Spyder Garage

Default F3t mirror vibration

We picked up our 2016 F3t as a replacement for the RTs and really love the ride. One thing I am not overly pleased with is the side view mirrors. There is so much play in the housing that anything over 45 mph and a newly paved road you don't have a clue as to what is behind you they vibrate so bad. The bike itself doesn't feel like it has a lot of vibration. There seems to be a lot of movement between the two halves of the mirror housing, forward half has the turn signal and rear half has the mirror assembly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there screws somewhere that hold these parts together that can be tightened?

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

I recently had the rear half of the left mirror fall off onto highway.luckily no traffic, and very little damage.problem apprears to have been a MISSING screw.the piece has a couple prongs on the side closest to bike, and on the outside a single screw to hold it in place. I would suggest you check that asap.

TomG

Spyder Garage

Zuni,

Have a look at this video by Lamont. It shows how to take the Limited mirrors apart....
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gvvZy7i8M

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Zuni,

Have a look at this video by Lamont. It shows how to take the Limited mirrors apart....
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gvvZy7i8M

Pete
    Thanks Pete. I forgot about Lamont's video and was wondering how it came apart. REALLY glad it isn't like the RT. I hated having to wack that thing to take it off.

CJ JAx

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    We picked up our 2016 F3t as a replacement for the RTs and really love the ride. One thing I am not overly pleased with is the side view mirrors. There is so much play in the housing that anything over 45 mph and a newly paved road you don't have a clue as to what is behind you they vibrate so bad. The bike itself doesn't feel like it has a lot of vibration. There seems to be a lot of movement between the two halves of the mirror housing, forward half has the turn signal and rear half has the mirror assembly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there screws somewhere that hold these parts together that can be tightened?

CJ JAX
    I'm having the same problem with mine. Only shows up at interstate speeds for me. Wondering if a piece of double sided tape will cure it. I thought it was the tires at first. Had them rebalanced twice. Tom
    Last edited by Tango; 08-14-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default This helped me

Pulled the rear cover (around the light) off. There are three retainers. OH so glad there is no more playing wack a mirror like my RT. There is one screw one the end away from the bike that hold the mirror assembly in place. The end of the assembly closest to the bike has two holes that mate up with pins. Unfortunately the holes are too large and it allows for play in the mirror. I cut two pieces of double sided #M tape and put over the holes on the side toward the bike. I used the pins to push through the tape. Play eliminated.

CJ JAX20160814_131317.jpg20160814_131252.jpg20160814_130759.jpg20160814_130746.jpg20160814_130914.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Zuni

Mine are pretty tight, luckily, but it's great to have a fix, just in case.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pulled the rear cover (around the light) off. There are three retainers. OH so glad there is no more playing wack a mirror like my RT. There is one screw one the end away from the bike that hold the mirror assembly in place. The end of the assembly closest to the bike has two holes that mate up with pins. Unfortunately the holes are too large and it allows for play in the mirror. I cut two pieces of double sided #M tape and put over the holes on the side toward the bike. I used the pins to push through the tape. Play eliminated.

CJ JAX20160814_131317.jpg20160814_131252.jpg20160814_130759.jpg20160814_130746.jpg20160814_130914.jpg

That's what I was thinking. Great job, and pics. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default F3-T mirrors

CJ JAX
    I am not happy with the vibration in the mirrors also. I finally just mounted mirrors on the handle bars and now I am happy. I did not like the view that I was getting with the convex mirrors no matter how I adjusted them. If I move the handle bars up it completely blocks the mirrors anyway. I used the top blocks with the threaded holes.

Chris

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just lucky I guess but after 1500 miles in 3 weeks, a lot at freeway speeds not vibration.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you, Dr Zuni

I started to see some vibration in the right hand mirror on my Thursday ride and again this morning, above 70mph on the freeway. I just installed the very expensive Dr Zuni's Mod. Hallelujah.....It's a miracle.....I'm cured ! ........Thanks Zuni

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Thanks Zuni! Great fix, after applying the tape I did use an awl to poke hole in tape. B S R.eliminator. (Buzz, squeak, rattle)
    2016 F3-TSE , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too

Gotta add my Thanks, zuni. This is one of the few aggravating things I have found about my F3L .... rattling mirrors ... all because of the sloppy fit of little plastic pins on a (nearly) $40K (CAN) machine. Great to learn there is an easy fix. Quick, cheap and effective - it works!!! Stopped the annoying noise and also ended the shakes. Thanks for the helpful pics. Already did another quick fix on the 'too high' brake pedal position - drilled a new hole 7/16" closer to forward yoke end of the brake rod. Thanks to those other SL members who offered that quick solution. Gonna get my Spyder working the way I like it yet!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-20-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

This thread might help too.

>CLICK ME<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I did Zuni’s mod but instead used gorilla tape. It helped some but the main problem seemed to be where the mirror attached to the base plate the lower 2 studs had a lot of play where it passes threw the spring retainers. I removed the base plate and used some needle nose pliers to squeeze that spring together. It worked!! The spring retainers just needed to be re tensioned to hold those lower 2 studs tighter.
    Last edited by AY4B; 05-20-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Source

Not seeing vibration at the mirror pins, but will put tape on it anyway. I believe the hanger pin at the top is the source of play. We will play around with it! Spring clips seem ok.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I just used a small piece of Gorrilla tape and pushed it threw the holes with the torx bit till it poked threw. The spring clips seemed to be the fix for me. They looked fine but just giving them a hard squeeze with the needle nose made a world of difference.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic