Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RS and ST now extinct: Future only F3 and RT

Just watched the live facebook video from Club BRP in Orlando.

Going forward, the RS and ST have been officially discontinued.

2017 offerings include only variants of the F3 line and the RT lines.

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Spyder Garage

That seems to be a bad choice.
    I wonder why ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Geez Edith !............I kept thinking there would be 1330 version of an ST. oh well.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    That seems to be a bad choice.
    I wonder why ?
    I think it comes down to sales. They don't sell very many of either of the other lines, as I understand it. Production is expensive, and simplifying to two models with variations that both use the same engine is far more cost efficient.

I understand that there are people here who may want an RS or an ST, and they still can be purchased. I'd rather see good customer service and quality control for a more limited line than have them spread their resources too thin and have a repeat of the 2013 issues.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Geez Edith !............I kept thinking there would be 1330 version of an ST. oh well.
    I was hoping the same.....heavy sigh. but I do like the look of the F3-Limited though.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

This is as I predicted. There is no reason to continue to make two different engines and two different transmissions. The F3S Daytona replaces the RS. The F3T replaces the the ST and now you have two touring options F3L and the RT! One engine and one transmission! The most popular remain, while the others die of natural causes!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 08-17-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I guess once my 2009 GS is worn out( still runs and looks great), I'll be out of the Spyder scene.
    I am a "mid- controls" guy, I like to hug my bike, move around when going into turns.....
    I like to stand up if I feel like it, I like to use my legs as shock absorbers sometimes.....
    So unless they come out with some way of having those controls, I'll be gone.
    Funny, they build the F3, tell ya it's for limited 2-up riding, put a rear shock on it that can't handle 2 stout people, and now the choices dwindle....
    I understand their logic, just don't agree with it.

Bill Pitman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did any of you 8actually believe that you could stuff the 1330 under the RS/ST bodywork?
    It was never going to happens, and the result was inevitable.
    The 1330 is the engine platform for the future: the 998 was a stop-gap from the past...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, so much for my idea of a 10th Anniversary RS model!

I understand about the issue of supporting two engines, etc., but it's sad when long-time Spyder RS riders feel like they'll have to abandon the product all together. Maybe they'll eventually come out with something like a F3-CR (crotch rocket) with controls further back!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Soo Much for the inexpensive Model to lure young people into the Market???
    Having a 5 speed (sm5) 998RT and a F3 sm6 I got the best of both worlds.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "Starter" model may yet be in the planning stages...
    After all: the ACE 600 engine is a proven one!

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Not too sure when but that starter model IS in the works! Connected sources tell me!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PLEASE PM me with details...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If this is true, those who have RS's, especially later model years, will likely see their value increase. There are a lot of people who love the RS and the V-Twin. I am not as confident about the ST which seemed to be a place holder until the F3 was ready.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Well, I guess once my 2009 GS is worn out( still runs and looks great), I'll be out of the Spyder scene.
    I am a "mid- controls" guy, I like to hug my bike, move around when going into turns.....
    I like to stand up if I feel like it, I like to use my legs as shock absorbers sometimes.....
    So unless they come out with some way of having those controls, I'll be gone.
    Funny, they build the F3, tell ya it's for limited 2-up riding, put a rear shock on it that can't handle 2 stout people, and now the choices dwindle....
    I understand their logic, just don't agree with it.

Bill Pitman
    Hey Bill you can do all of those things on an F3!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did any of you 8actually believe that you could stuff the 1330 under the RS/ST bodywork?
    It was never going to happens, and the result was inevitable.
    The 1330 is the engine platform for the future: the 998 was a stop-gap from the past...
    Yes I thought it was certainly possible with some engineering work. The RS would have been a bullet with the 1330. To bad, it would have certainly appealed to the younger crowd.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RS VS F-3

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Well, so much for my idea of a 10th Anniversary RS model!

I understand about the issue of supporting two engines, etc., but it's sad when long-time Spyder RS riders feel like they'll have to abandon the product all together. Maybe they'll eventually come out with something like a F3-CR (crotch rocket) with controls further back!
    Patti, and everyone else in Spyderland .......The F3 ...is the new RS ........Think about it, why would BRP keep a 6 year old body style AND then put the new 1330 engine into it. It doesn't make economic sense..........jmho.......Mike

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to se the RS go. She was my first and I will never forget the thrill of riding her on that warm summer day on "09. She may have been my 1st., but others have followed. Just having her gave a new meaning to.....Ride in comfort.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news...

Well the RS and I will ryde till the sun sets on one of us and the it will be no more...What is left does not suit me at all in style or comfort. The seating, though comfortable to start, will beat me up in the long run. I see an increasing number of the F3's coming on the market used making me think that they are not as successful as one is made to believe. Don't know the reason maybe caught up in the hype. Just my view, The V-Twin engine is not only used in the spyder and production is a non issue but I see where brp is going. Will keep my eyes open for the other brands that may come up with a nice repacement now that this gap has been opened.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Chupaca, I got a ST because the leg position was more comfortable for me than a F3 (yes, I did ride a F3 first). Mount and dismount are much easier for me on the ST.
    I have had both hips replaced and both knees need replacing, the new hips are good but do not allow the full range of motion the OE ones did.
    I do really like my Spyder and it will probably outlast me anyway!!! So as long as service and parts are available, I will keep the ST.
    Y'all ride safe out there!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Well, I like to hug my bike, move around when going into turns.....
    Bill Pitman
    So you like many of us want to sit "On the Bike" rather than "In the Bike". BRP apparently missed that.

Those of us with ST's and newer RS's are just approaching the what bike next decisions. BRP has nothing for us.

And for those that continue to mention the 1330 vs 998's this is not about engines, its about riding style and handling.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm glad I'm picking up my new to me 2014 RSS on Saturday. I have sat on the F3 and I just do not like having my feet out in front of me. It seems like a very nice machine just isn't for me. I have ridden an RT and although it is very nice it's not quite what I'm looking for and a little on the pricey side. Hopefully they do come out with something else at the lower end of the price range because I would imagine cost keeps some from considering a spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Patti, and everyone else in Spyderland .......The F3 ...is the new RS ........Think about it, why would BRP keep a 6 year old body style AND then put the new 1330 engine into it. It doesn't make economic sense..........jmho.......Mike
    Because, there is nothing like an RS in the Twisties and with a 1330, well it would have been amazing!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

are all of you guys forgetting that there's always something on the design table?

Spyder Garage

Since I'm not on Facebook for security reasons, I didn't see the video they posted.
    I think BRP should have an intro model for the younger set.