Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rain gear

Spyder Garage

Default rain gear

This is a general, generic question. Do I not have the right to have the expectation that when you put your rain gear on prior to getting wet in a downpour that you should stay dry while riding??????

I have just purchased new, never before used motorcycle rain gear from Frogg Toggs. Rode home yesterday from a trip for Mi. Spyderlovers get together in two hours of rain, some very heavy and when I arrived @ home the only thing that was dry were my gloves from the Aero Stich 3 fingered glove covers that I use.

I had a previous pair of frog toggs that weren't motorcycle specific, that worked well for the first 9 months that I had them but then became exceedingly porous and I was soaked in under an hour of use. Frogg Toggs said that it was because they weren't motorcycle specific that caused them to fail in under 12 months.

Forgive my unrealistic expectations but is there ANYTHING out there short of a cage that you can be dry on arrival at your destination when you ride in the rain???

Do the one piece first gear suits keep you dry. Does the $1000 + Aerostich riding gear keep you dry(chime in here Joe Meyer please).

I enjoy riding; I DO NOT enjoy being wet in less than two hours exposure. I don't see how anyone could ride in the rain in temperatures much below 50 degrees ambient and be wet AND maintain their core temperature to be a safe driver.

So please let me hear your HONEST answers of how to solve this problem that we ALL face when we ride other than in fair weather. Thanking you all in advance for your cumulative wisdom!

Al in Kazoo

The ones I'd particularly like to hear from are the high milage travelers like Murph Brown , Ann and Joe Meyer and Doc from Florida. Any others I'm neglecting feel free to add your thoughts and recommendations. Currently the HD gear seems to lead the pact.
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 08-21-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: forgot to ask for the high milers opinions specifically
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't need to spend 1K on rain gear..I been using my Harley Rain gear for Years and still keeps me dry. In fact I just wore them a few weeks ago and kept me dry.

Does look kind of funny with me wearing the Harley Gear and riding a Spyder now..

Spyder Garage

Default Rain gear

I too have used my old harley rain suit. It is nearly 8 years old and works well most of the time. I was caught in a very heavy downpour and no way to exit the Interstate quickly or safely. It did get my top soaked as the hood wouldn't got over my full helmet. Part of the wet shirt soaked into my pants but not much. I have never tried the aerostich one piece not sure if even it would keep you 100% dry. For that kind of money it should massage you while you ride.

I have to say that the rain suit has been through many uses and is holding up well and while not cheap (275 I think) it has served me well. As noted above it may look funny but it serves its purpose.

Ranman42

Spyder Garage

My wife and I bought Frogg Toggs 3 years ago and we spray scotchgard on them. We stay dry in pouring rains. We will check out the gloves you are talking about. Our hands get soaked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default SCOTHGARD

Quote Originally Posted by derrill View Post
    My wife and I bought Frogg Toggs 3 years ago and we spray scotchgard on them. We stay dry in pouring rains. We will check out the gloves you are talking about. Our hands get soaked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    when sprayed with SCOTHGARD, do your FROG TOGGS still breath well...?
    as for rain gear keeping you dry; i have a CYCLE GEAR suit, and it keeps the rain out very well, but since it doesn't breath, i sweat like crazy with this suit on...
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    when sprayed with SCOTHGARD, do your FROG TOGGS still breath well...?
    as for rain gear keeping you dry; i have a CYCLE GEAR suit, and it keeps the rain out very well, but since it doesn't breath, i sweat like crazy with this suit on...
    SPYD3R

Must be a bitch to get off when you are all wet and sweaty..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've also got gear from HD and use it riding the Spyder. I always stay dry with it. You can get some HD stuff that doesn't have big words etc on them , just small stuff. Mine came with my HD when I had it and it doesn't bother me to wear it because I know I'll be dry.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to ask this question:
    Why were you wet?
    Before getting too mad at me , is it because the gear was simply leaking, did you have it closed up completely, or was it a case of sweating inside of it?

Honestly: I've always used TourMaster one-piece suits, and the ONLT time that I ever had any intrusion into it, was when I neglected to close up the Velcro on the collar...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Can't help much cause it doen't rain much here....when I lived in Texas I had a full suit that did the trick First Gear I believe but here I only have the Frogg pants and a regular jacket that are water proof ....but you are right they should keep you dry....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN GEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm sorry to ask this question:
    Why were you wet?
    Before getting too mad at me , is it because the gear was simply leaking, did you have it closed up completely, or was it a case of sweating inside of it?

Honestly: I've always used TourMaster one-piece suits, and the ONLT time that I ever had any intrusion into it, was when I neglected to close up the Velcro on the collar...
    Fair question Bob; I put it on under a overhang @ the restaurant prior to departure and it was fully closed and battened down. Only thin I didn't do was put the hood under my helmet, that I wish I had done, and don't count that as part of the wet I was.

Al

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised at the results you experienced. I've been in many storms - even hail - and my garden-variety Frogg Toggs have never failed to keep me dry. The only complaint I have with the Frogg Toggs was that the zipper that held the hood folded into the collar fell off.

I've never even gotten damp wearing Frogg Toggs.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Fair question Bob; I put it on under a overhang @ the restaurant prior to departure and it was fully closed and battened down. Only thin I didn't do was put the hood under my helmet, that I wish I had done, and don't count that as part of the wet I was.

Al
    Thanks for filling in some of the blanks.

By the way:
    I lover your signature line:
    "All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!"

I've got the perfect picture to go with it!

Cuppa 12.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a general, generic question. Do I not have the right to have the expectation that when you put your rain gear on prior to getting wet in a downpour that you should stay dry while riding??????

I have just purchased new, never before used motorcycle rain gear from Frogg Toggs. Rode home yesterday from a trip for Mi. Spyderlovers get together in two hours of rain, some very heavy and when I arrived @ home the only thing that was dry were my gloves from the Aero Stich 3 fingered glove covers that I use.

I had a previous pair of frog toggs that weren't motorcycle specific, that worked well for the first 9 months that I had them but then became exceedingly porous and I was soaked in under an hour of use. Frogg Toggs said that it was because they weren't motorcycle specific that caused them to fail in under 12 months.

Forgive my unrealistic expectations but is there ANYTHING out there short of a cage that you can be dry on arrival at your destination when you ride in the rain???

Do the one piece first gear suits keep you dry. Does the $1000 + Aerostich riding gear keep you dry(chime in here Joe Meyer please).

I enjoy riding; I DO NOT enjoy being wet in less than two hours exposure. I don't see how anyone could ride in the rain in temperatures much below 50 degrees ambient and be wet AND maintain their core temperature to be a safe driver.

So please let me hear your HONEST answers of how to solve this problem that we ALL face when we ride other than in fair weather. Thanking you all in advance for your cumulative wisdom!

Al in Kazoo

The ones I'd particularly like to hear from are the high milage travelers like Murph Brown , Ann and Joe Meyer and Doc from Florida. Any others I'm neglecting feel free to add your thoughts and recommendations. Currently the HD gear seems to lead the pact.
    Al, I'll chime in for Joe, yes his Aerostitch gear keeps him dry. We both wear textile jackets and pants that are waterproof. Joe wears Aerostitch pants and jacket, and has for years. His pants are probably 9 years old and they keep him dry - after washing I reapply a waterproofing product to our gear.

I have Aerostitch pants but have also worn First Gear pants and both keep me nice and dry. I bought a Can-Am Caliber jacket in 2013 when they were on a big sale. This is a man's jacket so the fit isn't perfect for me and that has led to me getting a little water down my neck at times. I have worn First Gear jackets too and they kept me nice and dry. The key is Gortex or Gortex like material. Not only are they waterproof but they breathe.

Both of us keep our pants in our saddlebags when we are around town or on day rides away from home. We can pull them on over our jeans in the event of rain. On traveling days we usually wear them over shorts or sweat pants. As for the jackets - unless it is super hot - we wear them. If we have my trailer with us we take mesh jackets too. The mesh jackets usually come with a rain liner but you will sweat so much that you will be just as wet as if you had no jacket on.

So if you had this gear yesterday I think you would have left home with your jacket on and your textile pants in the saddlebag. Before you left the event you would have put the pants on and you would have arrived home dry.

Look for a good Gortex jacket with plenty of vents and a zip out liner so you can wear it when it is cold too. Make sure that your pants are long enough that when you are seated they fall below the top of your boots.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Our experience with Frogg Toggs(bought at motorcycle shops) is that they are fine for rain, but not at over 60 mph. We got soaked going to and from Spyderfest this year. We had bought the new Frogg Toggs because perspiring in our other rain gear seemed too uncomfortable at any speed. If you find a solution besides $300 to 400 we sure would like to know!
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

I always tell people that we have good luck using Stearns gear from Walmart. I know, Walmart turns a lot of people off, but we needed gear in a pinch once and found this stuff. It works great for what we need it to do, and the price was around $30 a set if I remember right. I don't think there will ever be rain gear that breathes properly and keeps you 100% dry at the same time. If it's pouring down, you're gonna get wet. If ya don't wanna get wet, don't ride in the rain...LOL. I know, it can be miserable, but really, it's just water
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I've never had a problem with my Frogg Toggs and I've ridden quite a few miles in the rain. The only thing that gets wet are my hands, and I wear waterproof gloves . I always try to get them on before the rain starts. And I never put the hood under my helmet.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I always tell people that we have good luck using Stearns gear from Walmart. I know, Walmart turns a lot of people off, but we needed gear in a pinch once and found this stuff. It works great for what we need it to do, and the price was around $30 a set if I remember right. I don't think there will ever be rain gear that breathes properly and keeps you 100% dry at the same time. If it's pouring down, you're gonna get wet. If ya don't wanna get wet, don't ride in the rain...LOL. I know, it can be miserable, but really, it's just water
    Not true, if you spend $30 you can expect to get wet but if you invest in quality riding gear you will stay dry.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN GEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I've never had a problem with my Frogg Toggs and I've ridden quite a few miles in the rain. The only thing that gets wet are my hands, and I wear waterproof gloves . I always try to get them on before the rain starts. And I never put the hood under my helmet.
    For dry hands and gloves the 3 fingered glove covers from aerostich work well. On my second season with them and everything works as advertized, They look weird but they do what you bought them for!!!

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN GEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    For the money requested for most of the rain gear the vast majority seem to work fine for light rain and short term drizzles.

Most seem to fail miserably when you are in a hard rain or riding in the rain all day long.

No dispersion on you but when I am riding, other than around town on errands I EXPECT my gear, that I've spent my hard earned money purchasing, to work as advertized.

I don't want my trips interrupted, made miserable; and if the ambient temperature is less than 60 degrees, me made hypothermic and stupid causing bad decisions that are associated hypothermia to affect my safety!! It's not just about the water!!!

My reaction time is already depressed secondary to my age, I don't need ambient weather to further impair my judgement and ability to react when I am required to do so.

I'm glad that the Stern's gear works for you, but others who travel for a living would not find it up to the task. While I don't travel for a living I do put 15-20K a year on my bike, while still working full time. I expect that I'll put a few additional miles per year when I retire. I want to be as comfortable as possible when riding. Rain should never be a limiting factor to your enjoyment of a ride.

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I've tried a few different rain gloves - to date, the ones that have worked the best were the BRP Soft Shell Touring Gloves. I ride alone, so my rain gear is always in a stuff bag bungeed to my back seat. That way, if I am in rain, unexpectedly, I don't have to open a dry compartment to get to it. Gloves go in the bag, first, then jacket, then pants - so the stuff comes out in the order I am putting it one. I seldom get caught, unprepared, though because of the neat radar apps that can be put on a smart phone - on road trips, I look at the radar at every gas or stretch stop to see if anything is on my route.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

On our way to Spyderfest last year my husband and I hit rain 30 miles from home and drove for 2 days in rain. Some of it was so bad the semi's were pulling off....we did too, but anyway we were using Frogg Toggs. Mine were Road Toads and we did have our leathers underneath but it was still cold. We did stay dry but like most everyone else our hands were wet and cold. It is miserable riding in the rain even when you stay dry under the rain gear; the damp cold air just seems to seep in.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post
    On our way to Spyderfest last year my husband and I hit rain 30 miles from home and drove for 2 days in rain. Some of it was so bad the semi's were pulling off....we did too, but anyway we were using Frogg Toggs. Mine were Road Toads and we did have our leathers underneath but it was still cold. We did stay dry but like most everyone else our hands were wet and cold. It is miserable riding in the rain even when you stay dry under the rain gear; the damp cold air just seems to seep in.

For dry hands and gloves the 3 fingered glove covers from aerostich work well. On my second season with them and everything works as advertized, They look weird but they do what you bought them for!!!

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN GEAR

from Dan Mc Nally: I seldom get caught, unprepared, though because of the neat radar apps that can be put on a smart phone.

One day perhaps I'll get high tech enough to have a smart phone, just haven't gotten there yet!! But thanks for the advise. Those are pretty nice gloves you use.

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe wears those also and he likes them. They do look really weird, especially since his are orange and his jacket is hi-viz yellow.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post

If you want good cold wet weather gloves go to Costco in the winter time and get a pair of Head snowmobile gloves. They are under $20 and have never let me down. Your hands will be warm and dry.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622