Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bob,

Re: Thanks

Urban myths seem to have a life of their own.

Jerry Baumchen
    That's why they are urban myths!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post
    I was hoping the same.....heavy sigh. but I do like the look of the F3-Limited though.
    I LOVE the look of the F3 Limited. As soon as I can ride again I'm taking my RT to my dealer and talking to them.

Pricey, though.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

The big problem for me is the sitting position of F3's as the only option for my long legs was feet forward which I've never liked.

I also found the 1330 engine surprisingly underpowered when I took an F3 out for a demo ride. How you could produce an engine with more cc, bhp, torque in a lighter bike and yet it's still slower than an older model I do find amazing.

However for RS owners like me there may well be an alternative in the form of the Honda Neowing as it may be going into production by the end of this year.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RS owner point of view.

I am a big RS fan and a long term owner of a 2010 model.

I understand why BRP have consolidated to just supporting models based around one engine.

However it is disappointing that the range going forwards does not offer any options for the sports bike rider, especially considering it was the RS that started the line & the Spyder platform success.

In just offering cruiser and touring models, it does cut much of the existing Spyder customer base out.

It is also disappointing that the expansion to the existing range going forwards consisted of nothing more than a model reducing nanny intervention (should be standard anyway) and the ability to have a custom back box for more storage. This is hardly ground breaking.

Reducing 4 models to 2, cutting out the sports bike customer base all together, but provide the option of reducing nanny intervention (only if you upgrade your bike), or add a integrated back box is not really progressive.

Honda are likely to bring the Neowing into production in 2017 (formal announcement due by end of next month).

This has a hybid boxer engine (4 cylinder as used in the Goldwing : it will share the same engine as the Goldwing going forwards). Not only this, it is a leaning reverse trike (much narrower front ended than a Spyder) & will compete directly with the F3 and will offer an option to the existing RS customer base (see attached photos : it looks much more like a traditional bike).

With Honda dealerships everywhere, their strong reliability reputation & big $$ r&d budgets, expect this bike to make a big impact.

I hope BRP offer something for us sports bikers, if not much of the RS customer base might look elsewhere, & the Neowing looks like a good starting point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plmilligan1968; 08-18-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Red Spyder RS SE5
    : Two Bros Twin Carbon Fibre Exhaust (small bafflers), K&N Air Filter, Juicebox Pro, Maxton Suspension, Rivco Driver Footboards, Ultimate Sports Windshield, IPS Key Holder, Extended Passenger Footrests, Sports Rack & Backrest, Fog Lights, Hard Panniers, Comfort Seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    The big problem for me is the sitting position of F3's as the only option for my long legs was feet forward which I've never liked.
    What about the new floorboards Lamont just came out with for the F3? From his pictures they appear to help a bit with the foot position.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Well, I guess once my 2009 GS is worn out( still runs and looks great), I'll be out of the Spyder scene.
    I am a "mid- controls" guy, I like to hug my bike, move around when going into turns.....
    I like to stand up if I feel like it, I like to use my legs as shock absorbers sometimes.....
    So unless they come out with some way of having those controls, I'll be gone.
    Funny, they build the F3, tell ya it's for limited 2-up riding, put a rear shock on it that can't handle 2 stout people, and now the choices dwindle....
    I understand their logic, just don't agree with it.

Bill Pitman
    Amen!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Those are also my thoughts. I have sit on F3's several times at the dealer and my long legs do feel right unless I can get the pegs adjusted all the way forward which they will not do for someone on the showroom. If I do manage to fit my legs under the cowling, I will not have the options to move them around like I do on my ST with floor boards and highway pegs.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are plenty of options for where you put your feet...
    Your dealer should certainly be able to use the "test-fit" apparatus, that they have. Once mounted to an F3: it allows you to test ALL of the various footpeg and handlebar options.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    What about the new floorboards Lamont just came out with for the F3? From his pictures they appear to help a bit with the foot position.
    I'm afraid I'm not a fan of floorboards, prefer pegs and like those to be mounted back so my feet are sloped downwards towards the front. The RS has it's pegs about as far forward as I'd want them. I also ride a manual which don't work too well with footboards.

I'm 6'2" but long legged (36" inside leg when buying jeans). If you go on the F3 'fitting' page you'll see the foot peg position it recommends for that height is 5 - i.e. maximum forward, it will not even let you slide it back further than 3 which is still very forward. On the test ride I also found my knees catching the bodywork where it flares out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Your dealer should be able to use the "test-fit" apparatus, that they have. Once mounted to an F3: it allows you to test ALL of the various footpeg and handlebar options.
    Yup Bob, like I said they do not go back far enough. The holes for alignment do not run back far enough. And special linkage would be required.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Those are also my thoughts. I have sit on F3's several times at the dealer and my long legs do feel right unless I can get the pegs adjusted all the way forward which they will not do for someone on the showroom. If I do manage to fit my legs under the cowling, I will not have the options to move them around like I do on my ST with floor boards and highway pegs.
    That is EXACTLY my problem with the F3. I've ridden several of them, and my long legs just seem like they have nowhere to go that is comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Your dealer should certainly be able to use the "test-fit" apparatus, that they have. Once mounted to an F3: it allows you to test ALL of the various footpeg and handlebar options.
    Bob, the problem with the F3 and long legs, especially with larger riders, is that there is nowhere for your knees to go. Folks with shorter legs can tuck their knees under the curve in the side cowling. With longer legs you knees hit the widest point of the cowling and it is just terribly uncomfortable. Believe me, I've tried to get comfortable on an F3 and it just doesn't work. Doesn't matter where the foot pegs go. I've tried different positions - there is no comfortable peg position. Like AY4B says above, putting the pegs all the way forward helps a little, but then your feet are stuck there in one position, and also the brake is harder to control. Also, stretching your legs all the way forward puts additional stress on your tail bone, which would be uncomfortable on longer rides. The main problem is the wide cowling at the engine position. The F3T I rode was a little better, but not by much.

I could not physically ride an F3 longer than about half an hour without a good amount of leg (and possibly back) pain. But I can ride many comfortable hours on an RT (or an ST Sport, for that matter). The F3 is fine for some folks, but believe me, the F3 U-fit system is not a magic answer for everyone.

Don't know if you've ever ridden a Honda Valkyrie, but to visualize what I'm saying, picture yourself riding a Honda Valkyrie with extended forward controls and monkey bars on a long trip. How would your knees, legs, and back feel after about 3 hours of riding? Now picture yourself on the same Honda Valkyrie with extended forward controls, monkey bars, but also a seat that is about a foot lower and a brake pedal that you can't quite locate with your foot. THAT'S what an F3 feels like to me.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-18-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see your problem, Rob: it's genetics!
    Being quite a bit shorter than you: I didn't find my knees to be the problem...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black