Spyder Garage

Default Seat latch "stuck"

Having a problem with the set latch not releasing (does not seem stuck or bound, just doesn't seem to actuate the release)
    pushing in the key it turns freely so it's not stuck
    and depressing the seat to relieve tension on the latch release hasn't has positive results.
    before I start yanking plastics off to look for the pull cord (it happened late and with work haven't had time after work to mess with it in a dark parking lot)
    a) any other suggestions to try?
    b) is the latch mechanism easily accessible from the right hand side with the Tupperware removed?
    c) any other tricks for getting at the latch?

thanks team

aaaaaaaaaaaaanf GO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My seat gets stuck from time to time. I turn the key and it doesn't want to turn, I suspect there's something binding at the top end of the cable, since I can wiggle the cable and sometimes the key then turns and unlocks the seat latch.

Other times I reach down past the right hand flexible plastic shroud (between the instrument panel and the handlebar), and feel for the cable, and yanking on the cable will release the seat latch. I've attached a zip tied pull cord down there as my "backup" seat release for when the key gets stuck.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

You can't really get to the latch easily via the panels as there's a black panel covering it which can only be removed when the seat's raised - Catch 22.

As asp125 mentioned you can get to the cable at the handlebar end. However if you remove the right hand panel that has Can-Am written on it you can also get to the cable there as well - you may even be able to thread through a bit of stiff wire with a small hook at the end to give the latch a bit more of a pull.

You could try spraying some CRC 5.56 (I think you call it WD-40 in the US) under the right hand front side of the seat (or along by the cable mentioned above) to try a lubricate the catch a bit.

It would also be worth trying to push back on the seat while trying to unlatch it i.e. pushing the seat towards the back of the Spyder, there is not really much play but you may be able to do it enough for the latch to free up.

If you do get the seat up check the latch mechanism is moving freely but also the position of it and the 'pin' that's attached to the seat. You can move the position of the latch or the pin a bit (can't remember which) so it unlatches easier.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a good photo link somewhere on this forum that shows how to adjust the seat/frunk pin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

This happened to me awhile ago, and I did a search here to look for help. I found an old thread called "What if seat doesn't release to open and fuel" that had a bunch of information, including how to rig a bent coat hanger or other wire to get at the latch easily, which I now have in my trunk.
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While holding the key "down & turned", have somebody try jiggling the seat around a bit. (fore & aft, and left to right...)
    You might have enough movement in the setup, to allow the latch to release it's grip.
    (Then: look up the adjustment instructions!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last resort is take her to the dealer and have them figure it out. I'm sure they'll help you out without charge, just imagine how much $$$$$$$$ we spent to our spyders.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Took my seat lock off all you have to do is take the post off the seat problem solved.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUT THIS IS BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by whitjim10 View Post
    Took my seat lock off all you have to do is take the post off the seat problem solved.
    ..You really should leave the post on......... just wire the latch open ..... then the seat won't jiggle around ....Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default seat latch

I couldn't get my seat open with the key. It would not turn to release seat. It was like the cable was rusted together. Took a screw driver and had my wife pull back on the front of the seat and took a long flat screw driver and pushed the latch back to unlock the seat. Now I have a plastic tie wrap around the latch to keep it unlocked all the time. Didn't take the pin off the seat. Like it a lot better now since I don't have to turn the bike off to fuel anymore. Just put it in neutral, put the brake on and get off and get gas. No need to restart the bike and go thru the stupid card check and reset all the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it wise to fuel a running machine ?

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Is it wise to fuel a running machine ?

Diesel is OK but not gasoline. All it takes is one spark when the conditions are right.........or wrong, depending on your viewpoint. Doesn't happen all the time and you may get away with it for quite a while. Until the conditions are right.

If you do it when I'm there, I'll say something to you. I'm not bashful! Just remember, if something goes bad, you won't be the only one hurt by it.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you put diesel fuel in your Spyder: you won't shouldn't have any problems with fires...

...Other than getting the darn stuff to burn in the combustion chamber!!

Seriously: NEVER try to put fuel into a vehicle that is running!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trucker1 View Post
    I couldn't get my seat open with the key. It would not turn to release seat. It was like the cable was rusted together. Took a screw driver and had my wife pull back on the front of the seat and took a long flat screw driver and pushed the latch back to unlock the seat. . . .
    I had the same problem on a road trip - I discovered I could lift the front right edge of the seat, just enough to be able to release the latch with the tip of a screwdriver. My dealer replaced the cable, under warranty, when I got back from that trip. I carry a small toolbox not much bigger than a paperback book, in my trunk, just for such issues.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)