Spyder Garage

Default Anyone ever ride the U.P. of MI.?

Wife and I are gonna head back up to the U.P. this fall for several days. It's awesome up there in the fall. Just curious if anyone has some first hand experience of what to do and where to go ideas. I have a general idea of what we'll do, and where we'll go, but the more info the better... So chime in as you please. Gonna head up for the first week in October if anyone wants to try to join up for a day.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mac Bridge and city
    Soo Locks
    Taq fall
    Copper Harbor
    Shipwreck Museum
    Pictured Rocks
    And much more!
    great trip on a bike enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Been a few years, but I used to live in Ashland WI-right next to the UP. Also traveled the UP extensively. Inventoried almost every grocery store up there.

Your right about the fall colors. They don't get much better. Give the Copper Harbor area some time as well as the Pictured Rocks area of Lake Superior. It's worth it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just booked a room for 5 nights in Escanaba. The plan is to ride in a different direction every day, (250 miles a day) and so far you guys have mentioned some of my "targets". Gonna do the big bridge and probably get caught up in the tourist trap of Mac City for part of a day. Pictured Rock is in my sights too. Thinking Grand Marais too. Since we're gonna make it a 5 day stay in Escanaba, we'll likely trailer there and take a few extra things along. Hoping to find a few little Mom N Pop restaurants and bars and some waterfalls as well.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just got back from doing a solo 'Lake Michigan Circle Tour' - started in Chicago thru Indiana and around. Met a group of riders in Wi that asked if I did the 'Tunnel of Tree's' up near Traverse City- I was bummed that I missed that one. At least see if you want to put that on you're list. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL TRIP- can't wait to do it again

Spyder Garage

Going across the bridge is thrilling to say the least! Take sate road 2 once you cross the bridge, great views of Lake Michigan. If you had to White fish point, stop in Paradise for some great fish and chips! It will be a great trip for you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Some U.P. Suggestions.....

I spent 10 days camping in Copper Harbor (cage & camper) a couple of years ago. Lots of beautiful things to see there. If I recall rightly, Fort Wilkins was cool, and the Delaware Mine was interesting.

Recently I drove back from North Dakota on Route 2. Peaceful, scenic ride. Watch for the deer (antlered rats, Uncle Joe called them). I found some of the smaller, roadside rest stops were just as neat as the major State and National parks.

Earlier this summer, I rode with the "girl posse" up to Brimley, near St. Ignace. Again, beautiful scenery. The bridge, on the Spyder, was barely tolerable, due to my fear of heights. Thats a big bridge! We left early on a Sunday morning & had difficulty finding an open gas station.

Oh, and Fayette Historic State Park is another place to not miss.

Have fun.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Wife and I are gonna head back up to the U.P. this fall for several days. It's awesome up there in the fall. Just curious if anyone has some first hand experience of what to do and where to go ideas. I have a general idea of what we'll do, and where we'll go, but the more info the better... So chime in as you please. Gonna head up for the first week in October if anyone wants to try to join up for a day.
    Pictured Rocks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictur...onal_Lakeshore

Quincy Mine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Mine

Soo Locks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soo_Locks

If you drop down to the southern portion

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepi...onal_Lakeshore

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default St Ignace

One of my all time favorite eateries is the Driftwood Motel in St Ignace MI, Try the Planked Whitefish. No, it does not have a fancy name nor come with a high price tag, just good food.

As previously mentioned in the lower peninsula...
    There is Legs Inn (Cross Village) at the northern end of the Tunnel of Trees. Legs Inn is another, can't pass up, historic stop with good food (Polish) and a great patio view overlooking lake Michigan. At the southern end, in Harbor Springs, is Tom's Mom's Cookies. oh my!

So much to do, so little time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Escanaba?...I can't go there without suggesting that you watch the movie "Escanaba in da Moonlight" before you go. Quite a parody on the northern peninsula. Silly...yet amusing.

Spyder Garage

Default U.P....

Definitely go on the Agawa Canyon Tour Train ride. And the Soo Locks Boat Tours. Both are worth the time.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just booked a room for 5 nights in Escanaba. The plan is to ride in a different direction every day, (250 miles a day) and so far you guys have mentioned some of my "targets". Gonna do the big bridge and probably get caught up in the tourist trap of Mac City for part of a day. Pictured Rock is in my sights too. Thinking Grand Marais too. Since we're gonna make it a 5 day stay in Escanaba, we'll likely trailer there and take a few extra things along. Hoping to find a few little Mom N Pop restaurants and bars and some waterfalls as well.
    That sounds like a good plan and fun every day. don't forget to post some pics and give us your recommendations!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default We are here now!

Howdy Folks,
    We are here,(Iron Mountain), after taking "The Badger" ferry across to Wisconsin. We are headed to Copper Harbor today, then taking a ride across, visiting 12 Water Falls, then back down across " The Bridge" to home. A few rain showers, but "Snoopy" ('14 RTS), is performing flawlessly as usual.
    Highly recommend this Adventure👍👍👍
    Stay Safe, Stay Happy,
    Old Man Grizz & The Boss😘

Spyder Garage

The last time I rode the U.P. was over 30 years ago on a Virago, stopping whenever I saw something interesting. Took over a week to make it around Lake Michigan and back home to Wolverine Lake. Good times.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We always try to get to Copper Harbor for fall colors. And then back to the porcupine mts. Beautiful up there. I think Grand Marais is a little far from Escanaba, last I knew it was way up in the northern tip of Minnesota. We always stay at Calumet. Americ Inn has special rates for bikers. Have a good trip.

Spyder Garage

In the west end are the porcupine mountains and bond fall flowage.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

make sure you ride highway 58, from Munising to grand marsai.......it is a great road. also, ride up to copper harbor is fun too if you have the time

enjoy!

Spyder Garage

IMHO I wouldn't"t stay in Escanaba, kind of a bust. Go north and stay in Muenising, Grand Marais, Marquerte, much more scenic and more to do in evenings. Ride from Muenising to Grand Marais is epic! Lake Superior is, well, superior to the southern UP. Copper Harbor a must and hit Jam Pot on the way.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indyron View Post
    IMHO I wouldn't"t stay in Escanaba, kind of a bust. Go north and stay in Muenising, Grand Marais, Marquerte, much more scenic and more to do in evenings. Ride from Muenising to Grand Marais is epic! Lake Superior is, well, superior to the southern UP. Copper Harbor a must and hit Jam Pot on the way.
    Yeah, I know there isn't much in Escanaba, but we might wanna wander south one day too. I was also looking for the cheap rate for a room, and Escanaba came through for us. I've heard quite a few talk about H58 to Grand Marais, so it's definitely on my list
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The U.P. is a long ways from east to west. I do a ton of riding in the western 1/3 of the U.P., so we should ask if you are seeking the best roads to ride or do you want to know about the best scenic stops along the way? I would for sure hit Lake of the Clouds (Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park) in the far west along Lake Superior. Then run the spine of the Keweenaw all the way up through Houghton Hancock to Copper Harbor (US 41) and then come back down to the lift bridge along the west coast on M-26 and M-203, some of the best roads in the entire U.P. along with the final ten miles of US 41 heading north into Copper Harbor. Off to the east you should do the Marquette to Munising to Grand Marais run, even drop down to Tahquamenon Falls. All of M-28 from east to west is much better than US 2 in my opinion, any day.

BUT, truth be known, some of the better roads are just south of the border in Wisconsin. Any of the county and state roads from Hurley across to Presque Isle, Land O Lakes, Manitowish Waters, Florence, Nelma, Aurora, Niagara, awesome riding. I was just there a couple weeks ago, going back next week.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I know there isn't much in Escanaba, but we might wanna wander south one day too. I was also looking for the cheap rate for a room, and Escanaba came through for us. I've heard quite a few talk about H58 to Grand Marais, so it's definitely on my list
    Be really careful if you are looking for CHEAP rooms in the UP. You can get exactly what you are paying for. I found just such a place in Copper Harbor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got home today.

H58 from Grand Marais-Munising
    Boat ride to view Pictured Rocks
    Military Road between 32 and 70 (yes in WI)
    Sault Locks, SSM
    Tower of History, SSM
    Mission Cemetary Overlook, Mission, MI
    Wi55 from Crandon to Shawano, WI

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default I spend a lot of time in the UP.

I am a regular visiter to the UP. Snowmobiling, motorcycling, fishing, cruising in the car and site seeing.

Here is a link to a wedsite that has a UP motorcycle travel guide, I have one from 2013, very useful.

https://upcruising.com/
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Default Shipwreck Museum

If you are in Sault Ste Marie to visit the locks, which is fascinating, don't forget to visit the Shipwreck Museum, which is equally fascinating. Lots of artifacts from the Edmund Fitzgerald, information and exhibits about the merchant marine industry, and stories about many other shipwrecks on the Great Lakes as well.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat