Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could be! I know they really have BRPs ear too, based on the comments made by their reps during the demo rydes we conducted for BRP. Number 1 in sales in the Western region USA!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, well, well. Whaddya know! Talked with my local dealer and they'd be more than happy to install a tire that I brought to them. In fact, there was a Kuhmo tire sitting by the service desk that another customer had brought in. And on top of that good news, it'll only cost me one hour ($99) labor for the installation! My day just got better. Thanks for all your valuable input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

See comment #29 in this related thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...da-tires/page2

I understand the federal regulation, but as I mentioned earlier in that thread (comment #26), I'd be plumb tickled if Spyder dealers offered the option of signing a waiver. As far as I can determine, only a few dealers are doing this. If it's entirely legal, BRP should spread the word among the dealers.

Spyder Garage

We do not ask for a waiver to install quality tires.

Won't install a Kenda either. With or without a waiver.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP won't say anything to it's dealers other than: "We expect YOU to sell only BRP-approved accessories, for the Spyder."

Spyder Garage

"BRP won't say anything to it's dealers other than: "We expect YOU to sell only BRP-approved accessories, for the Spyder." "

My local Honda dealer, who is also my local Can Am dealer, has display racks full of non-OEM farkles for their Gold Wings. Right there is a precedent.

I followed Spyderlovers for a while before deciding in 2014 to buy one, and I've kept reading since. Other than the heat problem with the 2013 RTs and incompetent dealership mechanics, OEM tires have consistently drawn the most complaints. IMO, it's the biggest running sore with the Spyder ownership experience. Based on this website alone, there are other, better solutions than Kendas.

It's obvious that riders are getting tires installed through non-BRP businesses. I would think that Spyder dealers would at least appreciate the income from installing rider-supplied tires -- a little income is better than none. Also, they'd have the opportunity to give the bike a look-over; they might spot something.

BRP needs to lighten up on their tire replacement policy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP ain't Honda; and Honda ain't BRP...

As your Mom used to ask you: "If your friends all decided to jump off of a bridge; do you think that it'd be okay for you to jump also?"

BRP is probably prevented from even thinking about allowing their dealers, to put a non-motorcycle on what is obviously something completely different.***

*** I'll bet that the D.O.T. has a rule about this.

Spyder Garage

The most intriguing thing about all this is that the rim on Spyders IS NOT a rim with a motorcycle profile bead; Spyder rims clearly and unequivocally have Passenger Car Bead profiles!?!

So how did the rim &/or the tire get classified as being 'motorcycle' tire in the first place??

If you look at the rim itself (without looking at the Spyder or its tire compliance plate) no-one could be faulted under any Federal Regulation for fitting a car tire to that rim; in fact, based on the rim alone, if anyone fitted any other 'Motorcycle' tire to that rim then not only wouldn't that tire fit the Spyder rim at all, but they WOULD be breaking a Reg or two!! At least here in Aus & I suspect elsewhere too (including the US & Canada) it is illegal for a dealer or tire fitter to fit any tire that has a motorcycle bead profile or construction onto a rim that has a Passenger Car bead profile & construction - and the Spyder Rims have a Passenger Car bead profile..... & funnily enough, so do the Kenda tires!! So which law or regs are they choosing to uphold & which one are they choosing to break??

So just take your rims in (if you like you can say they are an after-market fitting on your Smart Car) and get Passenger Car tires that have higher Speed & Load ratings than that of the 'specified' Kenda crap fitted onto your Passenger Car bead profile rim - and if they complain or demur, ask them when it became safe or even possible, let alone legal to fit motorcycle tires onto a rim with Passenger Car Bead Profiles??

Here in Aust it is entirely legal to fit a tire that exceeds the stated minimum specs in load & speed ratings to a vehicle &/or an appropriately sized & bead profiled rim, & if you front up with a rim that has Passenger Car Bead Profiles (like the Spyder rims do) then any Tire Fitter not specifically aware of the dodgy BRP/Kenda deal or the questionable 'motorcycle' tire labelling that's somehow been brokered with the 'authorities' over there will quite rightly refuse to fit a motorcycle construction tire onto that rim at risk of being fined a significant amount if not being found culpable in the event of a resulting & attributable accident!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can Am built a motorcycle that uses automotive-style rims... and the D.O.T. just didn't know what to do with it...
    My guess, is that they figured that a motorcycle HAS to have tires approved for motorcycle use. They told BRP this, and they went shopping for a supplier.
    And only Kenda stepped up to the plate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    A bit off topic, but did you guys have to sign a disclaimer when you bought the Spyder?

I remember having to go thorugh a ticklist sheet at the dealer in germany and then sign the bottom. Had things like 'not drive on gravel', 'not drive on snow' etc. on it. Must have been at least 10 things on there I had to pledge not to do before I could take it away.

Ironically I broke the snow one on the way back to the Uk as it was snowing when my ferry docked!! I definitely broke the gravel road one last week.

I wonder if I've got a copy somewhere - could be fun trying to tick them off in the opposite way, as in I've done them!!
    Never heard of this but would like to see it if you can find it! Sounds crazy to me lol...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    As stated above, my dealer said to me we have th Kumho in stock, it is less expensive, and others are getting much better wear on them. Would you like to give it a try? I said yes I would. No paper work involved. Apparently that tire has been approved by BRP.
    Your dealer thinks like every dealer should. Unfortunately some dealers care more about profit than customer satisfaction. Installing a non-OEM tire, of the correct size, on a Spyder has NEVER been an issue with BRP - just like installing a non-OEM accessory. (If it was, you wouldn't find so many dealer that routinely do it for their customers.) Also installing a non-OEM part does not void any part of the warranty unless it is reasonably deemed to have caused damage to other parts that would otherwise have been covered under warranty. That's really not an issue with a tire.

This whole issue is strictly a dealer problem. Many dealers install non-OEM tires that they do not carry in stock. I would think that most do, but I have never seen any sort of poll on this. My own dealer has no problem with it (as many others here have also stated over the years).

As for any type of service company asking a customer to sign a release, there are sometimes good reason for that. I wouldn't think that installing any correctly sized tire would be one of them, however. Mostly, customer releases forms are intended to help protect companies from liability when a customer asks them to do something that might result in property damage or injury. In that case, the dealer has to decide whether to risk their liability with a release, or risk losing the customer by refusing service. The truth is that anytime a service company does anything for any customer, there is a liability risk. That's what business insurance is for.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-30-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

"As your Mom used to ask you: "If your friends all decided to jump off of a bridge; do you think that it'd be okay for you to jump also?""

Depends ...... will there be cake afterwards?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Your dealer thinks like every dealer should. Unfortunately some dealers care more about profit than customer satisfaction. Installing a non-OEM tire, of the correct size, on a Spyder has NEVER been an issue with BRP - just like installing a non-OEM accessory. Also installing a non-OEM part does not void any part of the warranty unless it is reasonably deemed to have caused damage to other parts that would otherwise have been covered under warranty. That's really not an issue with a tire.

This whole issue is strictly a dealer problem. Many dealers install non-OEM tires that they do not carry in stock. I would think that most do, but I have never seen any sort of poll on this. My own dealer has no problem with it (as many others here have also stated over the years).
    Well, I've called around to Can Am dealers within a 200 mile radius, and none of them will install a non-OEM tire.

And this is precisely my point: if corporate BRP has no issue with dealers installing non-OEM tires, they need to get the word out so that all dealers are consistent about this. As I pointed out in my previous post, tires are perhaps the biggest friction point between Spyder riders and the dealerships.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    And this is precisely my point: if corporate BRP has no issue with dealers installing non-OEM tires, they need to get the word out so that all dealers are consistent about this. As I pointed out in my previous post, tires are perhaps the biggest friction point between Spyder riders and the dealerships.
    If BRP has no issue with installing non-OEM tires, there is really no point in their putting out such a communication. As I said, this is strictly a dealer issue. BRP should not involve themselves with it, and in fact, would be wise not to do so. I suspect that most all dealers already know this. Some just like to blame BRP, rather than have a customer upset with them about their own policy. Your guess is as good as mine as to why the policy exists with so many dealers. I expect it has more to do with a profit motive than anything else.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-30-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    BRP should not involve themselves with it, and in fact, would be wise not to do so.
    Strongly disagree. That a few dealers are being jerks reflects poorly on BRP in general. I would think BRP should be very concerned as to how this impacts their image of keeping customers happy. We shouldn't have to shop around to find a good dealer (repair shop capabilities side).

Spyder Garage

I just take mine to Ride Now and they sell and install a new OEM tire for $189. You pay the price of the tire and it includes install. I personally have had great luck with the OEM tires. No sore back in the morning and total price is $189. I'm a happy Camper! So there---why get your panties pulled up tight over which tire, mileage, what Mike thinks, sorting all the mouse turds from the sugar bowl etc.

Now isn't that easy. Check with Ann and Joe if you want the date when the new compound of the OEM tire began. Do not think any of the old compound is still in stock.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Jack, you do realise that the reason for the original compound change to that soft compound in the first place was due to the number of complaints about the poor grip & handling from the Kenda's don't you? So when BRP changed to a softer compound that got everyone complaining instead of just most people, changing back to the original compound didn't fix any of the pre-existing issues!!

Great 'customer service' ploy, isn't it?? Market something that generates complaints, then instead of actually fixing it, just replace it with something even worse!! That way, when you've got enough customer discontent built up about the crappy replacement product, you can go back to the original but still crap product & then customers will sing your praises, won't they?!

Hmmm, there seems to be something wrong in that scenario, but it is what we've had foisted upon us by BRP re their sub-standard choice of tires!! Alright, maybe no one else stepped up when they originally went to tire manufacturers for a tire & specified a unique size with a limited market potential. Surely, now that there is a lot of practical experience (at customer's risk & expense too) showing that other more common & marketable makes & sizes of tires DO work on the Spyders (& arguably work waaaay better than the Kenda's) it wouldn't be too hard for BRP to stop treating their customers like idiots on this one & 'approve' or endorse some of those alternative makes & sizes of tires?? Or does BRP think we actually like being treated like idiots??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-30-2016 at 08:12 PM.