Spyder Garage

Default Ryding in the rain

It hasn't rained here in months, and I've never ridden in the rain. How do you deal with the rain on your helmet visor or goggles? Rain-X? Wipe every 10 seconds?
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I go faster so the wind blows it off. Of course I use a shorty windshield so I get plenty of wind on my helmet.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Here's how I do it....

As you ryde along, turn your helmet slightly to the left and then right or visa versa and the rain will sheer off....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As you ryde along, turn your helmet slightly to the left and then right or visa versa and the rain will sheer off....

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just ride faster, so the rain can't catch me.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Never ridden in the rain?? You've missed one of the great joys of Spyder Ryding!!

Just take it easy, slow down a little from the speed you'd usually travel at (more for heavier rain!) & give yourself more 'safety gap' behind the car in front so you've got a little more reaction time/space if they stop in a hurry, & like others have said, gently move your head from side to side a little as you ryde along so the change in attitude blows the drops off your visor (& gives you more chance to check out the behaviour of the surrounding traffic!)

While ATGATT is always a good idea, adding water resistant or proof gear to help keep you warm & dry inside when it's raining is smart; & full-finger & armour backed or padded gloves on your hands plus a full-face helmet with a Pin-Lock anti-fog insert is a really good idea if rain is likely - at Hwy speeds rain drops hitting bare skin or your face can hurt, and hail hitting your un-protected fingers or face can really do some damage!!

And just as an aside, if you are heading out to go riding in the rain, especially if it's after a long dry spell so the roads haven't been washed clean of oil & tire residue in a while, dropping your tire pressure by say 5-10% (a couple of psi or so?!) can be a really smart thing to do!! Lowering your tire pressures a bit for the cold & wet road surface means the tire casing will get to flex a bit more & thereby heat up to operating ramps a little quicker than otherwise, as well as making the tread compound a tad warmer overall & therefore 'stickier', improving traction in the wet. And it also means the tread contact patch on the road surface can flex & conform to the slight irregularities in the surface a bit more & better; giving the grooves, sipes, & tread blocks of your tire tread pattern a better chance of pumping water out of the way & thereby avoiding hydro-planing while gripping the road better too!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-01-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Never ridden in the rain?? You've missed one of the great joys of Spyder Ryding!!

Just take it easy, slow down a little from the speed you'd usually travel at (more for heavier rain!) & give yourself more 'safety gap' behind the car in front so you've got a little more reaction time/space if they stop in a hurry, & like others have said, gently move your head from side to side a little as you ryde along so the change in attitude blows the drops off your visor (& gives you more chance to check out the behaviour of the surrounding traffic!)

While ATGATT is always a good idea, adding water resistant or proof gear to help keep you warm & dry inside when it's raining is smart; & full-finger & armour backed or padded gloves on your hands plus a full-face helmet with a Pin-Lock anti-fog insert is a really good idea if rain is likely - at Hwy speeds rain drops hitting bare skin or your face can hurt, and hail hitting your un-protected fingers or face can really do some damage!!

And just as an aside, if you are heading out to go riding in the rain, especially if it's after a long dry spell so the roads haven't been washed clean of oil & tire residue in a while, dropping your tire pressure by say 5-10% (a couple of psi or so?!) can be a really smart thing to do!! Lowering your tire pressures a bit for the cold & wet road surface means the tire casing will get to flex a bit more & thereby heat up to operating ramps a little quicker than otherwise, as well as making the tread compound a tad warmer overall & therefore 'stickier', improving traction in the wet. And it also means the tread contact patch on the road surface can flex & conform to the slight irregularities in the surface a bit more & better; giving the grooves, sipes, & tread blocks of your tire tread pattern a better chance of pumping water out of the way & thereby avoiding hydro-planing while gripping the road better too!!

what he said!!! but most of all enjoy it because it will happen and there is nothing you can do about it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you normally ride looking through your windshield: drop it down, and try looking over it. It's easier to look through just the visor under these circumstances.
    ...And turning your head to the side, to blow the rain off of your visor works pretty darn well...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It's fun to ride in the rain with your helmet and rain suit on and pass the motorcycle riders in their t-shirts.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Rain X
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

If you use rain X make sure it is the kind for plastic windshields. Regular rainX can ruin your plastic. I have found that riding in the rain on a spyder is not much different handling wise than riding in your car.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Yes - make sure it's Rain-X for PLASTIC

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    If you use rain X make sure it is the kind for plastic windshields. Regular rainX can ruin your plastic. I have found that riding in the rain on a spyder is not much different handling wise than riding in your car.

Regular Rain-X will ruin your helmet and bike in a hurry, but they make one specifically for the plastic windshields of motorcycles and boats (works on visors too). I haven't found a local source, but you can buy it off of Amazon.
    GWRRA Virginia District Director. Because we don't care what you ride, just that you ride safe!

Tri Axis Handlebars / CB & upgraded antenna / GPS & Cell phone integration / Trailer Hitch / FOBO TP Monitors / Black & Pearl Ultimate seat
    Spyder Cuff / Custom Paint / Laser Alignment / Flag Poles / 3rd & 4th Rear Brake & Turn LED's / Gear Brake Decelerometer Module
    A whole bunch of lights from LaMonster and SpyderPops

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat61 View Post

Regular Rain-X will ruin your helmet and bike in a hurry, but they make one specifically for the plastic windshields of motorcycles and boats (works on visors too). I haven't found a local source, but you can buy it off of Amazon.
    Cycle Gear stores carry a product called Rain Coat Pro that seems to work well.

Spyder Garage

I purchased my Rain X for plastic windshields from Auto Zone or Advance Autoparts, can't remember which. Works satisfactorily.
    Last edited by JayBros; 08-02-2016 at 04:20 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

i use a spray wax called protectall that works great on w/shields.
    unless i stop i never have to run the wipers. but then i havent been in a rain on
    bike or trike for years. we just do day rides.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

With the windshield I have not had any real rain issues. Rain tends to blow off the face shield....crack it open enough so it does not fog from your breath.

I hope some are joking about speeding up. If anything, get in the slow lane and slow down. Riding in rain can be dangerous, visibility of other vehicles, traction, road wash hitting you, etc. If the rain is super heavy or a lot of water standing on the road....may be a good time to stop for a long lunch !

The Spyder is a great machine but it is not water skis or a boat !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat61 View Post

I found Rain X for plastic at Walmart.

Spyder Garage

to be honest, i try not to ride in the rain. i have been caught in a few downpours and just kept wiping the shield with my glove. if the rain is really bad, i try to find a overpass or pull of the road to find some shelter
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME