Spyder Garage

Default Monday pickup- Vibration and Tracking

So it looks like I pick up my new F3-L on Monday.

I should expect vibration at around 60-70 mph on the freeways on the way home and should be overjoyed if I don't get it, but if I do, call Smoothspyder for a belt tensioner immediately. It will be interesting to see if the dealer volunteers that I should expect vibration. If he doesn't, I'll mention it to him and watch his response. He's a pretty good unit, so the response should be interesting.

I will take it for a 15 minute freeway run before I head off on the 3 hour trip home just to ensure tracking is OK. I assume if the F3 runs straight with no bar input, it is aligned ok. If not, I take it back to the dealer, who is authorised to use the Outlaw laser track system, to get them to set it right before I head off.

Thanks for all the invaluable pre pickup information that I have gleaned from here. It has been an incredible help. I have already ordered a gazillion farkles, including the led lights and fog lights, Seal floorboards, TPMS, mirror indicators, grip puppies, Baker wings. I will source a belly pan locally, and make my mind up on the Bajaron sway bar and F4 screen after I have ridden it for a while.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 07-27-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRACKING & ALIGNMENT

IMHO the alignment will have to be off considerably for you to tell by driving it...... normally it shows up after 2000 mi. or so in your tire wear pattern................and a lot of folks have discovered that LOWER belt tension has improved or eliminated those vibrations ................................good luck..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO the alignment will have to be off considerably for you to tell by driving it...... normally it shows up after 2000 mi. or so in your tire wear pattern................and a lot of folks have discovered that LOWER belt tension has improved or eliminated those vibrations ................................good luck..............Mike
    Thanks Mike......so it looks like I make sure they have done the full Oulaw alignment as part of the commission phase before I leave the shop.......and I look for a lower belt tensioner ....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congrats👍
    If yours is a 2016 F3 LMTD, SmoothSpyder does Not yet have a belt tensioner for it. (Pending)
    Just spoke to Jim there (7/25/16), and he's testing one still. I was bugging him for one for mine 😁

Here's hoping for a Smooth and Safe ride on your new machine 🏍

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations. ...

Forget all you have read here and head out for a great ryde. You will enjoy the heck out of it if you are not looking for other peoples problems. Congrats on a fine choice
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Remember

The vibration is not going to hurt anything, and that you will feel it for only a brief moment, unless you plan to cruise right at that RPM level. Just enjoy the ryde don't worry about any of it. People have planted these things in your head, when you haven't even picked up the bike yet! Relax and enjoy the ryde. I picked up my F3L last week and it tracks really true, but I will have Squared Away align it at the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally because they are really good people and will tell it like it is. If it doesn't need an alignment they will tell me. Don't go making a lot of changes before you even ryde the motorcycle. Get a feel for it first. Then wipe the grin off your face and make an informed decision based on what YOU feel, not what people on this forum feel! And on the new enjoy!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Chupaca and Pirate,

I'm not really worried, and I am indeed relaxed ... I have spent many many years weeding out the wheat from the chaff......it's just that thanks to those on this forum I now know that if I do experience vibration at those speeds on the way home, it's nothing to worry about and can be addressed. The same goes for the tracking.....if I can get the dealer to do the Outlaw alignment before I leave the shop (and he may do that by default), I don't have to worry about a 6 hour freeway round trip to get it done later.

I will indeed only be making changes based on my feeling from the ride.....apart from cosmetic farkles like led lights etc I just have to remember NOT to counter steer, NOT to put my feet down and NOT to strangle the bars......all very difficult after 40 years on two wheels

thanks again,
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default That's the spirit

Life is short......have fun.......ryde more! If you do have to bring it back I can tell you 6 hours on the Spyder are better than any other vehicle!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Hey Pete, you getting twitchy yet?? It's not long now....

Where are you picking it up from??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hey Pete, you getting twitchy yet?? It's not long now....

Where are you picking it up from??
    Brisans in Newcastle, Peter. They seem pretty good, and have an excellent, knowledgable Spyder sales guy in Kevin Stewart....

I actually went in there once before, about 12 months ago, looking to either buy another Vision or a Chieftain, and I was so disappointed with the disinterested Indian sales guy that I didn't take it any further. When you ask what I consider is a fairly reasonable question "OK, why should I buy from Brisans rather than Victory/ Indian Sydney where I have bought my previous bikes when I lived in Sydney?", and get a response of " what? You mean like a hundred bucks off or something?", you tend to lose faith in the dealership capabilities and their customer focus almost immediately.

Fortunately I have a mate who told me to give them another go, asking for Kevin, and the rest is history.

Am I getting twitchy? I just posted on the F3 forum

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.