Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs Bike In The Comfort Stakes.

Well people I'm curious as to whether or not the Spyder is more comfortable when doing long distance rides. Do you find that you can spend a lot longer in the saddle compared to a bike? I'm referring to the F3-S and sport models as it's pretty obvious with touring models.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't call it that obvious. Honestly, my Victory Vision is definitely more comfortable for long hauls. I've done 1100 mile days on the Vision. My butt would be sore for a week if I tried that on the RT

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Spyder Garage

I'm comfortable in my F3S... Love it
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't ride as far in a day on my '14 RTL as I did on my '99 Harley Softail. That being said, I had a Mustang Wide Regal Solo seat on my Harley. My Spyder with the OEM seat is good for a 350 day. Beyond that it becomes somewhat uncomfortable.

Spyder Garage

Default bike vs Spyder for comfort?

Everybody's "comfort" is different.

M'lady and I put in 600-mile days easy enough on our Suzuki 650 V-Strom (Corbin seat), but are pretty well done after 300 miles on the RT-Limited (also with a Corbin, plus swaybar and F4 windshield).

We've down-sized to an F3-S now (stock seat), but so far we've only gotten in an 80-mile jaunt. However, it was wunnerful.
    Expect it'll get better.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by subdude17349 View Post
    I wouldn't call it that obvious. Honestly, my Victory Vision is definitely more comfortable for long hauls. I've done 1100 mile days on the Vision. My butt would be sore for a week if I tried that on the RT
    I don't know that I'd agree with that. I did my first 1,000 mile Iron Butt on my Victory Vision and it was relatively comfortable (compared to some of the others in my group that were on Harleys).

My second Iron Butt was on my RT, and I found it equally comfortable. I did each run in about 17 hours, and there was no extraordinary fatique on either ride.

I say they're about equal in long range comfort, with the RT having a slight edge for not having to put my feet down at stops. But the Vision gets comfort points for leg room, which the RT lacks.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you did an 1,100 mile day on the RT.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I was much more comfortable on the wing for long days. the constand side to side rocking motion on the RT really bothers my neck and shoulders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I was much more comfortable on the wing for long days. the constand side to side rocking motion on the RT really bothers my neck and shoulders
    Sounds like you need to talk to BajaRon about a sway bar. Makes a world of difference.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

1,100 miles If you can average 65 miles an hour with no stops for gas,food, bathroom its like 17 hours. I have done comfortable 450 and 500 but 350 a day is plenty enough for me and thert does it easy.
    I do not no know how often you want to do 1,100 a day but good luck I hope you find what your looking for.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Sounds like you need to talk to BajaRon about a sway bar. Makes a world of difference.

Pam
    +1 on Baja Ron!

Comfort seat, 880 miles first day, 500 day two.

2010 RT-S
    1. Check fluids & tire pressures.
    2. Start bike.
    3. Hold on.
    4. Full throttle.
    5. Repeat 3-5.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our GS has risers, comfort seat and luggage. It's a much better tourer than our sportbikes. But except for the twisty roads, then the Spyder feels like a pig.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I bought a RS for my wife because she couldn't ride her ninja. She rode it solo a few times but got worse she rides on the back now. Stock rs seat i was hurting in 15 or 20 minutes. By an 1 hr, i was reaally hurtin.
    Risrers and the comfort seat, plus madstad shield, now i can go for hours

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I tend to agree with you regarding the 'wing. I found that very comfortable, but since I installed the Tri-Axis bars, I find that the RT is much improved for my neck and shoulders.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco068 View Post
    Well people I'm curious as to whether or not the Spyder is more comfortable when doing long distance rides. Do you find that you can spend a lot longer in the saddle compared to a bike? I'm referring to the F3-S and sport models as it's pretty obvious with touring models.
    Ross,

What do you call long distance? What sort of bike? A Goldwing, Road Glide, Vision etc will allow a much longer time in the bike saddle than a Fat Boy or a Ninja for example.

That's a near impossible question to answer. Some people can hop on the Victory Vision and ride all day. I could only last 40 minutes on the Vision when I first got it before a bum rest stop was required. Once I installed taller bars, Daylong seat and highway pegs to suit my frame, I had no trouble going all day with only food and fuel stops.

Hopefully I will have my F3-L set up to tour all day before I pick it up with what I have spent on it based on comments from here, but...........

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pam
    What will a sway bar do for the Spyder 2014 RTS Thanks

Spyder Garage

That sounds great folks, even with the OEM seat, 480km is pretty fantastic. Also I'd only have to do one refill of fuel .

