Spyder Garage

Default Veskimo Endurance

It is so freakin' hot here in North Louisiana that if I ryde further than the local market, I need to have cool to take with me. Daily temps 97 with that 'feels like' temp up to 110. It's the extra high humidity that raises the temp above thermometer level. I use the Veskimo vest and it cools the body core so the rest of me doesn't mind the heat. I've been using a 3/4 mesh jacket. That keeps the arms cool but means that the ice melts after about 80 or so miles and the cooling diminishes. For some reason nobody has block ice any more. That lasts longer than the crushed ice that is availabel just about everywhere. I'm wondering if anyone else uses the Veskimo. If so, how do you make the ice last longer? I mean, how do you insulate the body core from the outside blowing heat?
    Last edited by ricford; 08-08-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Maybe instead of block ice you could fill it with dry ice. It would last longer, and when you come to a stop, you would put out that fog machine effect!!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Maybe instead of block ice you could fill it with dry ice. It would last longer, and when you come to a stop, you would put out that fog machine effect!!
    I'd be concerned about the carbon dioxide the melting dry ice would give off, especially if you get caught in traffic or at a light.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Since you have to have a quart of liquid you would need to be careful you did not freeze it. I believe mine said a small piece of dry ice and be added but I have not tried it. I would not worry about the carbon dioxide, you could not get a concentrated amount with the lid closed.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Veskimo

I use a Veskimo also. Dry ice is NOT recommended. It could damage your system. Go to a dollar store & by some plastic bowls close to the size of the Veskimo cooler. Fill with water & freeze. There is your cubed ice to start out with. If you can carry a regular cooler with extra blocks in it or freeze bottles of water & take with you. I try to avoid crushed ice on the road. But it's better than nothing. I hope this helps.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    I use a Veskimo also. Dry ice is NOT recommended. It could damage your system. Go to a dollar store & by some plastic bowls close to the size of the Veskimo cooler. Fill with water & freeze. There is your cubed ice to start out with. If you can carry a regular cooler with extra blocks in it or freeze bottles of water & take with you. I try to avoid crushed ice on the road. But it's better than nothing. I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the responses. For sure, dry ice is not to be used. I was kinda asking what would be the best insulator for the body to reduce the effect of blowing heat which is the reason the ice melts so quickly. I will try a couple of things, one is to use a solid winter jacket to block hot air flow or use a layer of the mylar bubble insulator to block air and contain the cold. I know that that 3/4 mesh jacket is no insulation at all. Even with a solid safety vest over it. I'll work it out. I'm kinda surprised more folks don't use the Veskimo. It makes the difference in riding in the heat and stay inside in the day and riding at night.
    If you recall pictures of astronauts walking around in their flight suits, carrying a small ice chest looking device, it is exactly the same thing as the Veskimo. It's just that they don't ryde down the freeway at 70 MPH. But it's the same system.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by ricford; 08-10-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default dry ice

I don't know how this vest is made or works ...... that being said, DRY ICE will cause EXTREME DAMAGE to your skin if you come in contact with it ........ The temperature so LOW actual contact is not necessary .................. just a thought ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't know how this vest is made or works ...... that being said, DRY ICE will cause EXTREME DAMAGE to your skin if you come in contact with it ........ The temperature so LOW actual contact is not necessary .................. just a thought ............ Mike
    Hay Mike fyi it works by plumbing recirculating water from a cooler thru a vest
    Fyi http://www.veskimo.com
    nifty tech No real risk of long contact. Longer lasting freeze blocks or reusable type that can fit in the unit is the question know they strictly advise only using water as the medium, to not damage the pump. The dry ice may work but if the cooler is well sealed it could pressurize & be dangerous

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried wearing a regular jacket, textile, instead of the mesh? I wear a cool vest and if I don't wear a textile jacket over it the cool vest will be dry in short order. But with the textile jacket on I can go a full tank of gas and it is still wet.

I know someone with a Veskimo and she uses trays like Curin20 suggested.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

OK, you have me thinking about this as the heat in Oklahoma can be pretty bad at times. We typically ride 2-up on an RT. Does anyone else use the Veskimo 2-up? Where do you place the cooler units?
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze