Thread: RIDE ON

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RIDE ON

i have wondered about ride on for a while, well one of the things i found out is:
    stuff like ride on which is kept in a tire heats up the tire which will affect mileage.
    it also may only rebalance the tire when you reach 40 or 50mph.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

I can only go by personal experience. I put 31000 mile on our RT that had and still does have ride on in the tires. We got 28000 miles on the fronts, a14000 on two rear tires! They are always perfectly balanced, and I think tire wear is within acceptable limits!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Ride on ???

I just put it in my RT and I'm not sure that I like it.
    I have about 5 miles of 30-50 then about 10 miles of 70-80 then about 8 miles of 45-55
    and it 's shaking till just before I pull off freeway about 13 miles before it smooth's up.
    I've made about 6 trips like this. It does sit for a few days between trips.

For you guys that have it will it get any better? If it will always shake like this I will not be happy with it.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your Thread.
    Last edited by Omcge; 08-08-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i have wondered about ride on for a while, well one of the things i found out is:
    stuff like ride on which is kept in a tire heats up the tire which will affect mileage.
    it also may only rebalance the tire when you reach 40 or 50mph.
    Not exactly:

Q: What is the effect of Ride-On (TPS) on tire life?
    A: Ride-On (TPS) tire sealant extends the life of the tire by 25% or more. Heat caused by friction and amplified by under-inflation is one of the primary causes of tire failure. As tire temperature increases, the rate of oxidation and subsequent polymerization resulting in stiffness and chemical degradation of a tire also increases. Ride-On (TPS) coats the inner surface of a tire with an inert liquid layer that absorbs heat from the tread surface and conducts it to the thinner sidewalls which can dissipate it more effectively. This layer of Ride-On (TPS) also helps eliminate porosity leaks and reduces the rate of detrimental oxidation reactions. Ride-On (TPS) has been shown to increase tire life by 25% or more.

I was not able to find information on what speed is required for Ride-On to 'Re balance' a tire. The initial balance may require speeds of 40-50 mph. But in my experience, the tire is balanced at all speeds. My Spyder has to sit for a week or so for the balance to be bad enough to feel. Then it usually takes 3-5 miles for the balance to return.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    I just put it in my RT and I'm not sure that I like it.
    I have about 5 miles of 30-50 then about 10 miles of 70-80 then about 8 miles of 45-55
    and it 's shaking till just before I pull off freeway about 13 miles before it smooth's up.
    I've made about 6 trips like this. It does sit for a few days between trips.

For you guys that have it will it get any better? If it will always shake like this I will not be happy with it.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your Thread.
    How much and of what version of Ride-On did you use?

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been using Ride-On for several years over three different motorcycles, plus my Spyder. I have never experienced any "break in" period. I have always enjoyed a smooth ride, and exceptionally long life on my tires. I do not permit any weights to be put on my wheels.

It's important that you use the correct formula, and correct dosage for your tires. Ride-On comes in Auto, Motorcycle, and ATV. They've recently come out with a Spyder specific formula as well. The folks at Ride-On are adamant that you use the right formula, lest you have problems.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 08-08-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I put the Michelin Hydroedge on my 2013 RT the local tire shop who mounted it could not spin balance it. They put in the same stuff they regularly used in large truck and pickup tires. I think it's called Liquid Balance. In the 18,000 miles I rode it before I sold it I never noticed any problem with tire balance, not even cold. I don't know how it differs from Ride On but I figure tire guys must like it OK or they wouldn't be using it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

go to the ride-on.com site and watch the demo I use it and have no complaints,

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

http://www.ride-on.com/auto-and-suv-formula.html

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    go to the ride-on.com site and watch the demo I use it and have no complaints,

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

http://www.ride-on.com/auto-and-suv-formula.html
    Also if you mention you are a Spyderlover user you get a discount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    You are a tire guy for a day job I thought. Not bagging on your comment, but I need to ask, if the road friction heats the tire, how could Ride On heat the tire. It may insulate the tire somewhat, but unless the tire is pushed to its limits, the insulated heat should not be an issue.

I suppose if too much Ride On were added it could be serious factor.

