Thread: New down under

Spyder Garage

Default New down under

There don't seem to be many members from New Zealand on the forum, but now there's one more.

After going for a test ride on an almost new RT Limited a few days ago, and agreeing to buy it, I will be picking it up tomorrow. I've read through the "do's and don'ts" thread in this forum, and have downloaded and read the Operator's Guide, so I should be reasonably ready to ride it the 200 km home.

I've been riding 2 and 4 wheelers on and off for about 50 years, including some downsizing of 2-wheelers in recent years. Now it's time to try something different while keeping the 2-wheelers in reserve.

Spyder Garage

Default UnZud Spyder

Welcome Artig,

I joined the Aussie (don't mention the Rugby.......PLEASE ) "chapter" a few weeks ago, coming from two wheels. I also had a 200km trip home and was a bit apprehensive, given the apparently "involuntary" side to side movement. That went away after 30 minutes or so, when I relaxed my death grip and let the Spyder do its thing, and the trip home was great, and gets better by the day. I absolutely love it. No more worries about hitting loose stuff on corners, and every time I go around one, I let out a Yippee !

Pushing with the outside foot and pulling the bars primarily with the inside arm works for me. I still find myself relapsing to counter steering from time to time, but it's gone instantaneously and happens less and less frequently. Hopefully you'll find your RT gives you the same enjoyment.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Mate,

Well there's a few of us but we're not as noisy as the Americans:-)

What bit of NZ are you from?

Thanks,

Jos

Spyder Garage

Oh and this event and the meetup site may be of interest to you if you've not found them already:

http://www.spydergt.nz/

https://www.meetup.com/Spyder-Riders-NZ/

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your purchase artig!!

There are quite a few riders in NZ, & local events like those pistonblown has referred to above; but don't forget that Spyder Ryders are always welcome over here too, it's not too far for you, just a little bit of water!!

Our Oz Spyder Muster next year will be held 31 March thru 2 April at Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills, check out the website www.spydermuster.com.au

Enjoy the ryding once you've picked up your Spyder & please, when you get a chance, post up some pics!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

& on your pending purchase! Don't forget to post pics when you get it!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

To both the spyder world and the most fun site for them....good choice.. from the members list there are 70 spyderlovers out your way and probably more that are not members. There is a spot on the home page upper left for clubs and ryde groups... you won't be alone long.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Hi Mate,

Well there's a few of us but we're not as noisy as the Americans:-)

What bit of NZ are you from?

Thanks,

Jos
    You may not be very noisy but we are glad to have you all,thanks for piping up there Artig. I have an RT Limited also and love it. I would love to ride your area some day.
    Love to see pictures of your new ride.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by artig View Post
    I will be picking it up tomorrow.
    Enjoy the ride home! Looking forward to the pictures!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I picked up the Spyder yesterday from the dealer in Auckland, rode it to Clevedon for lunch, and from there took one of the twistiest roads in the area, the coast road from Clevedon to Kaiaua, on the way home. With a strong cross wind and a shower or two for company. The thinking was that if I could survive that then I could survive almost anything.

My first BMW was a blue RT (R1100RT) 16 years ago.
    My first Can-Am Spyder is a blue RT.

Several things I have learned on the way:
    The Spyder requires different muscles for cornering than a 2-wheeler.
    Lane splitting is not recommended.
    Starting on loose gravel with too much throttle is not recommended (unless someone you intensely dislike is standing right behind).
    Avoiding potholes and roadkill with all 3 wheels requires some practice.
    Cornering smoothly requires a great deal of practice.

Photo was taken when ready to leave the cafe at Clevedon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I picked up the Spyder yesterday from the dealer in Auckland, rode it to Clevedon for lunch, and from there took one of the twistiest roads in the area, the coast road from Clevedon to Kaiaua, on the way home. With a strong cross wind and a shower or two for company. The thinking was that if I could survive that then I could survive almost anything.

My first BMW was a blue RT (R1100RT) 16 years ago.
    My first Can-Am Spyder is a blue RT.

Several things I have learned on the way:
    The Spyder requires different muscles for cornering than a 2-wheeler.
    Lane splitting is not recommended.
    Starting on loose gravel with too much throttle is not recommended (unless someone you intensely dislike is standing right behind).
    Avoiding potholes and roadkill with all 3 wheels requires some practice.
    Cornering smoothly requires a great deal of practice.

The cornering does get a bit of getting used to - more physical than a bike but it can be equally rewarding once you get it sorted. The one big advantage you do have is if you do come across any loose gravel etc. on the corner then the electronic 'nanny' will get you through safely, though as you mention the same can't be said when trying to pull away on gravel.

As for roadkill - I've hit two Possums on the Spyder and both times have come off fine. Well I have, obviously the possums haven't:-)

Spyder Garage

Nice, Artig, verrrrrry nice.
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The cornering does get a bit of getting used to - more physical than a bike but it can be equally rewarding once you get it sorted. The one big advantage you do have is if you do come across any loose gravel etc. on the corner then the electronic 'nanny' will get you through safely, though as you mention the same can't be said when trying to pull away on gravel.

As for roadkill - I've hit two Possums on the Spyder and both times have come off fine. Well I have, obviously the possums haven't:-)
    Thanks. I'm gradually learning and getting to grips with the cornering. Some more things that I've learned.

- The ground clearance is rather limited. Managed to get the left wheel into a slight depression in the seal, and heard a scraping noise from the front skirt. No serious damage.

- After switching on, you don't have to wait for the message to display before hitting the Mode/Eco button and starting the engine.

- I don't have the rider's manual yet, and couldn't find any label showing the recommended tyre pressures. So I've made a small sticky label with the numbers on it and pasted it on the warnings sheet that slides out above the instrument panel.
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I'm gradually learning and getting to grips with the cornering. Some more things that I've learned.

- The ground clearance is rather limited. Managed to get the left wheel into a slight depression in the seal, and heard a scraping noise from the front skirt. No serious damage.
    My 2014 RTS used to scrape the underside of the nose regularly on pot holes , bumps etc especially on downhill tight corners (as well as gutters tec). I picked up ablout 35-40mm of clearance by fitting the Baja Ron (Spyderlovers site sponsor) suspension adjusters. If you are in NZ see -http://www.spyderryders.net.au/image...tm?Fgallery1-3 I have not had an issue since.
    Last edited by mrb; 09-12-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

You may have found this already but you can download electronic copies of the handbooks from Can-am:

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og

The site looks like something out of the early days of the internet but it is an official Canam one:-)

PS If you get prompted for an email you can just continue without entering one.

Spyder Garage

You may have found this already but you can download electronic copies of the handbooks from Can-am:

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og

The site looks like something out of the early days of the internet but it is an official Canam one:-)

PS If you get prompted for an email you can just continue without entering one.
    Thanks. I actually downloaded and read the handbook before picking up the Spyder. And just after posting the last message I found the tyre pressures are on a label under the seat. But they do require reading glasses to read them.
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scored a scrub turkey yesterday Bang!
    A few feathers jammed into the plastic body work but nuthin to worry over