Spyder Garage

Default getting my licence.

I have owned my spyder for 4 months and am loving every minute. I have my permit but would like to get my licence before summer is done. I live in upstate NY. I have been on the DMV site, but I can't find what they expect of you during the test. Has anyone from NY taken it and if so, would you share your experience? I would really love a 3-wheel course, but I have been unable to find one here in NY. Does anyone know of any courses where I could get my licence at the end of it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Liecha View Post
    I have owned my spyder for 4 months and am loving every minute. I have my permit but would like to get my licence before summer is done. I live in upstate NY. I have been on the DMV site, but I can't find what they expect of you during the test. Has anyone from NY taken it and if so, would you share your experience? I would really love a 3-wheel course, but I have been unable to find one here in NY. Does anyone know of any courses where I could get my licence at the end of it?
    Someone from NY please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Motorcycle Safety Program for NY offers a three wheel course like the one here in PA does. However, they do supply the bike (usually a little 250cc) and helmet (if you need one). Once completed, you get a DMV waiver that allows you to upgrade your permit to a full 'M' stamp without having to take the test through the DMV.

It really is worth it to take the course because the basic rider safety info applies if you are on two or three wheels. Here is a link: http://www.nysmsp.org/Default.aspx

Spyder Garage

Try this site. I got it from Can Am BPR:

http://can-am.brp.com/content/dam/ca...olsList-US.pdf

Your dealer might be able to help you too. good luck and welcome to the family.

Ryde safe.
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Getting my licence

Thank you for the posts to my questions. I appreciate your time to assist me. I have researched the courses and there are no courses in new york for the 3 wheeler. There are some in Pennsylvania but I would not get a licence for NY so we have opted to just take the test here in NY. What kind of maneuvers are required for the test. I know that a motorcycle, you have to do a figure 8, but that is difficult for a 3 wheeler, so do they have you do that? What else is expected?

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Illinois motorcycle rules of the road book tells what they require and shows a diagram with measurements. Possibly New York does the same. If not stop at a driver license facility and ask.

Spyder Garage

It is not required to take a course to get your license. If you have been riding for 4 months, you can easily pass the NYS DMV road test. I took mine in Monticello, NY. The test lasted 5 minutes (not kidding) I was instructed
    to ride down the block, make a right at a stop sign, do a "K" turn and return, test done. My wife drove behind with the DMV person.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Though it may not be necessary to take the MSF basic course to get your license, I'd recommend it anyway. When you complete it successfully, your insurance company will probably give you a discount.

I took the course on their provided 2-wheelers and didn't have any problems.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
    It is not required to take a course to get your license. If you have been riding for 4 months, you can easily pass the NYS DMV road test. I took mine in Monticello, NY. The test lasted 5 minutes (not kidding) I was instructed
    to ride down the block, make a right at a stop sign, do a "K" turn and return, test done. My wife drove behind with the DMV person.
    ​Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "K" turn?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    ​Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "K" turn?
    What us old folks used to call a three point turn.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

Though it may not be necessary to take the MSF basic course to get your license, I'd recommend it anyway. When you complete it successfully, your insurance company will probably give you a discount.

I took the course on their provided 2-wheelers and didn't have any problems.

I took the MSF course on a 250 Honda that they provided and used the helmet that they provided too. I would strongly recommend that you take the MSF course, even if it's on two wheels. YOU WILL LEARN A GREAT DEAL OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO LEARN THE HARD WAY!!!

I took the test that they give as part of the course........it is given under the purview of the state of Illinois. You get a card in the mail in about 10 to 12 days that shows you successfully completed the course and can take to the DMV where they will issue you a new motorcycle license for $10. I got a class M license that allows operating any type of motorcycle. My insurance company didn't accept it for a discount, they require you to complete one of theirs.

Spyder Garage
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

It is probably going to be easier than you think. Linda was scarred to death by the intimidating road test--she thought. She held off for more than a season and drove the on her permit.

Test day--the two in front of her flunked the test on their two wheelers. Test time. Make a right turn, make a left turn, make a quick stop. She did not quite stop on the line--but good enough to pass the test. She became an official trike rider with a license. When the test person's see the stability of the , it will overcome a lot of issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cool I got my licence!

Thanks for all the replies to my question. I bit the bullet, went and took the test, and no kidding it was 5 minutes just like was posted. I had to make 2 circles and that was it! It has been so much fun to just decide that I am going for ride all by myself! Thanks again for the advice.

Spyder Garage

You might consider taking Abate class, it takes a weekend of your time, they will teach you how to ride safely, you won't regret it!

Ride safe!
    ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education) is a not-for-profit, safety, educational, charitable and advocacy motorcyclist organization. It's aims are to promote safety, protect rights and help others.
    2015 RT L , Red