Spyder Garage

Default Need F3 Owners Advice...

Hello, I am Beng from Richmond, B.C..

I am at a cross road again (whether to buy an F3 or not). Have had significant "stick time" on 2 RTLs, 1 STS and 1 STL, so I am not new to Can Am. Currently, have a 2014 RTL which my wife and I ride on road trips. We enjoy the comfort and ample storage space.

My dealer is trying to sell me either a 2016 F3T or F3 Limited and I can't decide if its worth the money. Took it for a test ride, and found the riding position "awkward" being a bit too far back compared to the RTL. The dealer adjusted the footrest/brake pedals back for me, but I find reaching out for the handlebars (guess I need a reduced reach handlebar of at least +2" backwards) to be able to lean against
    the BRP backrest that the demo had on.

I would like to know from you F3 owners how you like your F3 and if you would buy another one. What is it you like about the F3 and what you don't like about it.

am sure the wife will still prefer the RTL for comfort and secure seating position. But I see the F3 more for solo riding. If ever we buy the F3, we will still keep the RTL.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice. Happy and safe riding to all.

Beng
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

As a solo rider I would buy again. If you do any traveling, you'll need a trailer. Unless, of course, you're one of those minimalists who can pack for a two week vacation in a fanny pack. As much as I try, I can't and I enjoy pulling my trailer.

If you're keeping the RT L for your wife, you guys will be just fine. She'll never survive on the back of the F3. I'd go with the F3 Limited.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

WARNING.....NOT AN F3 OWNER

I have test sat a few though. Absolutely Love the cruiser styling. Cannot stand the cruiser ergos.
    I am way to heavy to have to support all my weight on my tailbone. My legs cannot support anything
    when my feet are a half mile ahead of the rest of me. I need my legs under me.

Maybe it's about what you "grew up with". If you came out of the Harley/Cruiser family....you probably dig the F3
    If you came out of the sportbike/standard family....maybe not so much.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default HUGE

HUGE LOSS OF STORAGE SPACE....
    HUGE GAIN IN EXCITEMENT....

I rode my RS for over 50K miles, had fun, but nothing like my F3.... from the RT to the F3, is like going from a Caddy to a Corvette... i now have 28K on my F3 and my face feels like it's going to crack from smiling every time i ride it.... and YES, i've done 1 cross-country and other multi-thousand mile rides on her, and i'm here to say, i'll do more... Nathez Trace in October for one...

everyone has their own taste and requirements... the F3 meets all of mine... as for storage, i've learned how to pack for multi-weeks trips using my tail-bag and 2 soft side-bags.... 5 changes of clothes, and on day 4 do a laundry stop... works out fine...

think it out well, because spending $20,000 for something that won't make you happy is a tuff nut to swollow.....
    good luck...
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

I think you answered your own question with found the Ryding position awkward! Why would you buy a $30,000.00 machine that felt awkward?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post

Maybe it's about what you "grew up with". If you came out of the Harley/Cruiser family....you probably dig the F3
    If you came out of the sportbike/standard family....maybe not so much.
    I think this really sums it up. (Although I'm on the other side of what's comfortable...) I can't ride for any distance on my wife's RT. I just get uncomfortable and start shifting in my seat. On my new F3 I've now logged the most comfortable miles to date. If it doesn't feel comfortable from the get go, you're not going to get used to it and learn to love it...
    Regards, Rodney
    2011 RT-S SE5
    2016 F3T SM6

Spyder Garage

Love it and would buy it again in a New York minute!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Had 2 RT's and went to the F3. Would do it again in a minute. I like the ergonomics - 5'6", 30" inseam. A whole lot of RT riders put road pegs on the RT to stretch out on trips. The F3 is already "stretched out". I put the foot boards on mine and I can move my feet around to comfortable positions. I like the lower feel of being more "in" the machine rather than "on" it, but that is a personal choice. Certainly, cargo space is more limited. I put the saddle bags on mine (they are part of the upper end F3s now) and I have ample storage. I won't be going back. If you are going to keep the RT anyhow, I'd say you would love to have this machine in your stable! Best o' luck on your choices!

Spyder Garage

I grew up on crotch rockets and I traded my can am maverick for a 2011 RTL. I put 6000km on it in just over 3 weeks doing some trips alone and with the wife. I then traded that for a 2015 F3S. I liked the RT but anything over 100km for me my left leg would start to go numb and hurt in the groin area. Id have to stop and stretch. im 6' 230-240lbs. yes I probably could of bought a comfort seat and highway pegs but at 1200 plus dollars for a maybe that would fix was to expensive for me. My dealer gave me an F3L to try for the weekend to make sure I would like it. I loved it. like said above it was like going from a motorhome to a corvette haha.

i can literally ride now for over 300km at a time (need gas after that) and not even need to stretch.

and now the F3L has the rear storage bin that you can add with the back seat etc you will have all the storage you need.

but I would go to your dealer and ask them for a demo for a weekend and try to put at least 1000 to 1500km on it. make sure you get a back rest to for your wife or she will hate it.

if you are going to spend 25000 plus on a machine they should be able to give you a demo for the weekend.

