Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I too would draw the line at calling the SS a bike. It clearly is not. I call the spyder a bike as it's closer to that than anything else and I feel it embodies the spirit of a motorbike. You sit on it, rather than in it. It has handlbars, rather than a steering wheel. And so on......

The Polaris to me embodies the spirit of kit cars like the Caterham 7 or Westfield or other low volume track day oriented cars like the KTM X-Bow, Ariel Atom, Radical etc. They usually have off the shelf powertrains, suspension etc, as the Polaris has been descibed as having above.

The official designation as a bike by some states is clearly just legal adminstrative nonesense as they have no idea what to do with it. We have a vehicle class called 'tricycle' in the UK which doesn't require a helmet and can be driven on a car licence. The spyder falls into this category in the UK. Not sure what the Polaris would come under here, but defintely not a bike!!

As for looks, well beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I quite like it from the front and front 3/4 view. However, I could not live with that rear:

It looks like it was on a fairground ride and somehow came loose. Quite simply horrible. I really cannot believe they released it looking that unfinished at the rear. Sorry SS owner but it's got a hideous ass!!
    Maybe I'm looking at her wrong - but that's a damn "Good Looking" ass to me!

Last edited by IdleUp; 08-24-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    That was a very cool video.
    You certainly have a talent in making videos.
    How about a video featuring the Spyder??
    I'm waiting for Fall with some color and leaves and I'll do one on my F3-T - Thanks
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Default Nice Write Up

Great write up and photography is top notch

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

One thing that no one ever seems to mention that has driven a slingshot for any length of time is the SERIOUS heat issues in the passenger compartment. Specifically the drivers' side. My nephew and I rented one of these for a few hours and HOLY CR@P does it roast your feet and legs!

Only after extended driving at "speed" can you get it reduced to a livable point. But then when you slow down again, guess what?

Our mule had 14K on the clock and was a 2015. It sounded like it was gonna come apart at anything over 5k rpm. And running it up to where they make the most power (6200 IIRC) is a feat of daring, cuz you don't want to be responsible for what sounds like imminent implosion!

I highly recommend renting one first if at all possible, if you are seriously in the market....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi IdleUp,

Re: BRP Spyder & Polaris SlingShot / Side by Side

Great write-up. I enjoyed that. And really great photos.

IMO if the Sling were being made by BRP, these folks here could not wait to praise it.

Look at how many on here thought the F3 was butt-ugly at first.

IMO the Sling takes the F3 'snarkie' look to the next level.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have no idea on what you do for a living, but consider a job with an automotive magazine; you would be a natural fit, either as a writer, photographer, or both.
    Jerry,

Thanks for the flowers - of course when I put up my post on the Slingshot forum, I'll get the other end of the riders! Its just the nature of the beast!

Bottom line for $25K be it a car or bike, this thing is a absolute friggen blast to Drive, Open, Quick and while I'm not one for showing off, The Slingshot will stop traffic get more looks and cell phone shots that a Ferrari!

Regarding your magazine comments - I published a magazine on RC helicopters for 19 years - here's a PDF issue with a real turbine engine in a model - Enjoy!

http://www.rotory.com/free/rotorymay10.pdf
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    One thing that no one ever seems to mention that has driven a slingshot for any length of time is the SERIOUS heat issues in the passenger compartment. Specifically the drivers' side. My nephew and I rented one of these for a few hours and HOLY CR@P does it roast your feet and legs!

Only after extended driving at "speed" can you get it reduced to a livable point. But then when you slow down again, guess what?

Our mule had 14K on the clock and was a 2015. It sounded like it was gonna come apart at anything over 5k rpm. And running it up to where they make the most power (6200 IIRC) is a feat of daring, cuz you don't want to be responsible for what sounds like imminent implosion!

I highly recommend renting one first if at all possible, if you are seriously in the market....
    The heat issue is from the muffler being located in the engine compartment. But its all in the windshield selection - The LE model comes with a double bubble windshield (shown) and therefore let's air in on both side of the rider and passenger which evacuates all the heat on the compartment and has no heat issues at all.

The heat issue is only with the full windshield - however, if you look at my bike my tall full winter windshield has the adjustable wings which evacuates the heat as good as the double bubble and there is no heat issues at all. During the winter by closing the side vents it gets nice and warm without a heater. Since its an automotive engine you can easily add a coolant heater to the bike.

Also, by adding the heat / sound foil stick to the firewall reduces the heat further.

Regarding another users concerns for warranty - believe me, no matter if you drive a Spyder or Slingshot both companies suck big time in support - if you don't break down close to your selling dealer you're screwed. If you were lucky enough to find a dealer - believe me the guy is going to think you're weird because its not a Jet Ski! Also, they are not going to roll you in and fix it right now - that does not happen, so bring some extra clothes and a motel directory because you're not going anywhere for a while.

When it comes to warranty - you are in a far better position with the Slingshot, because unlike the Spyder, the drive train on the Slingshot is all "Common Chevrolet" and any general repair facility can work on it, to include Idiots! Besides, what really can break down with a common car engine and a stick transmission?

www.rotory.com

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I too would draw the line at calling the SS a bike. It clearly is not. I call the spyder a bike as it's closer to that than anything else and I feel it embodies the spirit of a motorbike. You sit on it, rather than in it. It has handlbars, rather than a steering wheel. And so on......

The Polaris to me embodies the spirit of kit cars like the Caterham 7 or Westfield or other low volume track day oriented cars like the KTM X-Bow, Ariel Atom, Radical etc. They usually have off the shelf powertrains, suspension etc, as the Polaris has been descibed as having above.

The official designation as a bike by some states is clearly just legal adminstrative nonesense as they have no idea what to do with it. We have a vehicle class called 'tricycle' in the UK which doesn't require a helmet and can be driven on a car licence. The spyder falls into this category in the UK. Not sure what the Polaris would come under here, but defintely not a bike!!

As for looks, well beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I quite like it from the front and front 3/4 view. However, I could not live with that rear:

It looks like it was on a fairground ride and somehow came loose. Quite simply horrible. I really cannot believe they released it looking that unfinished at the rear. Sorry SS owner but it's got a hideous ass!!
    Having ryden behind a SS for several miles, I had the same thought! Did they run out of money to continue the design process? Have they ever looked at the vehicle driving away? It looks cool from the front and the side, but it is in serious. End of an Ass lift!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Big time class production

Thank you for the comparison of two vehicles that you own.

If I had the room and $ I would have a Slingshot as well - test rode one - what a blast.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Default Get it right

We all need to stop calling either one of these vehicles "Bikes". They are not bikes (bi meaning two). They are, at least the Spyder is, motorcycles! In Texas I believe that the SS is an "Autocycle". All that being said, I refer to our spyders as motorcycles! They have motors and they are a tricycle, or trikes for short. For reasons mentioned by others here the SS is no more a bike/trike/motorcycle than an RC airplane is an RC/helicopter! JMHO
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thread Police.jpg

Of course: you are correct...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    We all need to stop calling either one of these vehicles "Bikes". They are not bikes (bi meaning two). They are, at least the Spyder is, motorcycles! In Texas I believe that the SS is an "Autocycle". All that being said, I refer to our spyders as motorcycles! They have motors and they are a tricycle, or trikes for short. For reasons mentioned by others here the SS is no more a bike/trike/motorcycle than an RC airplane is an RC/helicopter! JMHO
    Hey Pirate,

When I bought my first Spyder back in 08 all the "Other" motorcycle riders said the same exact thing you're saying about the Slingshot that its not a motorcycle and is a joke. In fact, when I lived in Va my club "Would Not" let me ride my Spyder on our monthly their rides, they said it was too wide and interfered with other riders. Get ready because a number of companies are coming out with forward trikes and there's going to be a lot more name calling.

Let's not forget our Harley Davidson riders - they were the toughest on Spyders but now since Harley came out with a Trike - its all OK and forgotten LOL.

Bottom line I'm going to keep call it a bike because its nothing like my Ford 150 or my old ladies car. Really who cares what they call it - both the Slingshot and the Spyder sitting on the ground are identical - there is two steering wheels and the set is pushed by a rear wheel. Both require Motorcycle endorsements, both require helmets, both are open air cabins, both allow you to get killed easier than a car! Who gives a damn what the seat looks like or if the bike has a steering wheel or handlebars - it means absolutely nothing.

Regards
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

I like the Slimg Shot and think it looks amazing! Love my Spyder as well.. But a SS is not a bike... Anything with a steering wheel, a hood and engine like a car is just that.. That being said as long as it's fun who cares! Have fun I hope to drive one.. Well test drive lol... someday soon...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron2andia,

Re: But a SS is not a bike...

Bike or motorcycle, you & the others on here saying it is not a m/c; the State of Oregon disagrees with you.

Until they change the law, any 3-wheeler is registered as a motorcycle & must obey the laws associated with them.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_rose...smell_as_sweet
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I love the look of them both and the states do vary but thanks for the Shakespeare! My biker friends and I have that discussion quite often... For the Spyder and SS but all are welcome to ride with us!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have nothing against the Slingshot. It appeals to a lot of people. But I just can't get past how they are able to call it a 'Motorcycle'.

The Slingshot has the following CAR features.

Seating Position
    Seats
    Floor
    You get in and out of it like a CAR (except no door) But you can buy a Jeep that has no doors.)
    Engine
    Transmission
    Shifter
    Clutch
    Throttle
    Dash
    Steering Wheel
    Roll Bars
    Tires
    Wheels
    Front Suspension

Granted, the Spyder shares a few Car features with the Slingshot. But seriously. What about the Slingshot is 'Motorcycle' other than a swing arm rear suspension and single tire? That makes it a motorcycle?
    You forgot gas pedal and seatbelts...

Spyder Garage

Default Depends on Where you are

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Hey Pirate,

When I bought my first Spyder back in 08 all the "Other" motorcycle riders said the same exact thing you're saying about the Slingshot that its not a motorcycle and is a joke. In fact, when I lived in Va my club "Would Not" let me ride my Spyder on our monthly their rides, they said it was too wide and interfered with other riders. Get ready because a number of companies are coming out with forward trikes and there's going to be a lot more name calling.

Let's not forget our Harley Davidson riders - they were the toughest on Spyders but now since Harley came out with a Trike - its all OK and forgotten LOL.

Bottom line I'm going to keep call it a bike because its nothing like my Ford 150 or my old ladies car. Really who cares what they call it - both the Slingshot and the Spyder sitting on the ground are identical - there is two steering wheels and the set is pushed by a rear wheel. Both require Motorcycle endorsements, both require helmets, both are open air cabins, both allow you to get killed easier than a car! Who gives a damn what the seat looks like or if the bike has a steering wheel or handlebars - it means absolutely nothing.

Regards
    in my great state(maybe) you don't need a motorcycle endorsement for either vehicle! Helmets are not required for the SS either ( let's put it this way, people don't wear them and the CHP think it's a car and won't stop them) so still more of a car than a motorcycle! I did not say it was a joke. We ryde with someone in our group who has an RSS and a SS. Great guy and he is welcome on all of our rydes. Not a joke just not, in my opinion, what I think of as a motorcycle. Really reminds me of a refined modern version of the old VW dune buggy conversions! Especially from behind!

Spyder Garage

in my great state(maybe) you don't need a motorcycle endorsement for either vehicle! Helmets are not required for the SS either ( let's put it this way, people don't wear them and the CHP think it's a car and won't stop them) so still more of a car than a motorcycle! I did not say it was a joke. We ryde with someone in our group who has an RSS and a SS. Great guy and he is welcome on all of our rydes. Not a joke just not, in my opinion, what I think of as a motorcycle. Really reminds me of a refined modern version of the old VW dune buggy conversions! Especially from behind!
    Pirate - I like what you said "so still more of a car than a motorcycle!" good way to look at it!

Regards
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Default Autocycle?

Check the daffynition! The Sypder with handlebar and over the frame seating, is clasified as a cycle. A vechicle wth side by side seats and a stearing wheel with 3 wheels is an autocycle. I checked this out on a rainy day. The Big P is a car just like the Morgan.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Check the daffynition! The Sypder with handlebar and over the frame seating, is clasified as a cycle. A vechicle wth side by side seats and a stearing wheel with 3 wheels is an autocycle. I checked this out on a rainy day. The Big P is a car just like the Morgan.
    Call it what you will like- as I said 90% of the riders even today still do not accept the Spyder as a motorcycle - who even cares, they are both motorcycles to me!
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Default Woo Hoo

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Call it what you will like- as I said 90% of the riders even today still do not accept the Spyder as a motorcycle - who even cares, they are both motorcycles to me!
    Idle,

Now your talking, "motorcycle" not a bike! Neither is the Spyder a "bike"!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I honestly couldn't care less what somebody else calls my Spyder: I just call it "Fun"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: I just call it "Fun"!

I'm with you on this.

I bought my Spyder just to have some 'fun.'

I cannot justify what I paid for it as being a form of transportation; the mileage is terrible for that thought.

I cannot justify what I spend on goodies for it; they are truly not necessary.

However, it allows me to get out in the air and enjoy the days that are sunny & nice ( yes, I do envy you folks in the sun belt ).

That is worth what I spend on it,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default 3 wheels

If I had wanted a 3 wheeled car I would have bought a Morgan - something with class. Face it Clutch pedal on the left of the brake pedal, gas pedal to the right of the brake pedal and shifter just like a car - it is a car.

Spyder Garage

Idle,

Now your talking, "motorcycle" not a bike! Neither is the Spyder a "bike"!
    Amen, the first thing I tell folks, the Sypder is not a motorcycle. The things like a motorcycle are, wind in the face, you get wet, and you can fall off.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!