Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Definitely not, i had a 03 Honda Shadow 750, liked it a lot, but when i saw the Spyder Rt for the first time, i had to have one. I don't regret it at all. I don't have any issues that prevent me from riding a two wheeler except i love the Spyder to much. I really didn't care for a 3 wheeler before the Spyder came out. These bikes are kool and great head turners.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default In A Heartbeat

Yes, I would go back in a heartbeat if I could go back about 10 years for sure. But at 71 I am fine on 2 wheels but don't feel comfortable with my wife on the back. If she decides she does not want to ride any more I would be back to my Harley. I like my Spyder a lot, BUT I like 2 wheels better.

Spyder Garage

Default Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Way would I go back

No, way would I go back to a riding 2 wheels again because, I didn't like the clutch/brake/shifting all at once. I did own a HD( switchback) at one point, then I saw the spyder ( first spyder 2012RT-SE5) so I bought it. I still wanted the freedom on the road that I had with the HD.

I am more visible, no balancing to deal with, and no clutch/brake/shifting to deal with, more stability, safer, etc.. no matter where I go with my current spyder ( 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac) people are asking me questions, and meeting other spyder owners/riders on the road. Seeing the country , go to spyder events, etc. Now when the 2014RT'S came out I had to up grade because of the 1330 ace engine, low maintance quiter engine, etc.

I am in my 50's and I have no health issues. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

As much as I like two wheels, it wouldn't be a good idea for me. Since I've had my last back surgery, my (shifting foot) has nerve damage which doesn't give me the strength to upshift very well. I had this issue with my 2008 spyder GS SM5 and mis-shifted several times. That is when I decided to go with the RT LTD SE5. If I was to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle though, I can say that I really do like the CTX 1300 from Honda. That is a sweet bike!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default No ... Sticking With the Spyder

A head-on collision in 1993 on 2 wheels kept me "out of the wind" for nearly 20 years. I was riding a custom built BMW K75LT -- BMW did not make a touring K75, so our dealer custom fit the fairing and bags from a K100LT -- color matched to hubby's K100LT. Anyway, typical m/c vs. car, turned left in front of me and the front of my BMW landed dead center (it was a small car, Toyota Camry). As for me, once I realized she was going to hit me I launched myself off the bike, did a flip, landing on the hood of the car on my back and the heal of one boot cracking her windshield. Then rolled off onto the ground with the bike just inches from my head (and still running). BTW, I made eye contact with the teen age driver and she still said "I didn't see you"!!! No broken bones, major bruises, and a very irritated sciatic nerve -- I basically walked away.

Fast forward to January 2012, when hubby has his m/c accident -- in the rain, shattered ankle, 5 weeks in hospital / rehab. As soon as he was able, got back on two with a 07 HD Ultra Classic. But, his ankle is in such bad shape ... he starts looking at the Spyder for the time when that heavy bike becomes too much. He test drove and then made the mistake of handing me the keys for my own test ride -- I think he has ridden the Spyder only twice since then. Says I stole it from him!

Still, even after more than 20 years ... I get a knot in the pit of my stomach every time I ride. I figure when that knot goes away, I will stop riding all together (complacency is a killer, IMHO).

All the best ..... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Would you go back?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco068 View Post
    Well folks as the title suggests, would you go back to riding a bike??? Also why did you choose the Spyder???
    I have no choice. Because of age and a hip replacement I did a lot of research on trikes. I discovered, in the late 80's the Dept of Public safety decided that the three (3) wheels atv's were unsafe because they had a tendency to turn over. Many deaths occurred because of this. I also discovered the death were caused by suddenly breaking and turning even on level ground.

Also, in the late 80's, some touring motorcycles were converted to trikes. (1 wheel in front and 2 wheels in the rear). Today almost of the touring motorcycles have converted to this design.

Can one imagine; the ATV'S were labeled unsafe and were discontinued and now motorcycles are being converted to the same system? A converted motorcycle traveling down the highway at 70 mph and suddenly has to stop.

This is the reason I ride a Can Am Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default Going back to 2 wheels

Nope, it is a Balance issue with me, but when I was looking for 3 wheelers I rode a few , nothing handled like the Spyder, so here I am still Loving my Spyder, even more than the Day I brought her home, but if I had my rathers, I would have loved to check out a HD ultra Classic, Guess i'll never know.

Midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

Default NO WAY!

I had a Honda 650 Silver Wing back in the 80's. After laying it down several times at low speed I sold it. Fast forward to 2013 and I bought my first Spyder. I loved it so much I traded this past January for a 2015 F3-S. I would not go back to two wheels and I have no physical disabilities.

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

After surviving a serious collision when a car turned left in front of me on my Harley my two wheel days were over due to the injuries received. After research I choose the Spyder because of it design and advanced technologies. I did not want a trike that was simply a bike cut in half with an axle bolted on the back. Yes I miss the effortless turning of a 2 wheel but have come to love my Spyder. I hate to admit it but I still talk to her and give her rump a pat as I walk by her in the garage. Given where I am at now would not go back even if I could.

cheers
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The wife won't ride two wheels

I have a Spyder for rides with the wife. My 2 Wheeler's are for riding alone. I don't think the Spyder is a replacement for a motorcycle, it's something different. Fun in its own way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode on two wheels for years. I loved my Harley Softail. After having cancer for the third time and not being comfortable two wheels, I switched to the Spyder. My wife can ride with me again. I would buy an Indian Scout if it had a larger gas tank and lower exhaust. I do really like the semi-automatic transmission and just having a foot brake along with not having to put my feet down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by plzzmrdj View Post
    I have no choice. Because of age and a hip replacement I did a lot of research on trikes. I discovered, in the late 80's the Dept of Public safety decided that the three (3) wheels atv's were unsafe because they had a tendency to turn over. Many deaths occurred because of this. I also discovered the death were caused by suddenly breaking and turning even on level ground.

Also, in the late 80's, some touring motorcycles were converted to trikes. (1 wheel in front and 2 wheels in the rear). Today almost of the touring motorcycles have converted to this design.

Can one imagine; the ATV'S were labeled unsafe and were discontinued and now motorcycles are being converted to the same system? A converted motorcycle traveling down the highway at 70 mph and suddenly has to stop.

This is the reason I ride a Can Am Spyder!
    Funny you mention trikes, I think trikes are great but they don't do it for me like the Spyder does.

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post
    Nope even if someone gave me another 2 wheeler I wouldn't go back. I love the comfort and the fact that I am able to relax and just ride. I don't worry about the sand, stones, pot holes and wet roads anymore. Obviously I still have to keep an eye out but I can watch the landscape a little more and just feel free. I am in with the others that got bit on their first test ryde. No looking back. Cindy
    Come on now. You still have to worry about potholes. How to straddle them with 3 wheels tracking in different areas of the lane. I find it much easier to avoid pot holes on a two wheeler where both wheels are on the same line versus the Spyder where they are all tracking different lines.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Question

So I am part of the target market that BRP is aiming for. Only 5% of the US population ride a motorcycle. BRP is aiming at the other 95% that do not ride motorcycles. I saw a Spyder back in 2009 at the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca. They open the track to anyone that wants to ride the track, and low and behold here comes this goofy looking thing on the track and I said that looks interesting. Had a chance encounter with a dealer a couple of years later. Then we saw some one that rented them in out area. By the time we got to the rental place he was out of business. I found out that there was a dealer just 5 miles away from my house and we stopped in for a look.........then a test drive.............we now have two spyders!! Never felt comfortable on two wheels, there is nothing like a Spyder! Love it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Come on now. You still have to worry about potholes. How to straddle them with 3 wheels tracking in different areas of the lane. I find it much easier to avoid pot holes on a two wheeler where both wheels are on the same line versus the Spyder where they are all tracking different lines.
    You just need to develop your skills better!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    You just need to develop your skills better!

Na, just don't ride on roads with potholes.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Is it wishing I could or fond memories....

Probably a little of both. There were only 4 two wheelers before I switched to 3 wheels last year, and many fond memories and wouldn't we all like to be younger/faster/more good looking again? I met my wife when all I had to ride was the old Yamaha and shanks mare, and she stuck with me through cold weather, and storms and even a little hail on our rides. After a 20 year hiatus, She suggested I might need a bike and 10 years and several bikes later, here I am on three wheels. Still enjoying it and thankful for every ride and experience!!!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I do miss 2 wheels, A LOT -- and if I could justify owning another FJR1300 I'd be on it !
    But -- common sense tells me that my arthritic joints will still feel bad

So, Spyder it is -- and we're both loving it

So -- would if I could but I shouldn't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I miss giving a bike the "One-cheek tweak", in a sweeping corner...
    But I wouldn't go back!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    My knees went to hell in my 40's and I thought my riding days were over. At 65, my wife insisted I buy a Spyder - I had just retired and had time on my hands.

Not only do I love it, I don't think I'd go back, even if medical science could fix my knees.
    Dan, Hayrog, and all ...

my knees went in an industrial accident when I was 17 years old. Two compound fractures with LOTs of bone missing in the dirt of the factory floor ...

When the surgeons were done (finally after my 21st birthday) my one leg is about 1" shorter than my other leg and this other leg had a 13 degree deflection. 13 degrees doesn't sound like much but I was so bowlegged I couldn't "stop a pig in an alley'.

That never stopped me and I have owned many many BMW motorcycles since. I just walked a little crooked.

Finally at about 60 years old my knees succumbed to osteoarthritis.

So I bought a 2014 Spider ... But then I could only walk a few hundred feet to where it was parked or I would have to sit down and wait until the pain subsided.

Enough of this.

Since then I have had BOTH knees replaced. What a miracle. The two legs are not only straight but absolutely no pain no matter how long I walk. The legs although they are all scarred up from all of the surgeries are simply beautiful to me.

All I say is go get them knees replaced. A couple days of pain and about a month of rehab and I am good to go ... No kidding it was just that simple.

Now I can use my BMWs or Spider but I find my Spider supremely comfortable to ride and it comes out most often.
    Last edited by blitzkreig; 07-27-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

I saw these and fell in love at first sight. I test drove it a couple of times and was sold... I ride my friends 2 wheeler when I visit him but love this bike toooo much..
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

I have had my Spyder for a year now! I rode 2 wheels for 39 years. I really like and enjoy my Spyder.
    So far have I kept my 2013 Kawasaki Vilcan Nomad 1700. I really enjoy the big V Twin.
    So for now I have both
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have just started riding a Spyder. This was because I missed, and lacked confidence in riding two wheeled cycles on the road (I have dirt bikes still). I thought this may bring me back into road motorcycle riding, a stepping stone backwards if you like. To get my fitness up.

In answer to the OP question, although I am still learning the spider, this makes me more determined to go back to two wheels health permitting (65 years old). And this is because , rarely mentioned above, it was the precise steering and effortless handling that a motorcycle has that brings enjoyment. Although Spyders appear fun to ride, they are not effortless and precise. I am surprised of the many aging and varying levels of disability people gravitating towards these. I ride an enduro Yamaha WR250F, have reasonable upper body strength and no great disabilities, but find the Spyder noticeably demanding in the steering department.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rosebelle View Post
    .......Although Spyders appear fun to ride, they are not effortless and precise. .......... but find the Spyder noticeably demanding in the steering department.

The factory alignment method generally used on Spyders leaves A LOT to be desired!! Get a 'proper' wheel alignment done on your Spyder & they become much more effortless & precise to steer. That brings us to the factory fitted 'black round things that keep the metal parts off the road' - the Kenda 'tires' really don't qualify for the tire label and barely qualify as good enough to be called crap!! Get some 'proper' tires fitted to go with that 'proper' wheel alignment & Spyders can & do become effortless & precise to ride!!

In fact, set them up right, forget about your entrenched 2wheel foibles, & learn to ride your Spyder the way IT should be ridden rather than trying to force it to behave like a 2wheeler while being ridden with 2wheel steering techniques & body movements, & instead learn to ride & use the best features of the chassis & engine, the different rev & power bands, the enhanced traction, steering, & handling characteristics etc, & your Spyder can be far more effortless & precise to ride than just about any 2wheeler, even if maybe not quite as outright fast in a straight line!! Buuut, fix the factory alignment & tire stuff-ups & then ridden/steered as a Spyder should be instead of trying to ride it like a 2wheeler, they become a blast to ride at speed thru the twisties; as well as being safer, more stable, have better braking, better steering, and basically are able to be ridden by a wider range of riders/wider skill range of operators than any 2wheeler - do that & you might begin to understand the appeal.

As long as you keep trying to force your Spyder into compliance with your 2wheel biased expectations, you are bound to be disappointed. Funnily enough, they AREN'T two-wheelers! Not only do they have another wheel up front, but when you learn to ride them rather than fighting them, they become sooo much more!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2016 at 09:09 PM.