Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Spyder & Polaris SlingShot / Side by Side - Mike Mas

BRP Spyder & Polaris SlingShot / Side by Side - Mike Mas

Hello Forum Members - It’s common knowledge the two biggest names in 3-Wheel bikes are; BRP Spyder and Polaris Slingshot. While there are definite differences between machines and owners, there is also a lot of similarities. Since I own both machines, I felt it would make an interesting thread to show the bikes visually side by side, not so much to compare features and looks, but just general information to show that each machine has its own unique features and followers.

I’ve Ridden Spyder’s - since their inception early in 2008 when I went to a dealer in Richmond Va and talked the owner into selling me his one demo bike. Years later, when BRP released the first RT models, I ran down to the dealer and fell in love with a big blue RTS which I rode up until a year ago when I bought my Slingshot. Anticipating the release of the Slingshot was just as exciting as it was waiting for my first Spyder. I was fortunate to find a special LE model Slingshot in Savanah Ga. The LE is a very limited edition which Polaris only built one or two for each of their dedicated Spyder dealers owners. The LE model offered special features and paint to commemorate the release of the line from Polaris. I’ve now ridden my Slingshot for over a year now and have really enjoyed using it for local jots and even some long distance hauls. The bike is very comfortable, fun to ride and even has some storage behind each seat for trips. Best of all she gets good milage and plenty of looks.

All the time while driving the Slingshot I kept my eye on the Spyder forums, when I heard here was going to be a new “F3-T” model which is a mix of half sport and half touring bike, it re-peaked my interest and I started following the machine.

When I finally decided to pull the Spyder Trigger - I ended up with a auto-shift F3-T. In the short period I’ve owned her, I’m totally impressed with bike. The styling is super, the new grille and chrome inlets and the bags that don’t really look like bags are beautiful. For the first time ever, I can own a touring bike that doesn't look like one. So far, I’ve added the full windshield, floorboards and the passenger backrest for additional safety.
    I like the F3-T’s lower seat and the leg room posture, at 6’2” I was always a bit cramped on my RTS even with pegs. I also like the open engine look and having the big fuel tank in front of me makes me feel like I’m riding two wheels again. The F3-T is a good combination of a every day bike, yet something you can head out on a trip and take a few things with you.

A Few Improvements - While I’m not trying to distract from the all the good stuff - I feel the F3-T has a bit of excessive roll moment in turns. BRP also needs to include an “Idler pulley” to help prevent belt vibrations at different rpm and speeds. (I should have an after-market pulley installed in a few weeks). Another complaint is the excessive rattling noise from the engine, coming from owning a Honda Rune and a few totally silent 6 cyl. Goldwings, the noise bothers me. I sort of cured the noise problem by getting rid of my Nazi helmet with open ears and went to my full face helmet which muffles the noise to an acceptable level.

The SE-6 Tranny - Regretfully, the new SE-6 auto-shift tranny still needs some improvement to get rid of the “Klunky” downshifting. It appears the Rotax clutch needs a higher pressure pump to more quickly de-activate when shifting. This problem is evident during downshifts when you can feel the bike momentarily “speed up” which tells us the clutch cannot disengage fast enough to keep up with the electronic throttle and shifter to properly sync to the lower gear. With regard to “up-shifting”, the SE6 is on the money since there is numerous opportunities for the rider to shift at different throttle settings and speeds making it as smooth and quiet as a standard shift.

Getting back to the Overview - I’m not going to provide any real technical details, but rather just a “show and tell” with some images. What I like about BRP and Polaris is that each manufacture set off and designed their own bikes from the ground up using their own design.
    While both bikes are classified “Auto-cycles” Polaris had major problems on their release since the DMV did not have a classification for the Slingshot. The reason being, the law states a motorcycle must have a “Saddle Seat” like the Spyder, so many states could not sell the bikes for months until they re-classified them.

Slingshot Stance - One thing for sure, when you walk up to the Slingshot its a big bike, it’s stands a full 7 inches wider than the new C7 Corvette, so she likes to corner. Unlike the Spyder at under 1000 lbs, the Slings a heavyweight at around 1800 lbs, She is also around 12 feet in length. Rather then the fore and aft “saddle” seating like the Spyder, the Slingshot is a “side by side” bike. If you ride two up, its great because you can now easily turn and talk to your partner without the need of a headset.

Design - One feature that is drastically different when you compare the Spyder to the Slingshot is the Slingshot riders are only around 6 inches off the road, so when you go around tight corner, you have little sensation of the bike trying to throw you off since you’re sitting on a bucket seat on the deck. BRP is moving in this same direction with the new F3 design where the rider is now positioned lower for less side G’s.

PowerTrain - Another difference between bikes is their power trains - as you guys know, BRP is fortunate to have their own dependable and powerful Rotax engine line. The new bikes are now 3 cylinders which provides additional torque at lower rpm’s to provide good power thanks to the new 6 speed tranny.

SlingShot Engine - On the Slingshot, Polaris decided that rather than use their existing engine line, they would power the Sling with an automotive engine, so they choose an inline 4 cylinder Eco-Tech GM engine which was used in a number vehicles but primarily designed for the Pontiac Solstice. The engine is dead quiet and very dependable and the price of parts, upgrades, and performance stuff is a fraction when compared to the cost of motorcycle parts.

How Quick - The Slingshot is not that quick by motorcycle standards, but the stock 170 hp engine will push it 0-60 at right a around 5-6 seconds which is comparable to the F3 Spyder. If this is not enough power for a Sling owner, he can add an in-expensive commonly found turbo upgrade ($500 and Up) which up’s the Slingshot to 275-300 h.p. or more. I was reading up where they use this same engine in a highly modified version and pull 500-750 hp from this little inline four. Anyhow, the turbo upgrade gets the Sling 0-60 to around the 4+ sec range. Of course the limiting factor is the single tire, where the turbo really works best is for passing power when the tire is firmly on the ground and you poke it. The Slingshots GM power plant is matched up to a Mazda 5 speed manual transmission which is shaft driven to a 90 degree (noisy) helical gearbox built by Polaris.

Comparable Price - All In all, which ever you choose, they are both about the same money, you can buy a new Slingshot for $20K or a fully decked out model with upgraded wheels, bluetooth radio, backup camera, cruise and custom painted colors for $25,000. I paid just about $25K for my new F3-T with a radio option.

Rider Safety - The one important advantage of the Slingshot over the Spyder is safety, unlike the Spyder where your sitting on a saddle and can be ejected or hit by another vehicle or fixed object, with the Slingshot your in a surrounding steel cage with a roll bar, seat belts and a helmet. Most important, you have a engine block in front of you In the event of a collision giving you a much better chance of survival. As we all know to well - these days with texting cell phones and cars coming in your lane riding a motorcycle riding has become more dangerous - so be carful out there!

In conclusion - I’m really enjoying both bikes and have no immediate plans to sell my Slingshot. There’s no doubt the Spyder feels more like a motor cycle than the Slingshot, but with the cab completely exposed, no windows and the tone of a motorcycle exhaust in he Slingshot you still get the rush. If maybe someone is thinking of a second machine this might make a good choice. If by some chance one of you guys do decide to get a Slingshot, get ready for the goofy questions, and all the cell phone shots as they swerve in traffic!

Here's a video I put together on the Slingshot with some drone aerials.

https://youtu.be/aHbQ9ibG_E8

Enjoy - Mike Mas

www.rotory.com

Last edited by IdleUp; 08-23-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

I must say very nice break down I got my first can am few months ago I love it and sling Shot I'm up in the air with about getting it

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Yup, those shots just confirm it once again! It doesn't matter what way you look at it, the Slingshot is still butt-ugly!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info and perspective. I recently sold my spyder RSS and was considering a slingshot. I haven't driven one yet, but after visiting a dealer and sitting in one I could already tell it wasn't going to win me over because I felt confined sitting in it. I have decided to go with a 2017 spyder f3 Daytona edition. I'm just waiting for my local dealer to get them in stock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yup, those shots just confirm it once again! It doesn't matter what way you look at it, the Slingshot is still butt-ugly!!

Sounds like you have a case of severe Jealously dude! That thing is drop dead beautiful and you know it!

www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

I truly truly am sorry for you!

Spyder Garage

I truly truly am sorry for you!
    Here you go Peter - here's a little video to rest your mind before you go to sleep tonight lol

www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

I would also agree that this is ugly.

Spyder Garage

But also people have told me my Spyder is ugly.
    That's why some people like fat chicks and some don't.
    Everyone has there own liking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Here you go Peter - here's a little video to rest your mind before you go to sleep tonight lol

That was a very cool video.
    You certainly have a talent in making videos.
    How about a video featuring the Spyder??

Spyder Garage

Default Beautiful..... ?

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Sounds like you have a case of severe Jealously dude! That thing is drop dead beautiful and you know it!

Sorry, can't agree with you. But then, as we say, there has to be something for every different taste on this face of the earth... !!!

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

I think you put together a pretty good piece. I don't agree with everything--but then--I'm just me.

The klunky shifting is usually directly related to rpms at shift actuation. Try 3000 - 3500 on your F3 and see if you like it better. The downshift on its own is fine for me 99% of the time.

On here, you are going to find Slingshot lovers and not so. Both are vocal. Me--I LIKE the Slingshot, but alas, there are no dealers here. So, I can't test drive or make a purchase. That orange/black--so far--is my favorite color version. Been following these since day one. When I tried to convince people they had a new color (orange/black), I ran into opposition and unbelief? The photos came through as more red looking in the early days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi IdleUp,

Re: BRP Spyder & Polaris SlingShot / Side by Side

Great write-up. I enjoyed that. And really great photos.

IMO if the Sling were being made by BRP, these folks here could not wait to praise it.

Look at how many on here thought the F3 was butt-ugly at first.

IMO the Sling takes the F3 'snarkie' look to the next level.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have no idea on what you do for a living, but consider a job with an automotive magazine; you would be a natural fit, either as a writer, photographer, or both.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nicely Done

Great comparison. I three wheeled motorcycle and a three car. i think the slingshot is OK. A bit uncomfortable to sit in, and I have not driven one yet. But it's not a motorcycle based on all the features you described. Glad you enjoy it though! Nice photos too!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I have nothing against the Slingshot. It appeals to a lot of people. But I just can't get past how they are able to call it a 'Motorcycle'.

The Slingshot has the following CAR features.

Seating Position
    Seats
    Floor
    You get in and out of it like a CAR (except no door) But you can buy a Jeep that has no doors.)
    Engine
    Transmission
    Shifter
    Clutch
    Throttle
    Dash
    Steering Wheel
    Roll Bars
    Tires
    Wheels
    Front Suspension

Granted, the Spyder shares a few Car features with the Slingshot. But seriously. What about the Slingshot is 'Motorcycle' other than a swing arm rear suspension and single tire? That makes it a motorcycle?
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-24-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Nice write up.
    Other than counting the wheels and coming up with the same number I don't see much to be able to compare the two.
    It's a bit like comparing a Jeep and a Porsche because the wheel count is the same.
    The Porsche is crap at off roading while the Jeep rolls on turns.

While I appreciate the effort I don't think a comparison study is valid.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Very well written write up. I absolutely love the colour of your slingshot! I saw my first one near Cambridge, Ontario a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked fantastic.

Spyder Garage

I sat in a Slingshot in Savannah, would love to test drive one. No doubt it's cool and if I had the bucks for another toy I'd buy one in a New York minute. But no matter how you slice it..... it's a three wheel car without the storage space of my RTL for touring.
    Pat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have nothing against the Slingshot. It appeals to a lot of people. But I just can't get past how they are able to call it a 'Motorcycle'.
    Agree with that sentiment. Morgan 3-wheelers are treated as automobiles, after all....and they've been around for AGES!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Roger: The Slingshot is a nice... car, but there's no fair way to compare the vehicles.
    Nice pictures, and nice write-up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing that has not been brought up is vehicle support. While I enjoy my '14 RTL, the thing about the Slingshot that got my attention was if you had an issue out on the road, you may be closer to help. It has a car engine (GM), car tranny (GM), a more car-like front suspension among other things. If it breaks out in the middle of Nowhere USA, one may not have such a lonely feeling. Otherwise, both are fun vehicles in their own way. If I had room and the Slingshot was smaller, I would consider one to go along with the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I agree with Roger: The Slingshot is a nice... car, but there's no fair way to compare the vehicles.

You're right Bob as I mentioned in the closing the Sling does not offer the same rush as a bike which was the reason I went looking for another Spyder.

Regards
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    One thing that has not been brought up is vehicle support. While I enjoy my '14 RTL, the thing about the Slingshot that got my attention was if you had an issue out on the road, you may be closer to help. It has a car engine (GM), car tranny (GM), a more car-like front suspension among other things. If it breaks out in the middle of Nowhere USA, one may not have such a lonely feeling. Otherwise, both are fun vehicles in their own way. If I had room and the Slingshot was smaller, I would consider one to go along with the Spyder.

Yeah, just keep thinking that right up to the point you take it to a chevy dealer and ask for help....

There is actually far more assistance available for Spyder owners than SS. And that still is not all that much.

I appreciated the write up but please quit calling the SS a bike. Its a go cart with 3 wheels. Its NOT a bike. Does not look like a bike, does not ride like a bike, does not handle or control like a bike. They are a fun little go cart but not even close to being fast compared to sports cars.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    + 1

Spyder Garage

I too would draw the line at calling the SS a bike. It clearly is not. I call the spyder a bike as it's closer to that than anything else and I feel it embodies the spirit of a motorbike. You sit on it, rather than in it. It has handlbars, rather than a steering wheel. And so on......

The Polaris to me embodies the spirit of kit cars like the Caterham 7 or Westfield or other low volume track day oriented cars like the KTM X-Bow, Ariel Atom, Radical etc. They usually have off the shelf powertrains, suspension etc, as the Polaris has been descibed as having above.

The official designation as a bike by some states is clearly just legal adminstrative nonesense as they have no idea what to do with it. We have a vehicle class called 'tricycle' in the UK which doesn't require a helmet and can be driven on a car licence. The spyder falls into this category in the UK. Not sure what the Polaris would come under here, but defintely not a bike!!

As for looks, well beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I quite like it from the front and front 3/4 view. However, I could not live with that rear:

lead2-2015-polaris-slingshot-fr.jpg

It looks like it was on a fairground ride and somehow came loose. Quite simply horrible. I really cannot believe they released it looking that unfinished at the rear. Sorry SS owner but it's got a hideous ass!!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |