Thread: installing seat

Spyder Garage

Default installing seat

Well I was installing my new stock seat (removed the Ultimate Tall Boy which was comfortable to sit on but did not fit either one of us) and found it a pain to get the 2 bolts and nuts in the rear to mate up. I got one but could not get the drivers side (what does that mean on a bike) to mate. Anyone have any tips on this? Have a great day. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I just replaced my stock seat with the heated comfort seat last week. There is not a lot of room to work to say the least.

I used a flexible spring claw pick-up tool. I used it to grab the caged nut and then position it in place while I used my other hand to start the bolt into the nut. A lot of light helps as well so you can see the end of the bolt lining up with the caged nut.

Spyder Garage

I also installed an aftermarket seat strut (mine did not have one when I got it) that has more psi in it and it seems to push the seat a little farther forward. It is the one referenced on the forum (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=seat+strut).
    Thanks,Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've already got one in: try using some Duct-Tape to hold the nut in place, and then run the bolt through to it.
    (It worked for me...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You did remove the passenger back rest to give you access to the bolts right?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

+1 on remove the backrest and be sure to put a rag or something in the black hole for when you drop a nut or bolt.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's actually at least THREE spots to cover up (If you don't want to lose stuff...)
    All three sections around where the seat bolts up have designed to be great places for eating parts and tools
    Plus, you've also got the normal cast of characters that are directly under where the seat ends up sitting...
    Proceed with caution!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I put some white lithium grease on the nut so it wouldn't slide out and covered all 3 holes at the back (when I removed the seat I lost a bolt in the side hole in the middle--I just lost my GPS cover in the crack by the handlebars but was able to fish it out--one time while putting cams in my Virago I dropped a nut into the cylinder--this could go on and on and on). Yes I did remove the passenger seat back. I have small hands and it is still hard to do. I thought about sliding a small allen wrench or screwdriver into the hole to line it up bit it would probably fall into never-never land also. I also installed the ShowChrome Passenger Armrests and they rub up against the seat when you raise and lower it. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I AM SURE .....

I am sure after owning, riding, servicing and in general
    working on the Can Am Spyders all models so far....
    I am sure they were designed by people who do NOT ever
    or have ever had to work on any type of machines with
    2 or more wheels. They seem like they have been conceived
    by committee, people who are not mechanics or techs,
    everything on them is hard to get to, just try replacing the
    tail light bulbs on an RS some time, or changing out a seat
    on an RT... everything takes more time than it should.
    I have owned, ridden and repaired/serviced over 40 motorcycles
    in my life and none of them inc. Goldwings are as hard to service.
    All I can say is take your time don't try rushing things and be careful
    not to loose nuts and bolts by dropping them in the holes under the seat
    The Spyder seems to swallow them up never to be seen again..
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Installing seat

Along with removing the passenger backrest, covering the holes under the seat with blue painters tape, I put a small piece of tape over the nut and put a piece of wood against the frame to hold the seat up higher. I also used a rotating ratchet which made turning the bolt a lot quicker and easier.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You did remove the passenger back rest to give you access to the bolts right?
    I was able to do it without taking off the passenger backrest. It was not that difficult using a spring loaded grab tool as I said.

Spyder Garage

About losing those small tools in the black holes... A tip I got was to tape some fishing line to one end - used the tip and saved an Allen wrench.

Ryde, eat, sleep... Repeat

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    About losing those small tools in the black holes... A tip I got was to tape some fishing line to one end - used the tip and saved an Allen wrench.

Ryde, eat, sleep... Repeat
    That's much easier than getting eight football players to turn your Spyder upside-down, and shake the pudding out of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Well I was installing my new stock seat (removed the Ultimate Tall Boy which was comfortable to sit on but did not fit either one of us) and found it a pain to get the 2 bolts and nuts in the rear to mate up. I got one but could not get the drivers side (what does that mean on a bike) to mate. Anyone have any tips on this? Have a great day. Thanks, Mike
    I just finished installing the Show Chrome passenger arm rests. First I removed the passenger back rest. Then I stuffed rags into all of the black holes under the whole seat. I then disconnected the seat end of the gas strut. I removed the bolts that the seat hinges on. After installing the arm rests I smeared a little grease on the spacers so they would stay put. I slid one of the square nuts into it's slot and lined it up with a phillips screw driver. Holding the nut in place with one hand I passed the bolt through and got it started. I did the same thing on the other side and then I amused myself with a small box end wrench tightening the bolts 1/16th turn at a time. Needless to say I amused myself for quite a while. I didn't waste that time because I was able to figure out how to set the tension on the arms so they wouldn't swing out in a sharp turn dumping my first wife. It was all worth while because she likes them.

Spyder Garage

Default installing seat

I got tired of the bs to remove or re-install mine so I just got 2 long bolts drilled a small hole in them for a spring clip, reach in behind seat or remove backrest as described previously if you like then pull the spring pins, pull the bolts and off in 5 min or less.Also don't forget to tape the holes to neverland as well. I did also have to drill a hole on each side through the plastic piece that the nut tightens up against and put a pin in it as a stop to keep the bolt from angling or turning or moving toward the seat [tightening the nut stops that on the original way] works great!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sounds pretty interesting!

Spyder Garage

While the sear is on I silicone the nuts in place. Then wrap duct tape over the open edge and press it around the nut. Should keep it I. Lose
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Is it OK to leave the tape, or whatever you use to cover the holes, on all the time? Are they air vents or just annoying holes that made me curse and jump up and down when I lost a nut?
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you've already got one in: try using some Duct-Tape to hold the nut in place, and then run the bolt through to it.
    (It worked for me...)
    Exactly what I do and......if/when you remove it the nuts stay in place and help hold the spacers.

Spyder Garage

The first time I changed seats I did not remove the passenger back rest nor did I cover the holes in the back. After dropping one bolt and a wrench that both found those open holes I fished the bolt and wrench out with a magnet and blue taped up the three holes. I left the tape in place and it has stayed there through 6 seat changes.
    For the nuts I slide a plastic cable tie under each nut and that holds it in place. I also now remove the back rest to provide more room to work.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEAVING THE TAPE

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    Is it OK to leave the tape, or whatever you use to cover the holes, on all the time? Are they air vents or just annoying holes that made me curse and jump up and down when I lost a nut?
    As others have stated I also have left the tape, however I did poke some small holes in them to allow water to eventually pass thru.....................jmho....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pulled that tape after I was done... but only because I had done such a sloppy job, when I was covering up those part-grabbing holes!