honda wheel _ No Problem_ .....Maybe this fancy machine hasn't come to Vermont yet ...... PS, my fronts are very balanced ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it depends also how accurate the machine is and the person doing the balancing..

As for the Road Force machine it will be more precise on where to put the weights and checks for run out etc.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Agree the RoadForce is smarter and does more cool stuff.

FWIW, BRP admitted in a TSB, that the oem method of balancing is a static single plane method. Very basic, and as we know from reading here, not to good.

I used my dynamic balancer and accomplished a two plane balance on the fine setting. The accuracy is within 0.1 oz and positions weights on the inner and outer flange area and accomplished proper balance long before the TSB was published.

Dynamic balance on two planes is what BRP published per the TSB.

Yes, you can RoadForce balance them. However, properly done dynamic balance works well.

I will say though that if the tire is failing, failed, or simply defective, it will balance on the balancer, but shake when ridden.

If you were closer, or want to make the ride, we can balnce you fronts in a few minutes.

Hope you get it done to a setup that makes you smile .
    Thanks for the offer ..I would need to drive a whole bunch to get to your neck of the woods..

For now I have an appointment at the CAN AM shop..Who informed me they take it over to the Honda service to balance..
    Today I went to a few shops that had the road force balancer but could not find the right size adapter for the center hole.

So we will see after I get it done a the CAN AM shop this week what happens..

Thanks for your help