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

absolutely love the riding position of the f3s. rode to spyderquest from nj and back. three days down, and only 2 days back. 586 miles one day and 568 the second day! not bad for an old fart like me!! if you're still keeping the rt, then go ahead and treat yourself to the f3. you can tune in the seating position with the ufit system. the chart that brp has for the f3 and heights versus position aren't iced in stone. i'm only 5'10" and ride the 5th position as I have a cannonball seat which sets you ahead anyways.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chuck DOES know how to pile-up the miles!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default F3

I have had mine almost a year. I don't like the rear shock( to soft.) It needs a better sway bar. To much body roll.
    Riding position is a bit awkward. Takes time getting use to. Has great power. As a second bike it's OK. But I don't think I would buy another
    one.

Spyder Garage

Like the OP, I have got to the "test sit" trial and the F3 failed because of the ergos. For me, it did not feel right. I had similar vibes when the RT first came out. Went to HD and test sat the new (at that time) Triglide. Same feeling. When they started it up, my feelings were confirmed. I wont even go to the pricing--which was out of this world ridiculous. I ended up switching from RS to RTS Premier Edition.

I LOVE the looks of the F3 L. But $30K for something I don't like the feel of--no, I am sorry. Will have to stick with my two RT's.

I am glad for those who made the switch and are very happy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Go F3 it!!!

F3S all the way - We love this machine!!!

Get whatever version you prefer. Go for the F3T if luggage and having a lazy boy on board is of importance and desire.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

LOVING IT!

Have had my F3 LS since 6/1416 and it was the BEST gift I could have ever bought myself!. No complaints, No issues, Does what I ask, Comfortable, Compliments all the time.
    Needless to say GO FOR IT!

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Hello, I am Beng from Richmond, B.C..

I am at a cross road again (whether to buy an F3 or not). Have had significant "stick time" on 2 RTLs, 1 STS and 1 STL, so I am not new to Can Am. Currently, have a 2014 RTL which my wife and I ride on road trips. We enjoy the comfort and ample storage space.

My dealer is trying to sell me either a 2016 F3T or F3 Limited and I can't decide if its worth the money. Took it for a test ride, and found the riding position "awkward" being a bit too far back compared to the RTL. The dealer adjusted the footrest/brake pedals back for me, but I find reaching out for the handlebars (guess I need a reduced reach handlebar of at least +2" backwards) to be able to lean against
    the BRP backrest that the demo had on.

I would like to know from you F3 owners how you like your F3 and if you would buy another one. What is it you like about the F3 and what you don't like about it.

am sure the wife will still prefer the RTL for comfort and secure seating position. But I see the F3 more for solo riding. If ever we buy the F3, we will still keep the RTL.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice. Happy and safe riding to all.

Beng
    It sounds like the RT is still the machine for you.

If it isn't comfortable for you then it isn't comfortable ... too much money to spend to be uncomfortable in my opinion. Why spend $25-$30K for something you will have to spend thousands on to try to make it comfy.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I've had an RT and I have a F3s... In my opinion the RT wins hands down in overall comfort and value out of the box.. I switched because I like sitting in VS sitting on a Spyder.. The F3s is a lot tighter / firm ride,, at least the way mine is set up. and "I"prefer that.. I have Elkas and a stiffer swaybar.. I was focused from the beginning to make my F3s a capable long distance touring bike and I have no doubt of my success but the cost was high.. I love the way mine turned out and the ability to take the luggage on and off was one of the main drivers in my overall plan.. I wouldn't even consider a F3T or F3L ,, I personally do not like the looks of them and if I'm going with fixed luggage I'd go with an RT.. Just my honest opinion..

Spyder Garage

Just got my F3-T so I'm still getting used to it - myself, I never had any problems sitting on the RT for trips, but then I have friends who can't ride it for more than a few hours.

Feels like I'm more in the F3 than on top of the RT, so I like the feel when you climb on the bike and also like having the tank in front of me - it makes me feel like I'm on a more tradional bike than a three wheeler. Never had any control problems on my RT - I had a lot of 2 wheel guys who could not keep up with my RT on the Parkway. so I never had no problem with feeling like I was falling off the bike or lack of control.

Depending on how you look at them the F3 is just a sporty version of the LT - nothing earth-shattering between the two bikes.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com