Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
There are so many aspects involved in getting through twisties quickly that it's difficult to adequately assess why someone isn't doing as well as they think they should. The machine, in this case the Spyder, is just one aspect.

As with everything in life, you cannot excel beyond the weakest link. If that is the machine you're riding then that is where the improvements need to go. But the rider is also a huge factor.

The things I commonly see are;

1- Braking late and Hugging the inside line going into the turn. It's the natural thing to do and will get you into a lot of trouble every time. You must always start from the outside line, apex to the inside line and then accelerate going out of the turn as you fade back to the outside line as you exit the curve.

2- Looking right in front of your Spyder and looking where you DON'T want to go. Instead, you need to look well ahead of where you are and focus on where you WANT to go.

3- Trying to keep up with a better rider. Not riding within your comfort zone. Basically, getting in over your head.

All of these issues come very naturally. What comes naturally is usually the exact WRONG thing to do. Without understanding the dynamics of a curve and how it needs to be systematically approached. Going faster may well be a very bad idea.

Don't get me wrong. I am no expert. I've just spent a bit of time studying the techniques needed to do it right. And they make all the difference in the world.
Most comments are pointed toward the bike, when in actuality, your position on the bike, and where you're looking are very important. Ron's #2 points that out. Don't try to keep up if you don't feel comfortable. The last thing ya wanna do is wreck your Spyder, or your body....It'll come with experience.....just keep looking as far down the road as you can, and your arms will steer you there