Spyder Garage

Difficult question to answer because the ergonomics on any bike is different. Even taking two bikes of the same make and model your experience would be different depending on how the owners had positioned the bars etc. In my case the stock bars, pegs etc on my RS 2011 are positioned just right.

So removing ergonomics from this what your left with is the ride experience.

I would say the Spyder is harder physically if your riding hard and/or on twisty roads for long journeys (which I normally am). But I also find I don't suffer from cramp etc like I have on some bikes because it's easier to move position.

I would also say mentally it's easier to ride, I'm more relaxed riding the Spyder because of the safety net of nanny. That makes a big difference when doing endurance rides.

I find when I'm doing multi-day endurance events I'm quite happy getting on the Spyder each morning and don't have any aches etc. from the previous day's riding even when I've only had 3 or 4 hours rest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Difficult question to answer because the ergonomics on any bike is different. Even taking two bikes of the same make and model your experience would be different depending on how the owners had positioned the bars etc. In my case the stock bars, pegs etc on my RS 2011 are positioned just right.

So removing ergonomics from this what your left with is the ride experience.

I would say the Spyder is harder physically if your riding hard and/or on twisty roads for long journeys (which I normally am). But I also find I don't suffer from cramp etc like I have on some bikes because it's easier to move position.

I would also say mentally it's easier to ride, I'm more relaxed riding the Spyder because of the safety net of nanny. That makes a big difference when doing endurance rides.

I find when I'm doing multi-day endurance events I'm quite happy getting on the Spyder each morning and don't have any aches etc. from the previous day's riding even when I've only had 3 or 4 hours rest.
    This is exactly what I'm looking for PistonBlown.

Spyder Garage

"1100 mile days", now that's a lot.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

MelloYelloSpyder

Pam
    That side to side lateral movement is not necessarily cured by a sway bar. In my part of Michigan it is caused by the crappy paving jobs these road crews do around here. You can tell just by looking at the roads you are going to get that rocking motion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is easier to ride...
    (Road surface issues become a non-issue...)
    There's usually a bit less worrying: you ARE easier to see on the Spyder, due to the extra width. (of the bike)
    It might depend on the type of riding...
    Twisties are more fun, and easier on the 'leaner".
    Out on the "slabs": the Spyder wins...
    I've done 600 mile days on my 'Wing, and 640 mile days on my RT. I was mentally tired, but physically fine.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I returned from a long 3 day trip last night. Yesterday I rode different roads and did over 700 miles that day. I left the the blue ridge parkway after a 400 mile day of BRP and spent the night in Buena Vista Va. Yesterday I went to New River Gorge in WVA and to Beckley WVA and picked up route 16 and did over 100 miles of turns. The last 32 miles is up and down with 260 curves, Back of the Dragon, write ups in various magazines. I have ridden this route on a Goldwing and a ST 1300 and enjoyed the Spyder the most. The wing and ST were feeling heavy at the end of 100 miles of turns. Occasional sand and a passing rain made me feel safer. Finished at 3 PM and decided to head to Columbus, Ga., home about 500 miles away. A road closure in Knoxville caused a delay, a hot seat in the 102 heat. Arrived at midnight with over 700 different types of miles. My F3 T limited is rigged for touring. It came with saddle bags and I bought a Saddleman tail bag for long trips and a Mustang seat, with sheet skin pad and an X-stream mount for my tallboy windshield. Also passenger and operator backrests. I like the F3 T because I can easily change from cruiser to tourer by changing accessaries. Also have hitch and 622 trailer for when my grandson wants to join me on a long trip. This is my 3rd Spyder, previous 2011 rts and 2014 rtl with Ultimate seat used on both. This is a more comfortable seat but not yet available for F3. On my 2 previous RTs, I made many long rides including, from Ga., to Calif.(solo) and Alaska each 7000+ miles. I am 74 now and the Spyder keeps me riding with confidence. I have 3 trips with over 700 mile days since buying my F3 in Feb. I also have 2015 Honda CTX which I also enjoy.

Spyder Garage

IMO the OEM seat on the spyder would be a killer, a good seat would make a lot of difference. I have an Ultimate, and I agree with BajaRon's bar making the ride better.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. But personalizing ANY bike; should be about making it better anyway!
    I've never had a bike, that I've just ridden; they ALL get some tinkering!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another data point. I have over the years, ridden 300+ miles from Denver to Durango on a GSX-R, a VFR750, and the Spyder. The super sport was the most fun, the sport tourer the next most fun and the Spyder the least fun in the twisties. But comfort wise, the order was reversed. I could relax and cruise along on the Spyder all day long, whereas on the sport bike my shoulders were screaming after a 2hr stint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow