Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost of semi automatic

In all the pricing I can see, the semi automatic is $1500 retail. With skillful negotiation this can be reduced more often than not.

For younger folks, i.e., less than 70 years old, the manual would be the way to go. But, if one has some of the consequences of growing older, being able to release the clutch may not be possible.

Oh, yes, I almost always downshift manually, unless it is just a coast up to a stop sign, no traffic. Also, as I am running essentially an open exhaust, the crackle on throttle closing is really very nice.

FYI, I run my motor between 3000 and 7500 rpm, rarely allowing the engine to pull below 3000.
    Last edited by Msmoto; 11-21-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: adding info
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Default don't miss it

don't miss the clutch lever at all in fact glad it isn't there, thought I might but I was wrong

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're all good...
    It comes down to what you like the most!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a '15 RT and love my paddle shifter. Only reason to not get it is initial price if you are budget limited, or if you need the extra bar-grip area because you have such big hands.

Spyder Garage

Go with the Semi. Its worth the money now. For comfort and for resale.
    2015 F3 , Gray/Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

Default Semi-Auto is great

Having spent 42 years on two wheels with a clutch, I was a bit apprehensive about moving to the SE6 on my F3S. I figured what the heck, if those guys racing cars make use of paddle shifters, and electronic shift aids on MotoGP bikes, why not give it a go. I will never go back to a clutch. So much more relaxing and fun. Technology is great. After all, the Spyder has tons of electronics to make the ride better...why not electronic shifting. So whether you want more exercise (via the clutch) or more time taking in the road and surrounding sights, just get out and ride to have fun. But for me, the fun is making use of the electronic shifting. It like not having to put your feet down on the road at stops...I just don't miss having to do it on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I like the sm5 on my 2012 RT BUT If I were to buy the F3 again I would get SE6 instead of sm6 because I had to get the Vacuum clutch assist for the 2015 F3 and even so with your feet up front its Harder to manual shift than the sm5 on my 2012 RT. My advice on the F3- GET SE6 !!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Semi auto for me!

Test drove a 2015 F3 S with a clutch. Once away from the dealership I enjoyed being able to "chirp" the rear tire. Something I can't do with the Semi Auto. However the manual clutch was a bit much on my hand. Ole "Arthur" and I are quite intimate with each other so semi auto was the solution to that problem. Especially when the salesman told me you did not have to let out of the throttle to shift.

Spyder Garage

Default Semi auto

While not being able to "chirp" the tire during an upshift, if one is a bit overzealous with throttle out of the hole, it will spin up fairly easily.

Upshifts in general with the auto will be smooth, most of the time. But, I prefer to very quickly close the throttle slightly immediately before upshifting, this seems to result in an even smoother shift as the computer then does not need to do the closing for the upshift. I have found the computer by itself sometimes closes the throttle more than I want, resulting in a definite power drop during the shift.

Also on downshift I love to blip the throttle, the sound is fantastic.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Exhaust-on-F3
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I can say that I now have both. My 2014 RT is manual (SM6) and the 2012 RSS is semi auto (SE5). As for a preference, I will say that I tend to like both of them evenly. I have only owned the SE5 for about 3 weeks, but it is really growing on me. If I was buying new, the additional $1500 would be the deal breaker for me. But since this time of year, deals are to be had and you can probably get a semi auto for nearly the price of a manual. I didn't know enough about spyders when I purchased my first one. So my reasoning was "why pay $1500 more for something with more moving parts to mess up? Now that I know they are pretty dependable, I would possibly go with the semi auto.

PS, if I could choose now, I would like the RT to be semi auto and the RS to be manual.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT SM5 and like it. The clutch is not hard at all even the wife has no problem with it. I shift between 4000 and 5000 and ride between 3500 and 4000 except in 5th when it is higher.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Love it. Love it. Never looking back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I still enjoy the shifting and clutch lever, but to each their own