Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Cancel Switch

Has anyone installed a cancel switch for the cruise control? I would like to have another way to cancel other than the brake switch or turning off the cruise. Thanks.

Mark in GA
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pushing to the left doesn't work on yours?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just read that again. You don't want to turn cruise off. 10-4. Don't mind me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

You don't have to brake, you can shift gears and that will do the same thing. Also there is a built in adjust on the cruise control where you can tap up once to add 1 mph, or down once to reduce speed 1 mph very handy!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere in one of the forum rooms that someone did just that. They drilled a hole in the switch housing on the left side and ran wires to appropiate areas. I don't know how to add a link to the right post.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Read the recent PTT switch installation post about a week back. I suggested using his push button for cruise cancel and it looks somewhat easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Some food for thought. Our Spyders can decelerate faster than most cars. If you tap the brake you momentarily activate the brake lights, potentially cautioning someone behind you that something is happening. Assuming they are paying attention...

That's why it's my preferred method of disconnecting the cruise. I want the brake lights to come on.

Thought I would offer this FWIW.

Spyder Garage

I would like a cancel button as well cause im used to it in my other vehicles. but like said above the engine break on the spyders is crazy and I hate when I turn the cruise off how it jolts you forward. which a cancel button will do the same thing. It always puts my wifes head into mine.

so what I do is go on the throttle a little bit to maintain speed and I lightly hit the breaks. no jolt forward and works wonders.

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It must be my simple mind: I'm not seeing an actual need for another way to cancel the cruise control...
    Don't you already have enough ways to kill it?
    Brakes
    Shifting
    Turning it off
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default True

But imagine this Bob. He develops this switch and before long he is a SL Sponsor and selling it to hundreds across the country! Just another Farklees some will want to have.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy reading all the comments, and all are valid. Previous bike was GL1800 and it had a couple of ways to cancel the cruise without cutting it off. My reason for wanting this is, when cruising down the highway and you see traffic slowing ahead or you want to just slow down for reduced speed zone, tapping a cancel switch makes sense rather than tapping the brakes.
    As for the PTT button, it is a circuit pad type switch on a small ribbon cable and is not easy to work with without risking damage.
    I will continue to work on this idea and when I get it worked out I will share my findings. I love doing mods, but I only do them if I can make it work simply and consistently.

Spyder Garage

Any push button should be 10 amps which would more than handle paralleling the brake switch. I haven't looked but it should just be a no/nc micro switch.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes, shifting will disengage CC, however, if you are in 6 and cruising along pretty good, downshifting to 5 is not cool.

I have tried to actuate the shifter paddle to disengage by faking an upshift to 7. CC remains engaged.
    I guess that is another good reason to have a manual shift. You just pull in the clutch and that de-activates the CC, leaving it in the same gear. I usually just lightly tap my brake pedal and give it just a bit of throttle and there is no discernible deceleration.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It must be my simple mind: I'm not seeing an actual need for another way to cancel the cruise control...
    Don't you already have enough ways to kill it?
    Brakes
    Shifting
    Turning it off

thanks for reading my mind(lol),

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was just like reading an excellent comic book!

Actually: if the OP sees traffic slowing down ahead; wouldn't applying, or at least tapping the brakes, seem to be a natural thing to do?

Since I'm so simple: I like to follow the K.I.S.S principle!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-27-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

I agree "downshifting" will turn off the cruise but that will cause a more rapid deceleration. It's too bad that BRP just didn't allow for one more up shift (already in 6th gear) to cancel the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree "downshifting" will turn off the cruise but that will cause a more rapid deceleration. It's too bad that BRP just didn't allow for one more up shift (already in 6th gear) to cancel the cruise.

Another upshift?
    To where: seventh gear?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know a heckuva lot more about this, than I do...
    I bow to your wizardry!

Spyder Garage

Do you have a cancel button for the CC in your cage? If not what makes the spyders CC so different that you need one on it? I don't understand why anybody would think this a faulty design.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't drive a cage much anymore, so I don't feel qualified to discuss their systems.
    But I DO remember that they have "Off-Buttons", and a quick touch of the brake pedal, to kill the cruise control...
    The Missus has a RAV4, and I have used that one: no "cancel" button (That I remember!)

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    Do you have a cancel button for the CC in your cage? If not what makes the spyders CC so different that you need one on it? I don't understand why anybody would think this a faulty design.
    Why yes, yes I do...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

To clarify a bit, my personal situation is that I have a bad right knee and the movement to just tap the brake sometimes causes my knee to get a painful "catch" in it. So, that's where this idea got started.
    By canceling cc you don't lose the set speed in cc memory like you do when simply cut it off. And, yes, every car I have owned with factory cc has had a cancel switch of some kind. Just saying...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MS_Spyderman View Post
    To clarify a bit, my personal situation is that I have a bad right knee and the movement to just tap the brake sometimes causes my knee to get a painful "catch" in it. So, that's where this idea got started.
    By canceling cc you don't lose the set speed in cc memory like you do when simply cut it off. And, yes, every car I have owned with factory cc has had a cancel switch of some kind. Just saying...
    Ok, I understand your reasons, but the only vehicles I ever owned with CC have been Fords and they don't have a cancel button, unless it's the upper end ones which I've never owned.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to have it also. HD has the right idea, just roll the throttle forward and it's off. Hit resume when you want it again. Much better. Than having to tap the brake. JMHO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    yes I do have a cancel button on the cruise control on the car. I don't have to turn it off,I don't have to touch the brakes and I don't have to downshift. I just touch that button and it cancels. Not having it is so 20th century

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze