Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I'm not cool. I wave with an open hand and wear a helmet.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Long time listener, first time caller...

I typically wave with 2 fingers although I had no idea about the wheels thing.

However, in the rare case when I see another Spyder rider, I tend to spaz out a little and wave with both hands and kind of body wiggle.

Fortunately, I have only seen three other Spyders. So far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default We all do that

That's not unusual to go into total Spaz mode on the rare occasion that we come across another Spyder. We usually have anywhere from 10 to 30 others with us an on one occasion we passed an RT and they turned around and joined our group of 22 spyders! Very cool!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

2 fingers for bikes
    3 fingers for trikes
    Sportbike and Harley guys/gals wave almost always
    Goldwing riders seldom wave at anyone....

His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I have always done the inverted two finger wave in my 40 years of riding. When others don't wave back, I just say a cuss word, and then I feel better about the whole situation.
    I never wave first....it would pisses me off if I waved and they didn't wave back. But I always return waves.
    Last edited by Buggy; 07-28-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Long time listener, first time caller...
    I typically wave with 2 fingers although I had no idea about the wheels thing.
    However, in the rare case when I see another Spyder rider, I tend to spaz out a little and wave with both hands and kind of body wiggle.
    Fortunately, I have only seen three other Spyders. So far.

Relax: there are absolutely NO rules about this kind of thing.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just wave hello by lifting my hand and giving it a little shake.
    It's also based on the situation.
    For instance, I rarely wave on the Mohawk Trail.
    Ride the Mohawk Trail on a Sunday and if you wave to all the riders, you'll have to with steer your feet.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 07-28-2016 at 06:20 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    However, in the rare case when I see another Spyder rider, I tend to spaz out a little and wave with both hands and kind of body wiggle
    Yep Spyders always get the big wave from me but I was very offended the other day when two of them didn't wave back!

Spyder Garage

^^ They were probably so surprised at seeing another Spyder that they just froze up!!

Didja pop a U'ee & chase them down??

I often find that Spyders we've just passed going the other way hesitate & sorta look around/wait to see what you are doing before continuing on their way at their previous speed (unless they are going somewhere in a hurry or they have a pressing need elsewhere of course) & a quick (but safe) 'U' turn will often catch them just a coupla hundred metres up the road where a quick exchange of info can lead to lasting friendships. Met lots of 'new' (to me) Spyder Ryders that way, they are usually so surprised at seeing another Spyder that they just didn't get a chance to respond to the wave from me - of course, that could also have something to do with how fast I was travelling too!

As for waving in general, I just wave at whatever in the most convenient way at the time. No real 'pattern' or specific technique; sometimes it's just lifting a couple of fingers on the nearest hand, other times it's a full on 'whole hand off the handle bars' thing & a full on wave; & I have been known to use just about every waving technique or method in between! AND I wave to 2wheelers of all sorts, Harley Riders (wannabee's or 'real', duz'nmatta!) Sports Bikes, Cruisers, Trikes, Scooters, & even the odd quad - and since I've been fairly heavily involved in the transport world in a variety of ways over many years now & most 'regular road users' out there (locally at least) know me & what I ryde these days, I often wave or get waved to by Police, Ambo's, Firie's, Truckers, 4Wheelers, Taxi Drivers, farmers on their tractors, & car or truck fanatics of all types!!

I don't really think HOW you wave matters all that much, nor really WHO you wave to; just the fact that you DO wave; simply that you are out there enjoying yourself & greeting other road users is what it's all about - and there's no score sheet either, so who cares if they don't wave back, altho I do try to always acknowledge a polite wave directed my way from other road users!! Just between you'n me, I have a different way of 'acknowledging' the 'not polite' waves, but let's not go into that here!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll wave to ALL other riders...
    But I'll never stop long the road; just to visit with somebody that I don't know...
    (My Momma would get upset! )

Spyder Garage

Default Even bicycles

I have always waived. Year ago when I switched from a Harley to a Ducati, I lost my "bro card". As time has progressed, it seems that the brand of bike has little influence on "the wave". Now I even wave at bicyclists. They share the same exihiaration of having the wind in your face AND they share the same risks. To me, the wave signifies the solidarity in our unique form of transportation.
    Wave on.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For years I rode bicycles long distances. The one thing that really surprised me when I started was the number of motorcyclists who would give "the wave" as I was riding. Took me by surprise but I never failed to wave back. The biggest percentage of riders who would wave were Harley riders. Almost without exception, the Harley riders who waved were the true dyed-in-the-wool bikers, not the recent converts without any dirt under their fingernails.

Now that we are riding a Spyder my wife gets a laugh when I wave at others. Maybe it's because I am one of those who waves at everyone one a bike...........including bicyclists and scooter riders. After all, I like to see someone smile.

Spyder Garage

I always wave back becuz I know what a lot of them think about Spyders. Except I'll wave first at trikes or other Spyders cuz usually they'll wave back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ...and since I've been fairly heavily involved in the transport world in a variety of ways over many years now & most 'regular road users' out there (locally at least) know me & what I ryde these days, I often wave or get waved to by Police, Ambo's, Firie's, Truckers, 4Wheelers, Taxi Drivers, farmers on their tractors, & car or truck fanatics of all types!!
    When I'm not riding my Spyder I'm in my old Datsun ute and being rural NZ everyone waves when I'm driving in that - mind you they have a lot more time to react with that as well:-)

Spyder Garage

Default The Wave

I was raised in a little CT town in the 40/50s. Worked at a dairy and peddled milk , to get college money. Everyone waved at A Parkers' Dairy truck. They were mostly all customers. And we always waved back. Three police cars in town. Always wave at the police. Fast forward to today in a little town in N. GA. '83 Magna, '86 Helix and 2011 red RTS.
    I still wave at all bikes and Police regardless of what I ride and where I am. Most wave back, Get a middle fingers when some realize I'm on my Helix, but that's ok too. If they don't wave back, it's their loss.One of our daughters lives about 15 miles down the road and has a white SUV. Do you realize how similar those models are? I wave at every one I see when around her neighborhood. I'm sure they think "look at that old pervert waving at all the women." That's ok, when it really is Jen, she appreciates it and that's what counts. Y'all have a good day.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

I've been waving since the early '70s. We waved then to acknowledge another rider. I never heard of this "two wheels" stuff until the 2000s.

And I still wave (when it's safe) to acknowledge other riders. Some wave back, some don't, just like they have the last 40 plus years.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Eggselent!

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    .......... "waives the wave".

Very good point. One does not need a written waiver, the wave is not mandatory.

Unless it's a little kid. Always wave at little kids. They might grow up to be bigger than you!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LHpuutsCydc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I think what Jack is saying in his own less than literate style, is that he "waives the wave".

Pam

You get a big "A" for perception Pam. Was wondering if anyone would catch the Waive vs Wave.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I figured that you were just a lousy speller...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I figured that you were just a lousy speller...

I resemble that remark!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I only wave at people exactly like me.

Spyder Garage

I, like many here have always done the "two fingers down" to acknowledge the other riders. I also use the same salute to any and all law enforcement to acknowledge them as well........until last year.
    Apparently a very grumpy sheriff thought for some reason that "wave" was me giving him the finger! He could have knocked me over with a feather when he asked me why I "flipped him off".
    I still acknowledge the law enforcement out there when I'm on the bike, but it's with a salute now.
    It's funny now, but I thought I was gonna get a free ride that day!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I waive the wave at all riders, if you choose to acknowledge great, if not no worries. Their call, some riders too cool for that ya know.