Spyder Garage

Default Shopping for an RS or F3?

Hi everyone! First, I'd like to say thanks for all the great information on these forums! I'm in the process of shopping for a Spyder and while I try to unload some 2 wheelers, I'm trying to get an idea of what I want to aim for. I've read the recent threads regarding BRP ending the RS line and some of the pros/cons of the F3 line up. I test drove a '14 RS at a local dealer...it was fun but I'm not sure how long trips would feel on it. I sat on an F3 and a smile came out immediately. I have ridden cruisers, crotch rockets and V-Stroms and I'm leaning towards something that is easy to get on/off and comfy.

What I'm wrestling with as a solo rider....a 2016 RS-S SM5 or 2015 FE3 SM-6? They are both in the same price range that I see online (maybe $1000 more for the FE3), except BRP is offering .9% financing on select 2016 models - not sure if the RS models are included. Yep...gotta finance this one! Does it basically come down to riding preference? I know that may be a silly question, but should I be concerned with BRP ending the RS line?

Thanks for any input or advice you can provide!

Spyder Garage

Default F3

F3 ALL THE WAY....................
    i put 50L+ miles on my RS and it was great... then the F3 came to market, and i got the 1st one in So. Carolina, and since have put almost 27,000 miles on her since Feb. 2015... NO COMPARISON between the two... the F3 HANDS-DOWN is so superior to the others it's hard to explain...
    but, whatever you decide to buy, i'm certain you will enjoy it like a 10 year old with a new train set... or 'tablet'...
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

The RS is a great sporty trike and I had to decide the same thing between a 2015 RS-S or a F3-S SM6 that was a factory demonstrator. Due to my aging and desire to have longer maintenance intervals and a torquier engine, I went with the F3-S and have been absolutely loving it! It is my new "sport trike" and brings lots of smiles. Is it perfect, heck no. Is it fun, heck yes!

Spyder Garage

I had 35,000 Miles on my 09 GS/RS and the 2015F3 sm6 Blows it away!!! Instead of feeling like I'm about to be tossed in a hard corner with the GS
    the F3 just feels secure on harder corners !!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Don't forget about the ST, that's more upright seating than the RS and your legs are under you rather than out front like the F3. Yes it's discontinued also but it's an option.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I would not purchase an RS or an ST with any kind of financing unless they give you a really really good deal. Discontinued from the get go equals a lot of depreciation hit (more so than a current model) when you drive it off the lot. If you are financing and not planning on keeping it for the full term, you are probably going to take a big hit when you try to resell. You may also be upside down on the financing (owe the bank more than it is worth).

Go with the F3 IMO. Upside: you said you like that one better.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We like our RS after adding a comfort seat and madstad shield.
    I didn't care for the RT all that much but if we were travelling alot guess it would be more comfortable.
    Rode a F3t at bike week. It was comfortable and smooth. Wife didn't like the passenger seat position.

Go to the Aimexpo in Orlando and test ride a few. It is in October.

Spyder Garage

F3 is also my recommendation!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhhh....

It's all in the test ryde. I am a die hard RS fan and will ryde 800 miles at a time without a problem. I have only added a flip to the windsheild and a comfort seat and some suspension work.....but you seem to already know what you want...that smile says it all and it is true the RS, RSS and the ST are no longer in the lineup so go with the smile...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Since the 2017s are out, be sure to ask your dealer about leftover models. Consider buying locally for service reasons. Also, I am happy with the stock seat on my 2015 F3 SE6. I was always a Mustang seat kinda guy on my motorcycles. See ya on the road!
    Last edited by deer30084; 08-22-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's your money, so we shouldn't tell you what to do...

But what I'd do: buy the F-3!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm going to pursue an F3....now I just need to get rid of two bikes to get it. BRP called me today to let me know of their Yellow Tag Clearance sale and she said the .9% financing should work on the 2015s also. Gonna go by the dealer one day this week to chat more about details. Appreciate ya all!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're gonna need to the some pictures of her sitting on it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black