I live where it is warm or hot most of the year. I do not know the temp specs for Ride On, but since it pours from a bottle at room temp, it will flow easily in a cool tire. I could be wrong but thought I read it thickens with heat but does not solidify, so as the tire begins to roll the solution flows as needed, then "sets" as required.

Ironically, I am not a fan of these products and prefer a high end balance, but unless I removed the hub from our Spyders rear wheel it would not fit my dynamic balancer, so the rear does have one bottle of Ride On. My two fronts however are dynamic balanced with weights on multi planes and balanced on the fine setting to within .1 ounce.

Recently while at a dealer, we were talking tire balance. Never saw it mentioned here, but there is a tech bulletin for shops to take the static balanced front tires with weights on a single centerline plane and rebalance by dynamic method and place weights on two planes. I had to do this within the first week of ownership and long before the bulletin existed.
    There are advantages and disadvantages to all methods of tire balance. When you get serious about this often under considered subject you simply have to decide which advantages are most important to you and which disadvantages are the least important. One of the problems with the Spyder rear wheel are the lack of options for most people.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone???

Does anyone or has anyone used any of the tire pressure monitoring systems in conjunction with any of the liquid tire balancing or puncture prevention products? I was wondering if the two products were compatible?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not exactly:

Q: What is the effect of Ride-On (TPS) on tire life?
    A: Ride-On (TPS) tire sealant extends the life of the tire by 25% or more. Heat caused by friction and amplified by under-inflation is one of the primary causes of tire failure. As tire temperature increases, the rate of oxidation and subsequent polymerization resulting in stiffness and chemical degradation of a tire also increases. Ride-On (TPS) coats the inner surface of a tire with an inert liquid layer that absorbs heat from the tread surface and conducts it to the thinner sidewalls which can dissipate it more effectively. This layer of Ride-On (TPS) also helps eliminate porosity leaks and reduces the rate of detrimental oxidation reactions. Ride-On (TPS) has been shown to increase tire life by 25% or more.

I was not able to find information on what speed is required for Ride-On to 'Re balance' a tire. The initial balance may require speeds of 40-50 mph. But in my experience, the tire is balanced at all speeds. My Spyder has to sit for a week or so for the balance to be bad enough to feel. Then it usually takes 3-5 miles for the balance to return.

Ron, I totally agree with you. I have a similar experience as you have on my 2012 RT about 3-5 miles into the ride the bike is fine. my sitting time (to feel an imbalance) is a little less as I ride at least 3 times a week. I am glad I put the Ride-On in because my development is still undergoing construction and neighbors are constantly complaining about nails in their tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    You are a tire guy for a day job I thought. Not bagging on your comment, but I need to ask, if the road friction heats the tire, how could Ride On heat the tire. It may insulate the tire somewhat, but unless the tire is pushed to its limits, the insulated heat should not be an issue.

I suppose if too much Ride On were added it could be serious factor.

I live where it is warm or hot most of the year. I do not know the temp specs for Ride On, but since it pours from a bottle at room temp, it will flow easily in a cool tire. I could be wrong but thought I read it thickens with heat but does not solidify, so as the tire begins to roll the solution flows as needed, then "sets" as required.

Ironically, I am not a fan of these products and prefer a high end balance, but unless I removed the hub from our Spyders rear wheel it would not fit my dynamic balancer, so the rear does have one bottle of Ride On. My two fronts however are dynamic balanced with weights on multi planes and balanced on the fine setting to within .1 ounce.

Recently while at a dealer, we were talking tire balance. Never saw it mentioned here, but there is a tech bulletin for shops to take the static balanced front tires with weights on a single centerline plane and rebalance by dynamic method and place weights on two planes. I had to do this within the first week of ownership and long before the bulletin existed.
    what i am saying about heat is ride on like most liquid gels in a tire insulates & keeps heat in the tire. heat disbursement
    is part of a tires utqg rating. the more heat a tire has or creates the less mileage you will see off the tire.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Does anyone or has anyone used any of the tire pressure monitoring systems in conjunction with any of the liquid tire balancing or puncture prevention products? I was wondering if the two products were compatible?
    I have ride on and the FOBO system. I have had no problems with them working together. I believe on the ride on web site it says it will not interfere with monitoring systems.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue