Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice on Hard-Wired Radio Audio Out

Hi, gang! I'm helping my Dad who is a new Spyder owner, but long-time high-mileage rider. He's been accustomed to riding with a hard-wired audio connection to his helmet (coming from an Autocom). I'd love the collective wisdom of the Forum on how best to get a hard-wired audio out source to connect to his helmet. He rides alone, so no rider-to-passenger audio is needed and he would probably prefer hard wired to bluetooth. He'd just like to hear his music and GPS.

Here are the specifics on his Spyder:
    2016 Spyer RT Limited SE6
    It has the factory stereo system and GPS
    We just installed the XM receiver and the entertainment harness

By the way, I tried connecting the Autocom 7 DIN plug to the passenger audio out from the entertainment harness, but didn't get any audio. Does anyone know if the Autocom pin configuration is different than the Spyder?

Thanks a million!!

Spyder Garage

I'm not understanding.
    Are you saying you have the DIN connectors for a BRP wired intercom system ? The drivers connection is in the center of the switch panel.
    The passenger connection is on the left side near the passenger hand hold.
    If that's the case, just get a BRP compatible headset either from BRP or from J&M.

Having said that, I'd go for a bluetooth setup. I had wired headsets for years and I'm a firm convert to the new wireless headsets.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sure sounds as if a Bluetooth connection, would be the way to go for him...
    If he's got the Zumo 590; I'm pretty sure that it can be connected to his helmet in that manner.
    There are folks in here, who are wizards with all of this stuff; I'm more of a Hobbit...
    Let's wait for them to chime in!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard wired

If you decide to change your mind regarding
    using hard wired audio and want to go to
    a Bluetooth system that will do all you are trying
    to do, give me a call, I will be happy to help you
    weather you choose products from me or not.
    I am here 7 days a week 8:00AM 8:00 PM Pacific
    time, give me a call
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Swisher View Post
    Hi, gang! I'm helping my Dad who is a new Spyder owner, but long-time high-mileage rider. He's been accustomed to riding with a hard-wired audio connection to his helmet (coming from an Autocom). I'd love the collective wisdom of the Forum on how best to get a hard-wired audio out source to connect to his helmet. He rides alone, so no rider-to-passenger audio is needed and he would probably prefer hard wired to bluetooth. He'd just like to hear his music and GPS.

By the way, I tried connecting the Autocom 7 DIN plug to the passenger audio out from the entertainment harness, but didn't get any audio. Does anyone know if the Autocom pin configuration is different than the Spyder?

Thanks a million!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Swisher View Post

Thanks a million!!
    If there are DIN connectors for both driver and passenger then he has the CB installed. Check for that by pushing the PTT button, or push the Mode button three or four times. If a CB screen comes up then he has the CB/intercom communication system. He'll just need to get a Spyder compatible headset and lower cord. Go to J&M, BRP, or my favorite, Edsets.com. Edsets has some really good sounding helmet speakers.

If he does not have the DIN connector up front in the middle of the switches, then he does not have hardwire audio capability. You must have the CB unit to get that.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If he needs the hardwire headset, let me know. I have one that I just removed from my helmet, because I went the bluetooth route, but had to give up the ability of using my CB, to do so.
    Steve
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm not understanding.
    Are you saying you have the DIN connectors for a BRP wired intercom system ?
    Sorry! I wasn't very clear on that. He doesn't have the CB kit, so no BRP DIN connector for the rider. However, we did install the entertainment harness when installing the XM and the entertainment harness has a DIN connection for the passenger. For kicks, I plugged into that to see if there was audio from the radio coming out, but didn't get anything.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback so far!

Spyder Garage

You need to add the audio amp to the spyder which is sold separately or as part of the CB kit. It's about $100 from BRP, see your dealer to order. Someone stated it comes with the CB radio kit but that unit is over $800. The audio amp includes the DIN plug for the driver heat set plug. Hardest part of installation is panel pulling, as its plug n' play.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

The only way to get a wired connection using the factory radio system is the have the CB/Communications kit. The CB kit doesn't include the entertainment harness and the communications headset that connects the helmet to the Spyder; you have to buy that separately for driver and passenger. When you buy the CB you get the din connector for the driver, the din connector for the passenger is included with the entertainment harness which you already have.

I installed the CB on my 2011 and reinstalled it on my 2014. I have probably used the CB about 10 times out of 5 years of ownership; it was mainly used for my wife and me to communicate. I had lots of issues with the communications headset cable and couldn’t wait for the Sena S20 Bluetooth headsets to go into production.

I have now owned the S20 for almost two years (purchased from Motorcycle Dave) and I don’t think I will ever go back to a wired connection. My CB is still installed on my Spyder but I don’t use it. The S20 headset and Bluetooth dongle will be half the price of the CB. I’m able to use my S20 for about 12 hours of riding, if I need to I can charge my S20 while I’m riding which is rarely.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dc8cappie View Post
    You need to add the audio amp to the spyder which is sold separately or as part of the CB kit. It's about $100 from BRP, see your dealer to order. Someone stated it comes with the CB radio kit but that unit is over $800. The audio amp includes the DIN plug for the driver heat set plug. Hardest part of installation is panel pulling, as its plug n' play.

Hope this helps.
    The drivers DIN connector is included with the CB/Communications package, there isn't an audio amp with the CB.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    If you decide to change your mind regarding
    using hard wired audio and want to go to
    a Bluetooth system that will do all you are trying
    to do, give me a call, I will be happy to help you
    weather you choose products from me or not.
    I am here 7 days a week 8:00AM 8:00 PM Pacific
    time, give me a call
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Dave, since he has XM with ENT harness and he decides to go Bluetooth, you will need to send him the other cable I make for you.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

By the way, he can go hardwired if he wants for one set of headsets (not 2).
    No AMP needed for just headsets.

He would have to make his own cable though and tap into the same wires used by the Bluetooth cable I make.
    See the DIY section and I show the audio wires on the ENT harness.
    However with that said... he would not be able to control volume since those lines have no volume controls.
    But you can get headsets with a volume adjustment on the cord.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-30-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Finless

Bob, You must have missed my question about adding a flash drive option to the Spyder, any thoughts?

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Bob, You must have missed my question about adding a flash drive option to the Spyder, any thoughts?
    I don't think the older radios will support it software wise but it might!
    If you made your own cable it might work. You would use the same data lines for USB the iPod uses.
    Remember the iPod connection is a USB connection (standard PC iPod cable hooks via USB).
    But I have a feeling it won't work. Maybe one day I will try it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black