Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default are we going to do the right thing??

My wife and I are going, this coming Friday, to trade our 2012 RT-S in on a 2015 F3-S. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this. I have read everything I can find about the F3 and, I find very little bad things on it. We originally got the RT for her. She got a license and everything she needed to drive it . We have owned it since this past Oct. and she has only driven it a handful of times. We sat down and talked about this; I will trade my 2003 Yamaha FJR 1300 in with her Spyder for a F3 Spyder. That way we, have the Spyder because of the safety and the comfort of the ride for her. I also told her that I want the F3 because, I am getting rid of my FJR, which is my baby. I love the speed and power it has, it's a monster! Do you think she, and I, will be satisfied with the F3S Spyder?
    this is a picture of her 2012 RT-S

this is a picture of my 2003 FJR 1300

both traded in on this, we hope.

Spyder Garage

Default 2 UP

IF YOU RIDE 2 UP, YOU'D BEST THINK REALLY HARD ABOUT GETTING THE F3......
    i have the F3-S, and i absolutely love it... however, i DO NOT ride 2 UP.... i can't imagine the F3 to be very comfortable for 2 on rides over a 100 miles or so... the RT's are built especially for 2 people riding long distances...
    whatever your decision, we all wish you the very best...
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I ride 2 up on mine and love it but it really depends on how it feels to you 2.. The bike is awesome...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As nice as the F3 is, I doubt that it will replace the FJR for you. I rode a BMW K1600 GTL before physical limitations forced me to go to three wheels. I love my RTL Spyder and have had some great trips both alone and 2-up, but if i could still ride the Beemer, I'd have it back in a heartbeat (of course I wouldn't mind keeping the Spyder too).

Also, from what I'm seeing in your pictures, you might want to think twice about getting something that isn't BLUE.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We can't tell you what you should do: it's your money, and your call!
    But if you're planning on riding two-up a lot: an RT would (might) be the better choice...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We can't tell you what you should do: it's your money, and your call!
    But if you're planning on riding two-up a lot: an RT would (might) be the better choice...

Have you test-ridden the F3? Two-up? You really should do so - and for a good long test ride - before you pull the trigger.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I'm not on mine, I ride on the back of husbands 15 f3s and it is great!

2 things though

1 make sure the dealer installs the brp "two up shock" for the rear. Note this is not the expensive fox option. There is a thread here with part nos. essential.

2 it's lousy for the passenger unless you add a backrest. Husband has the smoothspyder one for him when solo and me or grandson when we are on board.

Enjoy.

Ps lots of luggage options, including shad bags now offered by brp

pps if budget allows, consider the f3t with panniers and air adjustable rear shock. .??
    Last edited by loisk; 08-20-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

If the plan is to ride mostly 2 up, keep the RT you have now.
    Then you can either get rid of the other bikes or keep them as your budget allows.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Depends on you

I went from 110k miles of satisfied RT miles to my F3 end of April. Have 12k on my Red Stallion but 98% of my ryding is solo. When 2 up they are short distances. My passengers have been young teens/adults with no physical limitations. With smaller storage and 2 up a trailer would seem a must have. I absolutely luv my F3 and would not go back to an RT. For you a personal decision based on you and your brides needs/wants. Enjoy the process and the RYDe
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

She likes to do the group rides on the weekends. I think a lot of my riding would be just me, most of the time. We didn't sit on or test drive one yet. I will take all of your comments with me when we do. She also hates to put on a helmet! She says it messes up her hair. I was in an accident almost 6 years ago. I will wear a helmet, no matter what. Maybe that and, she always say it's to hot to ride is the reason she only rides on the weekends.
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 08-20-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get her a shirt like this one!
    It explains everything!

MjVFRTk1MTAwNzAyQjAxRjMzMTQ6OGM2MzVmYWM3ZmI3NWQyNzc0NjcwOThjNjU1NzQzNTk6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

It's all in the test ryde....you both need to take a ryde on it and see how it works for both. You should also test drive the 1330 (2014 or newer) RT. You may find that with the new triple and 6 speed trans you are better off. You both need to be happy with your ryde or you will be ryding alone....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Its your money

Don't sell your bike.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I feel your pain

I purchased a 2015 RT last Oct. Physical considerations also forced me to part ways with my 2007 FJR. I sold the FJR about a month ago. I was sad to see the FJR going down the road on the back of someone else's pickup. However the RT provides a stable, confident platform. I have no regrets.

Spyder Garage

As a former FJR owner, I think you will enjoy the power of the F3S. I've owned several bikes (including a Spyder GS) and the FJR was the only thing faster! You would have to add luggage to be happy probably. I only ride solo which is basically what the F3S is intended for I think so YMMV.
    To God Be The Glory!

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought here.

Why not upgrade so-to-speak to an F3T? The rear suspension is already there for two-up riding plus you get the fairing/windshield and a pair of small integrated saddlebags. I've seen a 2016 SM6 with radio listed for $21,599 and a 2015 Red Limited for $22,999.

Spyder Garage

I understand what you all are saying. That the F3 is mostly for one person riding. Would she be comfortable on the weekend rides she likes? Would she be able to do the Rolling Thunder ride with me on the F3? I would use it mostly as a daily driver back and forth to work.

Spyder Garage

Default RT verse F3

We just purchased a 2016 RTS. We do mostly 2 up riding came from a GL1800. Plus we both owned and drove our own bikes. We both test drove the F3 one up only , we loved the F3, I planned on buying an F3. Then came the 2up test ride.
    We are senior types with normal aches and pains. Less than 2 minutes behind me on the F3 and wife said NOOOOOOO
    go. It just was not comfortable for her. The RT is made for 2 up and has most of the goodies already installed. Plus according to current F3 riders it needs lots of extras to make it into a touring model. The new F3 T has bags and shocks
    with other improvements but the cost is comparable to a RT. Ride both the way you normally ride 2up and make your decision. We love the RTS for 2up riding. But as soon as we can afford it we will have a F3 for the wife to ride her own.
    She hates sitting behind me. Come on entry level 1300.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I understand what you all are saying. That the F3 is mostly for one person riding. Would she be comfortable on the weekend rides she likes? Would she be able to do the Rolling Thunder ride with me on the F3? I would use it mostly as a daily driver back and forth to work.
    Yours is a case of perhaps having to buy a bit more bike than you might normally need, in order to keep your Wife happy when you DO need that much bike...

It's kind of like dressing to stay warm in cold weather: too much coat is usually easier to swallow, than not enough!

Spyder Garage

Default RT OR F3

I
    My wife and I are going, this coming Friday, to trade our 2012 RT-S in on a 2015 F3-S. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this. I have read everything I can find about the F3 and, I find very little bad things on it. We originally got the RT for her. She got a license and everything she needed to drive it . We have owned it since this past Oct. and she has only driven it a handful of times. We sat down and talked about this; I will trade my 2003 Yamaha FJR 1300 in with her Spyder for a F3 Spyder. That way we, have the Spyder because of the safety and the comfort of the ride for her. I also told her that I want the F3 because, I am getting rid of my FJR, which is my baby. I love the speed and power it has, it's a monster! Do you think she, and I, will be satisfied with the F3S Spyder?
    this is a picture of her 2012 RT-S

this is a picture of my 2003 FJR 1300

both traded in on this, we hope.
    I've had both, loved both. BUT would definitely go RT if many trips with two people!

Ron

Spyder Garage

You really need to do a thorough two up test drive. There is a difference as to the ride quality from the RT to the F3. We also here about mostly second class passenger accommodations and ride comfort levels.

I only ride one up these days, love the looks of the F3T and F3L, but the ergos did not feel right for me. I decided to pass and will stick with my 2014 and 2011 RT's. Prefer the 2014 because I love the new 1330 triple.

Its your choice, its your money. Get the one you want the most that suits your style and comfort level, and then enjoy the ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I put 100K on your FJR'S sister, an '04 ST1300. I agree with the comments above, I recommend a RT-S. With the 1330 Rotax, you'll find it much more powerful than the 2012 that had the 990. But, realize the Can-Am weighs nearly twice what the FJR does, so the power to weight ratio is off. But, the comfort and safety factor is much higher on the Can-Am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everyone else has commented about the differences of the RT and the F3's, so I will not add to that.
    What I will add to is the difference between the 2012RT and a 2015RT. I had the 2012 and traded for the 2015. My wife rode with me every now and then on the 2012RT. I was looking at getting an F3 but my wife took one look at the passenger seat and said no F in way. When I traded up to the 2015RT, she wasn't sure that we needed to upgrade. I told her about some of the improvements, bigger motor, better MPG, blah blah blah. What she was not expecting was a better handling machine, even without the BajaRon swaybar. The 2015RT is much more comfortable for her, even on day long rides. Now she is the one suggesting we go for a ride. Even if you don't go for the F3, you may want to consider upgrading to the newer RT's with the 1330 motor. We haven't regretted it.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Exclamation +1

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Don't sell your bike.
    I bought a RT-s for touring with my wife ( vertigo has taken her off my motorcycles). We enjoy it alot---BUT It will be a truly sad day when I give up riding either of my motorcycles. They are paid for and insurance is cheap. I'm still to young at heart to give up the rush of V-boost( a V-Max trick that acts like a kick of nitrous oxide injection) Or the solid, big torque of the modded Valkyire.

But whatever Spyder you heart desires but KEEP YOUR BIKE.

Mourning the loss of your FJR will cause::::::
    Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 08-24-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: SPEELING
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Get her a shirt like this one!
    It explains everything!

MjVFRTk1MTAwNzAyQjAxRjMzMTQ6OGM2MzVmYWM3ZmI3NWQyNzc0NjcwOThjNjU1NzQzNTk6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

do they have one for the rt ? irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]