Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parking

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim,
    Whether you back or, or pull in: it doesn't matter, if the roadside-end of the bike is over the line, and sticking out into traffic...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll use motorcycle only parking when available and other spots if not. I'll also park in a way that I consider the safest for my spyder and the space provided. That may mean to pull in or back into the space. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT ABOUT WALMART

I see a lot of bikes that park in the yellow stripes at the front of the lanes at Walmart etc. Not in handicapped spots, but in the areas at the end. Leaners fit there fine...and I have never seen one ticketed...what about the Spyders, do any of you park in these areas ?
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't go near most Wal-Mart stores; if I've got the Spyder with me...

Spyder Garage

Its perfectly acceptable. Traditional Trikes do, so there is no reason that you should not...but, at the end of the day...do as your conciense allows...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jim,
    Whether you back or, or pull in: it doesn't matter, if the roadside-end of the bike is over the line, and sticking out into traffic...

Bob, that wasn't my question. I was asking why you said you wouldn't back into a curb?
    Originally Posted by Bob Denman I'll park where it is advantageous for me to do so...

I don't back up to curbs...
    As for sticking my nose into traffic, I already told you, twice, it wasn't into traffic, it was into a bicycle lane. That lane is 3' wide, no cars allowed. and it is a complete non-issue.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

In parking lots I take a space just like a car but I park close the end so I am easily seen before someone tries to pull in. On the street it depends on the situation. I have parallel parked where there no lines and I have backed in on a diagonal when there other bikes.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    I see a lot of bikes that park in the yellow stripes at the front of the lanes at Walmart etc. Not in handicapped spots, but in the areas at the end. Leaners fit there fine...and I have never seen one ticketed...what about the Spyders, do any of you park in these areas ?
    I see it occasionally, and if it is not in fact a part of the handicapped zone, I will park there sometimes.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

In Minnesota, and I would assume other states, some of our retailers make a specific area labeled for motorcycles. Thus is usually a rectangular area and paved in cement rather than blacktop. Motorcycles need these area due to the kickstand digging into blacktop on hot days. I will park my Spyder in a regular car slot to ensure the two wheelers have room for their special needs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default At Work

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    It may be the way the picture was shot, but what is that lane ( 2 solid white lines) in front of the bikes which looks too narrow for a traffic lane.
    Prolly a bicycle lane.

2 jobs ago, one of the riders talked the grounds & safety departments into designating couple of motorcycle parking spots. Those sorry sapsuckers put the spots way in the back, as far from the building as possible. Maybe one of us had ticked them off. We tried to explain that the kickstands were tearing up the (new) black top, but got no understanding.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Bob, that wasn't my question. I was asking why you said you wouldn't back into a curb?

As for sticking my nose into traffic, I already told you, twice, it wasn't into traffic, it was into a bicycle lane. That lane is 3' wide, no cars allowed. and it is a complete non-issue.
    I guess that you would have no problem, if a bicyclist caught your bike with a pedal...

...Or flipped up over the nose of your bike!

It's never a non-issue, when you leave your bike out where something silly can happen to it...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-17-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I guess that you would have no problem, if a bicyclist caught your bike with a pedal...

...Or flipped up over the nose of your bike!

It's never a non-issue, when you leave your bike out where something silly can happen to it...
    If, if if. Get real. A bicyclist could hit my bike behind the line too. Oh horror of horrors we put our bikes in public where something might happen to it!

Still ignoring my question I see.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Your Spyder takes up the same amount of space as a Smart Car. Park it between the lines and be done with it, for heaven's sake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Your Spyder takes up the same amount of space as a Smart Car. Park it between the lines and be done with it, for heaven's sake.
    You are not allowed to park it parallel to the curb in motorcycle only parking. Motorcycle parking is free, car parking is $20 a day. I'll take free and hope the bicycle riders are not as stupid as Bob seems to think they are.

Oh, and I back in. The front is more obvious than the back, less likely for those stupid bicycle riders to not see the front than the back!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    I see it occasionally, and if it is not in fact a part of the handicapped zone, I will park there sometimes.
    i got a ticket here in Oshawa last summer at Walmart parking in a corner on the yellow lines , saw other bikes there since but $30 isn't worth the risk for me again

Spyder Garage

Default Parking

I personally hate to see any motorcycles parked in the "yellow striped" areas .....sends a bad message to people.It isn't a "privledged" parking spot because your on a bike and too lazy to walk a little farther. About as bad as the people who have a handicapped sticker for no apparent reason other than they got a doctor to sign for one so they can have a "free, close" parking pass. If you really have a need for it great, but I see numerous violations and abuse daily especially at the health club I attend [go figure] For me it is a major pet peeve of mine. Majority of the time the person with the handicap isn't even in the vehicle or being picked up which in most states then makes it illegal for the driver to be parked in the handicapped spot........rant done. Safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please give a bit of a break, to the folks with Handicapped plates and stickers. Not all disabilities are as visible as you'd like them to be.

The Tag 001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    i got a ticket here in Oshawa last summer at Walmart parking in a corner on the yellow lines , saw other bikes there since but $30 isn't worth the risk for me again
    In the US you can't get a ticket for parking incorrectly except for safety or handicap violations on private property. You certainly can be towed if the owner calls a tow company.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Bob Denman, I keep and open mind about people who use handicapped parking spaces but as you can see from the criteria I've reprinted from below that most handicaps would be evident in some form. I'm talking about the people that pull up an use a handicapped spot that appear healthy, jump out of their vehicle without an issue and make their way to the place their headed faster than I can and i'm not handicapped.....or i see them later in the gym playing raquetball or whatever that's physically demanding. All they are doing is taking/using a spot for someone that really could use the parking spot . Their biggest handicap appears to be laziness. Just watch sometime when your out and about and don't have anything else to do. Enough said. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Handicapped Parking Permit Eligibilty
    Check with your own state to find out the specific criteria regarding who qualifies for disabled parking. Most common conditions include:

• Lung disease, inability to walk 200 ft. without rest or assistance
    • Heart disease, inability to walk 200 ft. without rest or assistance
    • Substantially impaired mobility, for example, use of a wheelchair, brace, or cane
    • A disease that significantly limits your ability walk or to use your legs
    • Documented vision problems, Blindness, including low-vision or partial sightedness
    • Loss of one or both legs or loss of both hands, or limited use of these parts
    • Use of oxygen apparatus
    • Person issued the permit must be present or must be being picked up or delivered
    Last edited by trikerbiker645; 01-18-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Please give a bit of a break, to the folks with Handicapped plates and stickers. Not all disabilities are as visible as you'd like them to be.
    Yeah, I agree completely Bob, but I believe Trikerbiker's comments were aimed more at the able bodied minority who park in the spots even when the person with disability is not with them. Mind you, even then, there could be a very valid reason they have to get in and out of the carpark very quickly to get back home to provide care, so it doesn't really bother me if they use the spot in a vehicle with a disabled sticker.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    Bob Denman, I keep and open mind about people who use handicapped parking spaces but as you can see from the criteria I've reprinted from below that most handicaps would be evident in some form. I'm talking about the people that pull up an use a handicapped spot that appear healthy, jump out of their vehicle without an issue and make their way to the place their headed faster than I can and i'm not handicapped.....or i see them later in the gym playing raquetball or whatever that's physically demanding. All they are doing is taking/using a spot for someone that really could use the parking spot . Their biggest handicap appears to be laziness. Just watch sometime when your out and about and don't have anything else to do. Enough said. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Handicapped Parking Permit Eligibilty
    Check with your own state to find out the specific criteria regarding who qualifies for disabled parking. Most common conditions include:

• Lung disease, inability to walk 200 ft. without rest or assistance
    • Heart disease, inability to walk 200 ft. without rest or assistance
    • Substantially impaired mobility, for example, use of a wheelchair, brace, or cane
    • A disease that significantly limits your ability walk or to use your legs
    • Documented vision problems, Blindness, including low-vision or partial sightedness
    • Loss of one or both legs or loss of both hands, or limited use of these parts
    • Use of oxygen apparatus
    • Person issued the permit must be present or must be being picked up or delivered
    Thanks for the list.
    Please note that I've got three of them... but I'd be just as ugly; whether I had them or not!

Spyder Garage

Default parking

Bob Denman, and I hope that you are always able to find your handicapped spot and that they aren't being used by "posers"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really don't make too much of a deal about it...
    If a couple of spots are open: I'll consider using one.
    If not: I can deal with the walk.
    It's just that with bad eyes, heart, legs, and feet: things could really be a whole lot worse!