Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Hi ingramwc,

Re: So as long as service and parts are available

Not to, hopefully, sound all gloom & doom, but this is what concerns me as the owner of a '08.

I have owned two 'specialty' cars that were out of production. It became harder & harder to get parts, of any kind, for them.

I just hope that in 2 yrs or so, BRP does not quit providing whatever parts that we may need.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't there a length of time required; for the manufacturer to supply parts for discontinued vehicles?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Isn't there a length of time required; for the manufacturer to supply parts for discontinued vehicles?
    I was under the impression that parts have to be available for 10 or 12 years. I think I heard that years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! I thought that I remembered a 10-year requirement...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    That seems to be a bad choice.
    I wonder why ?
    Also, the 998 V-twin is not compliant with Euro-4 emissions standards. I doubt that Rotax wished to continue to devote production resources to an engine that can no longer be sold in the EU.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

That's an urban legend. There are certain requirements regarding discontinued vehicle warranties, but there is no mandate regarding parts availability.

The whole story is here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ar-parts-myth/
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 08-17-2016 at 02:07 PM.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for straightening me out on that one!

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: Thanks

Urban myths seem to have a life of their own.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

are all of you guys forgetting that there's always something on the design table?
    But are you forgetting that there are no new designs from the design table before next summer, Bob?

Nope, it's a whole 'nother year to wait around to see if BRP does something other than the F3 and RT... grrrrrr.

BTW, as another resident RS champion in these parts: I'm bummed, but completely unsurprised, we all knew this day was coming. The only surprise is the small one, that BRP dropped the line without immediately replacing it with something new. While having four models in the stable was clearly too much for a niche vehicle, I'm not sure that dropping from four to two is a good look for BRP, my first impression is that it smells of brand *weakness*, and not confidence in the future of the product line. Particularly since we're back to a single engine model for the entire lineup-- a great engine, to be clear, but also an expensive one, i.e. the entry fee for Spyder ownership continues to remain very high for all but the most committed buyers.

Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if BRP was running the numbers on the late-model Spyder market and realizing the obvious: it helps no one but the immediate consumer to have so many 2015, 2014, and older (!) "new" models sitting on the floor begging for deep discounts. BRP's completely hosed the resale market on Spyders from the beginning-- a new brand was never going to hold value all that much, but it's not going to hold anything at all when you can buy new bikes off the floor for the same price or less as a used bike. If the RS and the ST weren't selling through on the dealer floor, it was indeed time to drop them rather than continuing to bring out yet another model year to gather dust awaiting the inevitable mfr discounts.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks just can't wait to acquire patience; can they?

Want it now.jpg

Spyder Garage

This can't be true.. The dealer I went to today says no way the RS is his biggest seller...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2andia View Post
    This can't be true.. The dealer I went to today says no way the RS is his biggest seller...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Another issue: Dealers are always folding. There used to be three places here in the Anchorage area selling and servicing Spyder. The Anchorage area dealer dropped the line and no longer sells or services Spyders.

The Eagle River dealer went from "dealer" to "service center." When I went in for service this spring, I was told they did not have a mechanic to work on --but I could take it down the road to Wasilla to have it serviced.

The owner worked out a deal and he and one of his guys put the new tire on my 2014 here in Eagle River. With my health issues, the trip to Wasilla, jockeying transportation so that I can get back home while leaving the for a day or two, and then the reverse--I am slowly getting not happy with the whole process. If the last remaining dealer decides to end it with there wont be any place in the whole state to purchase or get them serviced.

Time is ticking and we will see what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If they introduce a starter model, maybe it will be at the 10th Anniversary. I was also impressed to see you can buy the backrest cargo as an add on for the 2016 F3s. I bet that is going to cost a pretty penny.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The RS and ST join many other has been vehicles that litter the landscape. They all had their devotees who undoubtedly also cried profuse tears when they died: Hudson, Studebaker, Desoto, Imperial, Edsel, Rambler, Oldsmobile, DeLorean, Saturn, Plymouth, Ford big trucks, International Scout and pickup, and many others. The market is cruel to those who misjudge it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The RS and ST join many other has been vehicles that litter the landscape. They all had their devotees who undoubtedly also cried profuse tears when they died: Hudson, Studebaker, Desoto, Imperial, Edsel, Rambler, Oldsmobile, DeLorean, Saturn, Plymouth, Ford big trucks, International Scout and pickup, and many others. The market is cruel to those who misjudge it.

I miss my Yugo
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default RS & ST mow extinct

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    But are you forgetting that there are no new designs from the design table before next summer, Bob?

Nope, it's a whole 'nother year to wait around to see if BRP does something other than the F3 and RT... grrrrrr.

BTW, as another resident RS champion in these parts: I'm bummed, but completely unsurprised, we all knew this day was coming. The only surprise is the small one, that BRP dropped the line without immediately replacing it with something new. While having four models in the stable was clearly too much for a niche vehicle, I'm not sure that dropping from four to two is a good look for BRP, my first impression is that it smells of brand *weakness*, and not confidence in the future of the product line. Particularly since we're back to a single engine model for the entire lineup-- a great engine, to be clear, but also an expensive one, i.e. the entry fee for Spyder ownership continues to remain very high for all but the most committed buyers.

Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if BRP was running the numbers on the late-model Spyder market and realizing the obvious: it helps no one but the immediate consumer to have so many 2015, 2014, and older (!) "new" models sitting on the floor begging for deep discounts. BRP's completely hosed the resale market on Spyders from the beginning-- a new brand was never going to hold value all that much, but it's not going to hold anything at all when you can buy new bikes off the floor for the same price or less as a used bike. If the RS and the ST weren't selling through on the dealer floor, it was indeed time to drop them rather than continuing to bring out yet another model year to gather dust awaiting the inevitable mfr discounts.

Agreed, Love my RS, picked it up for less than 13K out the door. They have priced the base F-3 at the entry price for a RS used to be. Which says that the same discounts will now be applied to the new lower entry price of the base F-3. However; to get to something that will tow, now your talking mid 24K. For that price might just a well by the RT base, much less expense to have 3-4X's the storage and carrying capacities of the F-3's.

Decisions, decisions.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I miss my Yugo
    Try stepping up closer; don't forget to use a sighted-in rifle!

Spyder Garage

Try stepping up closer; don't forget to use a sighted-in rifle!
    Good one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Will the RT model lineup be next?

I see them axing them within a few years, heck, all one sees now is the F3's being advertised, big push, and why have a v-twin when 3's cylinders are better. I prefer a twin; always have, from 2 wheel motorcycle cruisers to my Rt Limited Can Am, so I guess I'll sit back while BRP pushes on. Car manufacturers discontinue models now BRP can join the bunch, just saying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Hi, Dave. Haven't seen you around the forum much this summer. Hope that's because you are getting a lot of riding time in.

You make some very good points there. First, if BRP has any new design on the table, it's not going to market this year, when they are only one model year away from their big 10-year anniversary. I suspect we may see something new released for 2018.

But even more importantly, I believe your comments about lacking sales has a lot to do with current marketing strategy. My dealer told me today that US sales nationwide are down about 45% from last year, and his two stores here in Eastern PA are down significantly more than that with respect to Spyder Sales. There was just a thread a couple of days ago about a dealer in North Jersey dropping the line altogether. Dwayne just commented on the dealer situation in Alaska. I'll bet there are similar stories all across the US and Canada. We all know that 2015 was also not much of a banner year either for BRP. I'm sure you are correct about this having a lot to do with BRP dropping the slower selling models for 2017. Heck, in this sales environment, even the introduction of the new F3 Ltd. was probably considered to be somewhat of a risk.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IntoTheWind View Post
    I see them axing them within a few years, heck, all one sees now is the F3's being advertised, big push, and why have a v-twin when 3's cylinders are better. I prefer a twin; always have, from 2 wheel motorcycle cruisers to my Rt Limited Can Am, so I guess I'll sit back while BRP pushes on. Car manufacturers discontinue models now BRP can join the bunch, just saying.
    RT could be around for a long time, just like the Goldwing. It's been 41 years for the 'wing with evolutionary changes along the way, about once every ten years, but it's still a 'wing. Then there's the Valkyrie. Subordinate to the 'wing with a lot of great features that a lot of folks liked. It's come and gone. Same with the Runo, but shorter lived. And the Silverwing, come and gone. But 'wing keeps on going. And now the F6B. It's to the Goldwing kind of like the F3 is to the RT. They both may last a long time while the king of the lineup keeps on going and going and ..... And then again, they may not.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2andia View Post
    Then they don't sell very many spyders, do they!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IntoTheWind View Post
    Don't think the RT will be on the chopping block, a redesign block probably!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.